Author Topic: Should a gun carrier get involved in someone else's fight?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
Should a gun carrier get involved in someone else's fight?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »
There was a video floating around recently of the knock out game. In the video this scumbag punches a woman who does not get knocked out and begins to beat the attacker. A few seconds later some dude runs in and kicks the scumbag in the face and then proceeds to beat him as well.  Here again walking up on it who is the bad guy and good guys?  From my experience just shouting an order will sometimes end the conflict other times you may have to grab a shirt and throw then re evaluate.
This is touchy but it is important to self educate and learn other forms of self defense besides a firearm. otherwise I believe you will go to that first. Self preservation for you and others is more than just a firearm.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »

There was a video floating around recently of the knock out game. In the video this scumbag punches a woman who does not get knocked out and begins to beat the attacker. A few seconds later some dude runs in and kicks the scumbag in the face and then proceeds to beat him as well.  Here again walking up on it who is the bad guy and good guys?  From my experience just shouting an order will sometimes end the conflict other times you may have to grab a shirt and throw then re evaluate.
This is touchy but it is important to self educate and learn other forms of self defense besides a firearm. otherwise I believe you will go to that first. Self preservation for you and others is more than just a firearm.

General George Patton

I'm staying out of other ppl's fights. I carry to protect myself and those that I love -- period.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:04 PM »
"We start with the concept that the threat of lethal force (your drawn gun) is only applicable when you or someone else is facing a lethal threat. In this case, assuming the situation is as Greg reports it, I don’t see where there was a lethal threat which warranted the CCW holder to have his own gun in play. Generally, in the absence of an immediate and otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm, the lethal tool (the gun) is not the proper choice whether you’re protecting yourself or protecting others. "

MI law does permit the use of deadly force to prevent rape...

Offline Smashfacekrav

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »

"We start with the concept that the threat of lethal force (your drawn gun) is only applicable when you or someone else is facing a lethal threat. In this case, assuming the situation is as Greg reports it, I don’t see where there was a lethal threat which warranted the CCW holder to have his own gun in play. Generally, in the absence of an immediate and otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm, the lethal tool (the gun) is not the proper choice whether you’re protecting yourself or protecting others. "

MI law does permit the use of deadly force to prevent rape...

I was under that "sexual assault" rape, committed if someone broke into your home was justifiable. Or is it justifiable because they broke into your home? 

General George Patton

Offline Jeff

Re: Should a gun carrier get involved in someone else's fight?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »
Or great bodily harm.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »
I'm staying out of other ppl's fights. I carry to protect myself and those that I love -- period.

it's 10 pm, you come walking out of the store and find a man(or men) assaulting an elderly woman. you can all the police, but it will take them a minimum of several minutes to get there, you don' step in and stop that?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
depends what he was assaulting her with. if he had a gun and she was in hysterics. i may step in. but in most cases. no. ive called the cops, ive done my due diligence

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »

it's 10 pm, you come walking out of the store and find a man(or men) assaulting an elderly woman. you can all the police, but it will take them a minimum of several minutes to get there, you don' step in and stop that?

Sorry man -- not my fight. Call me heartless.

I definitely wouldn't draw my gun first thing. If anything, I may inquire and make noise from a distance. If the attacker then turns on me -- it's on!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
About a year ago a thread was started on a large gun forum of another state.  It asked if the members would assist a cop in apparent need of help.  The thread went on for pages and pages and the majority of respondents said they would NOT assist or get personally involved.  A few said they would call 911, that's it.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
Sorry man -- not my fight. Call me heartless.

I definitely wouldn't draw my gun first thing. If anything, I may inquire and make noise from a distance. If the attacker then turns on me -- it's on!
fair enough. i personally couldn't stand by and let something like that continue, but i agree that pulling my weapon would not be my first move.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
It may not be worth it to go to the aide of another with your weapon.  In the least you're spending way more money than you have on legal fees, possible jail or prison time.  Strain on your family could result in losing them.

I like to say NO I will not get involved with a cool head but in the heat of the moment I just might.

Would probably be more difficult to watch someone get murdered or severely beaten than I think.  Hopefully I am never in that situation, hopefully none of us ever are.

Offline Smashfacekrav

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »

It may not be worth it to go to the aide of another with your weapon.  In the least you're spending way more money than you have on legal fees, possible jail or prison time.  Strain on your family could result in losing them.

I like to say NO I will not get involved with a cool head but in the heat of the moment I just might.

Would probably be more difficult to watch someone get murdered or severely beaten than I think.  Hopefully I am never in that situation, hopefully none of us ever are.

I second that. I carry to be prepared but I do hope I never have to pull it.
Although I think protecting my family would be easier than a stranger

Considering the type of individuals who do carry, I have a hard time believing they would do nothing.   But to each his own.

General George Patton

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »

for me personally, my conscience would never let me forget it if i did nothing. i'd rather spend all my money than live with the thought that i let an innocent person die rather than help becasue i was afraid of our legal system.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 01:36:29 PM »
for me personally, my conscience would never let me forget it if i did nothing. i'd rather spend all my money than live with the thought that i let an innocent person die rather than help becasue i was afraid of our legal system.

I probably would wuss out and actually help then be more broke and miserable than I am now hehe.

Offline METL

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
He might have heard her yelling 'rape' but being that it was broad daylight, on a busy thoroughfare, and they were both fully clothed, I wouldn't think much of it....  might video it...

He starts ripping her clothes off, it might pique my attention.... or pulling his pants off...  until then, the calls of rape would get my attention, but I would hope I would be sound of mind enough to leave the pistol in the holster for the time being.