Author Topic: The problem with big hands  (Read 13784 times)

Offline fozzy71

Re: The problem with big hands
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »
I absolutely hate shooting my DB9 and I do not have what I would consider to be big hands at 5'9" and 180#.  I am considering a boberg as it has significantly reduced recoil from what I have read but I really want to at least hold one before I spend 1k+ on a pocket pistol - http://www.bobergarms.com/

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
My son bought an XD-S .45 ACP a couple of weeks ago.  It is post-recall.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
I absolutely hate shooting my DB9 and I do not have what I would consider to be big hands at 5'9" and 180#.  I am considering a boberg as it has significantly reduced recoil from what I have read but I really want to at least hold one before I spend 1k+ on a pocket pistol - http://www.bobergarms.com/
K9

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
BigT let me know how it goes.  I have yet to go to Silverbullet to see if they have a XD-s I could try out.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
K9

Can this actually be carried in a pocket holster?  Can you get all 3 fingers on the grip below the trigger guard?

My DB9 is 4" tall with mag.  Boberg XR9-L is 4.2".  Kahr K9 is 4.5" which might be a bit tall for pocket carry.  I really want something I can pocket carry for a BUG and still get my pinky finger on the grip if possible. 

I have been drooling over the boberg for a year or two now.  It is very innovative in it's design to shorten the OAL and maintain a full length barrel while reducing recoil at the same time.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »
Can this actually be carried in a pocket holster?  Can you get all 3 fingers on the grip below the trigger guard?

Yes and yes.  I carry the larger K40 in my pocket or on my ankle.  Although some people only want something as small as a Kel-Tec P3AT for a pocket gun.  I want something substantial I can grip easily, securely, and with confidence.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: The problem with big hands
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
Yes and yes.  I carry the larger K40 in my pocket or on my ankle.  Although some people only want something as small as a Kel-Tec P3AT for a pocket gun.  I want something substantial I can grip easily, securely, and with confidence.

I want to see those 1970's bell bottom pants you wear with the ankle holster..O0

Just kidding ...some of the pocket guns have extended mags that give you a decent grip. Kel-Tec P32 has a extended 10 round mags available that work well. Browning 7.65mm ( 32acp) has good penetration in ballistic gel testing (15 inches). The problem with pocket guns is people try to use hollow points in them - which cancels the penetrative benefit and causes feeding issues in some models. I would rather punch a hole deep in a attacker and have a FMJ round "tumble & bounce" than a jhp that stops after four inches or so. This is a common mistake made by novices IMHO. 9mm / 357 sig/ 357 mag/S&W.40/10mm all have the velocity where one can benefit from the expansion of jhp's. .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:37:20 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Re: Re: The problem with big hands
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »
I want to see those 1970's bell bottom pants you wear with the ankle holster.

That's true.  With ankle holsters you have to wear loose pants. I don’t care how small your BUG is, unless it is the size of a Kel-Tec P3AT you will need to wear pants with loose pant legs. That is no problem for me because I like loose slacks, but if you are young and wear skin-tight pants this won’t work for you.

I also agree with your position about not using JHP for .380 and below.  You need as much penetration as you can get.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 09:13:32 AM »
BigT let me know how it goes.  I have yet to go to Silverbullet to see if they have a XD-s I could try out.

I guarantee they have an XDS you can try. That's where I got mine and I shot their rental before buying one (one of the first off the shelf). I was just in there Friday and they had 3-4 in the case.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
Since I'm looking for a BUG, would caliber really matter?  Grant it if I'm reaching for my BUG then probably the assailant would be close to me.  I would think a 40 or a 45 would stop the assailant more quickly than a 9 would.  Or perhaps it wouldn't matter.  I'm just thinking outloud.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 04:37:32 PM »
Since I'm looking for a BUG, would caliber really matter?  Grant it if I'm reaching for my BUG then probably the assailant would be close to me.  I would think a 40 or a 45 would stop the assailant more quickly than a 9 would.  Or perhaps it wouldn't matter.  I'm just thinking outloud.

It wouldn't matter.  The only way to stop a threat dead in it's tracks guaranteed is a head shot.  And a heart shot from any caliber they will still be alive and functional until their brain loses oxygen.  They could keel over from pain or shock though and stop.

A BUG is always a good idea, just have to practice drawing with it, should also place your firearms in a position that allows you to draw from either hand.

Just when considering a backup gun, if you wouldn't consider it for a primary then it's probably not a good choice for a backup.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »
Just an update - (I know this is thread necromancy)

Ended up taking the glock plunge - owner of a new Gen 4 Glock 27.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
went to a LGS and looked at the glock 42. holy crap that thing is tiny, smaller than the 27/26 etc. new meaning to "baby glock"

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:48 PM »
For anyone reading this:

You don't need your pinky finger on the grip when shooting. It is neither a safety issue, or a accuracy issue. It's a training issue.

I trained myself to shoot that way and can tell you it probably tames recoil better than you people who think the pinky grip is important. The higher your grip, the better you will handle the recoil.

It's no different than "grip angle". Learn to run the gun you got. (It also opens up your options more).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
Since I'm looking for a BUG, would caliber really matter?

I carry .40 S&W BUG, although I would have no compunction whatsoever about carrying a 9mm.  I would not carry a .380 Auto, though, but that's just me.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »
my bug is a a .40 as well as my main. love that round :)

i carry my 14+1 SD everywhere

i also carry my CC BUG in places you would not want to try to retrieve it from!!

glaco king butt tuk hahahaha

Offline Jeff

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
Shoot a Glock 20, then a Glock 29 and tell me the pinky doesn't help.

I don't really "need" my pinky but it is more comfortable.  I know people who buy dumb guns just so they can fit their pinky on the grip though.  CRAZY.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
i also carry my CC BUG in places you would not want to try to retrieve it from!!

glaco king butt tuk hahahaha

Colon carry is not recommended.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 03:36:54 PM »
god forbid i have a ND while colon carrying  :-\ :|> O0

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »
Shoot a Glock 20, then a Glock 29 and tell me the pinky doesn't help.

I don't really "need" my pinky but it is more comfortable.  I know people who buy dumb guns just so they can fit their pinky on the grip though.  CRAZY.
Never said it wasn't comfortable. It's about training. You shouldn't miss the pinky.