Author Topic: Yet another SERPA discussion...  (Read 10322 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Yet another SERPA discussion...
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
I think I read the other day that the military of India just put in a huge Blackhawk holster order.  Lots of PDs use them, too.  Of course, PDs are notoriously cheap.

And who's this wearing a Serpa?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:36:24 PM by TheQ »

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
Re: Yet another SERPA discussion...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:16 AM »
I think I read the other day that the military of India just put in a huge Blackhawk holster order.  Lots of PDs use them, too.  Of course, PDs are notoriously cheap.

that even looks like my EDC minus the hogue. same way i carry too. serpa with belt, not paddle. i took the paddle off shortly after the pic i snapped and dont use it anymore

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
seems like alot of fans of the blackhawk serpa holsters :) i love mine. despite the bad wrap they get and alot of bashing and AD when drawing.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:57:44 PM »

If any don't know, that's Rick Ector in those pics.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

If any don't know, that's Rick Ector in those pics.

Nobody's perfect, well...except me :)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:55:20 PM »
Im confused :-\....  All these people carrying in Serpa Holsters, and nobody has shot themselves? We must be doing it wrong...   ;)
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »
Make sure you don't use that rear end piece of that AR pistol as a butt stock, or else the law will get you!

I don't worry about serpa holsters, I shoot myself all the time but it's only 9mm.  Only .45's can cause any harm :D

I guess I should be like the cool kids and take some pictures.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Im confused :-....  All these people carrying in Serpa Holsters, and nobody has shot themselves? We must be doing it wrong...   ;)

The scary part is the better quality  training facilities do not allow serpa holsters so we now see who is spending time leaning.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
Actually I believe some of the big dollar schools that once prohibited Serpas are now allowing them again.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »
Actually I believe some of the big dollar schools that once prohibited Serpas are now allowing them again.

When I was at Front Site a couple of years ago they wouldn't allow Serpa's but they did allow Glocks …. I can understand that putting a Glock in a Serpa and practicing drawing "fast as you can" for 4 days multiplied times hundreds of students per week, some students with little to no experience = accident waiting to happen.    One instructor mentioned that Front Site had 8 accidental shootings over the years, all of them leg shots.  I didn't research his statement … could be true.   Front Site also was relentless in having us practice ultra slow motion re-holstering…… a good habit to have.  It is too easy to catch the trigger on your shirt tail.

I used the CQC version of the Serpa without the retention system. ….. same as I use for IDPA and occasionally for concealed carry.  I like my Serpa and I feel that with practice and my 1911 it is a safe combination for me.  I bought a Safariland for my 1911 and I didn't like it …. I still have it in the package …. only used it to test and now it sits on a shelf in the office.  Sigh.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
When I was at Front Site a couple of years ago they wouldn't allow Serpa's but they did allow Glocks

Did they allow Sig Sauer holsters?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
Did they allow Sig Sauer holsters?

I don't recall a discussion on Sigs.  When I said they allow Glocks I meant the gun .... Not the Glock holster.  I don't recall the conversation on holsters other than Serpas.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
At least the Sig holsters make your finger index along the frame/slide instead of the trigger guard like the Serpa's do.  I used to carry my FNP9 in a modified Serpa but once I tried a quality holster by SafariLand I could see why the Serpa was not the best choice.  The Safariland retention system is not as easy to discern for the casual observer or would be gun-grabber and using the thumb to release the retention reduces the chances of a ND IMO.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
At least the Sig holsters make your finger index along the frame/slide instead of the trigger guard like the Serpa's do.

The Serpa's finger position is the same as the Sig, along the frame above the trigger guard.  It is not in line with the trigger guard.

Some interesting Serpa stories here.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?99676-SERPA-Issue-Compilation
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:28:29 PM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »
I guess the world is safer then if I just use a passive retention holster so that I don't blow my knee caps off and since everyone knows how to manipulate the Serpa anyways it isn't stopping anyone from grabbing it.  RIGHT?!???  :-X

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 02:21:50 AM »
While not a fan of the serpa, it with practice is a OK holster IMHO. Some pistols have very limited holster selection on the market (Sig pro 2022 etc...) so if it comes down to no retention or a Serpa, the Serpa is a better choice for a OC pistol in "close quaters" OC carry situations where retention is key. This said, the best retention in the world is a SA OCer who knows how to guard their pistol using forearm placement. There are many "poser / internet warriors" out there... I say use what works well for you & SCREW what anyone else says, as we are all different & what works for one may not for others. ;) . Just remember: practice, practice, practice - as a gunfight is the last place you want to be working on your draw technique. :o
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »
The Safariland ALS is not without its problems, too.

+++++

Possible Malfunction issues with Safariland ALS Holsters

While at briefing today an Administrative Message was posted regarding the Safariland ALS Holsters from the Texas DPS Austin Headquarters. I typed the message as it was posted verbatim.

"This is a notice to all Law Enforcement Agencies using the Safariland ALS Holsters.

Provo Police Department, in Provo, Utah has experienced malfunctions with Safariland ALS Holsters. Officers experience failures when shooting prone and gravel was introduced into the body of the holster. Gravel became trapped behind the ALS mechanism causing a re-holstered pistol to lock inside the holster. When this happened the pistol could not be removed from the holster without specialized tools. This failure occurred with 58% of the ALS equipped holsters while training officers in specific gun fighting drills on the ground.

Provo Police Department has made Safariland aware of this issue."

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »
Anybody shooting themselves with the safariland?

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »

Safariland makes pistols too? What calibers. ;)
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »

I have used both the Serpa & the Safariland holsters. To date I have not shot myself, I guess I'm in need of some DEA "special agent" training, as I am clearly doing something wrong... :P
ETA - Note that after the agent shoots himself with an "unloaded" Glock S&W 40 he attempts to get his helper to hand him a M4 carbine..that he also swears is unloaded! Note the childrens reactions and the non action of school officials on hand. ???

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:44:04 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »
LoL, I never saw the whole video of that before.  When they go to give him the carbine I saw one of the parents cover up his daughters ears LOL.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 02:24:54 AM »
All these issues with serpa holsters has me carrying mexican to avoid them.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
One reason law enforcement doesn't like the Serpa is because they can supposedly be broken off the belt attachment during a gun grab fight. Not sure how Mexican carry solves that.  :P

Offline Jeff

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
One reason law enforcement doesn't like the Serpa is because they can supposedly be broken off the belt attachment during a gun grab fight. Not sure how Mexican carry solves that.  :P

Well there would be no holster to break :D

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 02:21:16 AM »
All these issues with serpa holsters has me carrying mexican to avoid them.

how many you carry?  i get tired if i carry more than 3... plus, their knifes only do damage at close range...
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »
how many you carry?  i get tired if i carry more than 3... plus, their knifes only do damage at close range...

LMAO! Nicely done Sir. 8)
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 11:02:14 PM »
I don't carry Mexican(s). I carry mexican. Would you want to carry one of these around?!?!?

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
I thought it was illegal to put cameras in the bathroom GEESH