Author Topic: Downtown Detroit gun thefts draw notice  (Read 11143 times)

Offline hevymetal

Downtown Detroit gun thefts draw notice
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131205/METRO01/312050044/Downtown-Detroit-gun-thefts-draw-notice?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

a Howell woman had reported her car stolen outside a Greektown flower shop and that a shotgun and 9 mm handgun were in the trunk, others pointed out there have been a number of firearms pilfered from vehicles downtown recently, with four thefts reported in the previous week alone.

Because of a new rule barring off-duty police officers from carrying weapons into football stadiums, Dolunt said a Detroit police officer’s gun was stolen from his car earlier this season.

Since when, I thought the exemption box check and being an officer allowed them to carry just about anywhere?

Just a word of advice to the members here. If you leave your firearm in your vehicle, secure it properly. Preferably in a gun safe bolted or welded to the vehicle.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
Re: Downtown Detroit gun thefts draw notice
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »
all the more reason to get a CPL and OC in the PFZ's

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »
A suggestion - if you must leave your sidearm in the vehicle for whatever reason - even though you lock it in a gun safe there is still no guarantee the whole vehicle won't be taken. To make things harder on dirt bag thugs - break the pistol down (semi-auto's) and take at minimum the barrel with you. That way even if they get the gun - you have render it inoperable until they can find a new barrel or sell it off in parts. Added bonus should they shoot someone the gun ballistics will not match your barrel - giving you extra legal coverage.

"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
Do they even have ballistics records on all our pistols anyways?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
Do they even have ballistics records on all our pistols anyways?
After the fact ballistics testing.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »

That's what I thought.  DAMN YOU TV for making me think they had magical test shots of the rounds from my barrel that they could easily identify a round to me that they found in the body of a stray cat!!

I do not shoot cats for those of you that might think I am not joking.

I use my car.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Downtown Detroit gun thefts draw notice
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »

THIS! Gun gets stolen - you report it. Bad guy shoots someone and gun found at crime scene - test will be ran.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »
Yep because bg dont care they consider it a "throw away" and hope someone else picks it up and gets caught with it and goes down for their crime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »
Let me get this right....
I have a gun, it gets stolen.
It gets used in a crime and for some unknown reason the criminal LEAVES the gun there.
It gets tested & it is the gun used in the crime.
The police are going to arrest ME?
If I had broken it down prier to being stolen & taken the barrel, the tests will not match the barrel I still have but will match the barrel that is in the gun registered to me but the police won't arrest me because I say the barrel I have is the one for the gun they tested?
Has anyone been arrested because they left a gun at a crime scene?

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131205/METRO01/312050044/Downtown-Detroit-gun-thefts-draw-notice?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Since when, I thought the exemption box check and being an officer allowed them to carry just about anywhere?

Just a word of advice to the members here. If you leave your firearm in your vehicle, secure it properly. Preferably in a gun safe bolted or welded to the vehicle.

Just exactly what does the LAW define as the "proper" way to store a firearm in a vehicle?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
if its reported stolen it shouldnt be on you. i have yet to have a firearm stolen then used in a crime and have it come back to me in a bad way. i did have my first pistol stolen when i was 21 during a home robbery when i was at work. a few years later, maybe 3-4 years ago the police contacted me and said they have recovered it. but it has been in evidence since then, i pretty much gave up on getting it back. i guess it was used in a robbery, go figure, and they arrested someone who had it on them. everytime i called the police said it would remain in evidence until they could release it and they would contact me if/when that happened. yeah still havent heard. not holding my breath

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »
The law has no provision for how a firearm should be stored in a vehicle.

IIRC, there is a provision making you criminally responsible if your children get a hold of your gun without authorization and use it illegally.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »

The NFL issued a new rule that all teams must follow: No guns allowed in the stadium on gameday, except for on-duty LEO's. Now the question of who own's the stadium comes up and if they can legally ban guns. If it is privately owned than they can legally ban off duty cops from carrying. If it is publicly owned, even through an "authority", then in Michigan it can't be enforced, but it will probably take a lawsuit to force the issue; and I'm sure the NFL will pay big money for the lawyers to defend the suit.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
The point of taking a barrel with you should be a no-brainer. I used to put it in a ziploc and carry it in my pants or jacket pocket. If the gun is stolen, and you report it and tell them it was only the gun MINUS the barrel you look like a responsible citizen. Would a Co prosecutor charge you somehow? Doubtful, unless you live in Wayne Co. and some kid(s) got killed with your stolen gun - then maybe, as Kim "Worthless" Worthy is a anti-gun libtard. She is capable of trumping up any charge.
:(  In short - YOU want to make the stolen gun as difficult as possible for a crook to use. Carrying it as much as possible greatly aids in that mission.  8)
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

The NFL issued a new rule that all teams must follow: No guns allowed in the stadium on gameday, except for on-duty LEO's. Now the question of who own's the stadium comes up and if they can legally ban guns. If it is privately owned than they can legally ban off duty cops from carrying. If it is publicly owned, even through an "authority", then in Michigan it can't be enforced, but it will probably take a lawsuit to force the issue; and I'm sure the NFL will pay big money for the lawyers to defend the suit.

This question:

Can a private entity that rents an other wise preempted facility ban guns?

Has been brought to a few pro-2A lawyers I know. They have unanimously said:

A very strong (most likely victorious) case could be made against our side.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
but it has been in evidence since then, i pretty much gave up on getting it back.

It'll probably get back to you...eventually.  I've had several returned.  One sat in an evidence lock-up in Mississippi for many years.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
The point of taking a barrel with you should be a no-brainer.

I always carry Condition Butterscotch.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
A friend of mines father had a firearm stolen from him many MANY years ago.  After the Detroit police recovered it they notified him and said that he can have it back after the court case settled.  It was about 5 years but he never got his firearm back.  He just tells everyone now that "The Detroit Police stole my gun"

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »

A friend of mines father had a firearm stolen from him many MANY years ago.  After the Detroit police recovered it they notified him and said that he can have it back after the court case settled.  It was about 5 years but he never got his firearm back.  He just tells everyone now that "The Detroit Police stole my gun"

Has he followed up with them?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »
ive followed up a few times and always get the same answer."it will remain in police custody until the case/appeals are settled and it is no longer needed as evidence". when/if i do get it back its probably going to be in rough condition as we all know criminals dont care about throw away guns.