Author Topic: 9mm preferred defense ammo  (Read 8200 times)

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
9mm preferred defense ammo
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »
Looking to what I have before heading to the cpl training course this weekend.   I noticed its all pretty much the same gram and type of ammo.   

Do you guys have a preferred ammo that you swear by when carrying,  regardless if it's oc or cc?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »
Speer Gold Dot 124+p bonded bullets.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
Re: 9mm preferred defense ammo
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
Hornady Critical Duty

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:12:12 AM »
Critical Defense is where its at..  You could get the Zombie version too, same thing only with a green polymer instead of red, and it usually easier to find. 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
I have old crappy federal Hi-shok's 147 grain (not hydra shocks). the ones that are super cheap because they don't expand and are terrible haha.

I am thinking about buying some spear gold dots, or some Federal HST's.

I was even thinking about DRT ammo, powdered core defensive loads.  Those are likely what I will carry but I'm not positive yet.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:11:07 AM »
Today's modern defensive ammo is pretty damn good from most manufactures. Considering that the 9mm ball (fmj) has killed MILLIONS over the last century..I wouldn't be that worried. In the early 1990's I carried CORBON JHP +P rated at 1325 fps. Things have only gotten better. I still carry those (new of course) or similar 9mm loads. Buffalo bore make good ammo IMHO, but like I said most companies do today.  Note - make sure your gun can handle these hot loads. Some cannot.

http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/corbon/sd09115-20

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=119
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:17:12 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:13:42 AM »
Xpiatio, there's some good info in this thread:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3437

Offline Raggs

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:34:36 AM »

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
i carry critical duty in my .40

there is a list of great SD ammo from the AR15 forums

9mm
Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP   (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP   (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+   (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP   (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP   (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P   (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP   (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP   (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P   (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP   (P9HST2)
Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »

Critical Defense is where its at..  You could get the Zombie version too, same thing only with a green polymer instead of red, and it usually easier to find.

Critical defense is a no-go against barriers. I stopped carrying it for this reason.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
critical duty is designed for barriers i believe. thats what i typically carry

also have some ranger bonded and HST i sometimes carry

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
Critical defense is a no-go against barriers. I stopped carrying it for this reason.
I don't plan on shooting walls or cars. If I'm in a self defense situation is going to be with a person and flesh. If I'm shooting at someone through a barrier, I'm more than likely not in a self defense scenario and shouldn't be shooting at them in the first place
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
I don't plan on shooting walls or cars. If I'm in a self defense situation is going to be with a person and flesh. If I'm shooting at someone through a barrier, I'm more than likely not in a self defense scenario and shouldn't be shooting at them in the first place

It's not up to you to decide what kind of cover is in the area.  There would likely be some cars or walls around.  Not many muggers are going to attack you in an open field where you can see them coming from 200 yards away.  As soon as someone presents a gun someone is likely going to hit the nearest cover so while the encounter could end two feet from each other, I wouldn't count on that.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »

I'd plan for all scenarios. I used to carry Critical Defense. Now you know why I switched to gold dots.

Don't make excuses for your favorite ammo.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
I agree with Q.  What if your wife/girlfriend/daughter is grabbed and put into a car, or you have to shoot through house concealment like drywall?

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
I agree with Q.  What if your wife/girlfriend/daughter is grabbed and put into a car, or you have to shoot through house concealment like drywall?

This isnt some video game...  I would not be shooting in the direction of a loved one at all...  and if i need to shoot (which is very doubtfull) through drywall/car windows etc, critical defense will still perform, just not as good as it was intended.  I mean, if they are that bad, stand behind a sheet of drywall, and let someone fire a couple rounds at you...  think you'll be alright?  Hornady states they are not tested in those conditions.  Not that they dont work. 

You guys prepare for all situations, Ill prepare for the most likely.  At the end of they day, they will both have done their job.  I did my homework, i have numerous boxes of SD ammo, my everyday carry is C.D. though...  Thats what i decided on based on my research.  But if it makes anyone happy, i carry 3 mags with me, 2 of which are loaded with Critical defense, and a third with Golden Sabers, if thats any better...

And for more pointless arguing, ford or chevy?  And what brand oil?  lol...

Offline Jeff

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 03:32:08 AM »

And for more pointless arguing, ford or chevy?  And what brand oil?  lol...

Chevy---Valvoline

Anyone who disagrees is the son of Hitler and eats babies.

Well carry what you feel comfortable with is how it is for me.  If someone feels comfortable with marbles and a slingshot then so be it.  I still plan to soil myself and fetal position.

It's difficult for me to find many options for 9mm defensive rounds still.  Typically I will find a random box of something somewhere so my options are limited unless I order online which I may have to do.  When I got my Federal Hi-shok's I had no idea what was good or bad.  The folks at target sports on woodward just said "this is what you need" so I just said OK!  I did my gun research but not my ammo research at the time.  And until recently I thought I had HYDRA-shoks but found out I had the even older version HI-SHOKS that were bad.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 06:43:12 AM »

Chevy---Valvoline

Anyone who disagrees is the son of Hitler and eats babies.

Well carry what you feel comfortable with is how it is for me.  If someone feels comfortable with marbles and a slingshot then so be it.  I still plan to soil myself and fetal position.

It's difficult for me to find many options for 9mm defensive rounds still.  Typically I will find a random box of something somewhere so my options are limited unless I order online which I may have to do.  When I got my Federal Hi-shok's I had no idea what was good or bad.  The folks at target sports on woodward just said "this is what you need" so I just said OK!  I did my gun research but not my ammo research at the time.  And until recently I thought I had HYDRA-shoks but found out I had the even older version HI-SHOKS that were bad.

Royal Purple FTW

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
Well he could always load like we did back in the old days....2 holllow points...ball, ball, and so on. The whole need for good JHP's stems from the tendency of 9mm ball over penetrating. Just saying... Right now defense ammo is still hard to find on the shelf of your local box store. FYI in the old days I had a chance to shoot bullet proof glass (1/2 inch) with 9mm black talons. They went through so easily we had to inspect the sheets to make sure we were hitting them. Looked like someone took a small cigar and simply burned right through it. Also got to shoot a kevlar vest. A cluster of shots on top of each other or clover leafed could break the weave.

Carry what you can shoot well with and you can get. Can you have to shoot through a door / drywall etc... yes... however unlikey, it can happen.  Then again, I'd carry a particle beam weapon if possible.   ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »