Author Topic: Downtown Detroit gun thefts draw notice  (Read 10175 times)

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: Downtown Detroit gun thefts draw notice
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
This question:

Can a private entity that rents an other wise preempted facility ban guns?

Has been brought to a few pro-2A lawyers I know. They have unanimously said:

A very strong (most likely victorious) case could be made against our side.

I would be extremely interested in the logic behind this. If this is unanimous, I would imagine it has to be because of some jacked up case law out there that applies.

Because if that's the case, what is then to prevent local municipalities from indefinitely renting to a private party for say "management purposes" if they want to get around preemption.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Jeff

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »
Has he followed up with them?

Unfortunately not.  He is considering it a loss at this point.  I said I would go down there and complain until I got it back.  He said he doesn't even want to go down to Detroit, it's been so long he doesn't feel that it's worth it anymore.  He thinks that it's not even at the police station and is probably in some cops home by now.

I wouldn't let them keep it that's for sure if it were mine but it's not.  He's not going to press the matter so I guess It's gone.  If I were one of his two children I would certainly be all over it.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 03:46:45 PM »
  He thinks that it's not even at the police station and is probably in some cops home by now.
This should be easy to determine. Go to the MSP or your local cop shop and see if your pistol is still listed as "stolen" or is now registered to someone else.  Bring serial number of pistol.  If it is now registered to someone else, file a police report for stolen goods and get it back.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »
The point of taking a barrel with you should be a no-brainer. I used to put it in a ziploc and carry it in my pants or jacket pocket. If the gun is stolen, and you report it and tell them it was only the gun MINUS the barrel you look like a responsible citizen. Would a Co prosecutor charge you somehow? Doubtful, unless you live in Wayne Co. and some kid(s) got killed with your stolen gun - then maybe, as Kim "Worthless" Worthy is a anti-gun libtard. She is capable of trumping up any charge.
:(  In short - YOU want to make the stolen gun as difficult as possible for a crook to use. Carrying it as much as possible greatly aids in that mission.  8)

Just what do you fear a prosecutor could possibly charge you with?

Do you know of ANY example of an owner being charged for the actions of a stolen gun or auto or knife or anything else?

Aren't you afraid the barrel will go off in your pocket if it isn't in a holster?

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
Just what do you fear a prosecutor could possibly charge you with?

Do you know of ANY example of an owner being charged for the actions of a stolen gun or auto or knife or anything else?

Aren't you afraid the barrel will go off in your pocket if it isn't in a holster?

I'm picturing them trying to push some bunk 'strict liability' scenario..
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide