Author Topic: Celebration Cinema, Portage Dec 14, 2013  (Read 7018 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Celebration Cinema, Portage Dec 14, 2013
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »
After the OC lunch at Theo & Stacy's I went by Gander Mountain to browse - No issues.

I then went to Celebration Cinema in Portage. As it was snowing, I waited until I got to the door and tucked my coat behind my gun so I was OC when I stepped inside. (Yes, I have a CPL.)

I bought a ticket and hit the restroom before the show, then I got a soda.

I was early, so I was the first customer in the theater. One employee was doing a last minute scan for trash.

After the movie, Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, I hit the restroom just outside the theater, then I got a refill on my soda. I was carrying my heavy coat and had my hoody tucked behind the gun.

No one said a thing and there were no looks that I noticed.

I got outside, set my drink on the steps and put on my coat. As I pick up my soda to go down the steps to my car the manager comes out and tells me I can't have my gun in the theater.

I pointed out that since they have a sign on the entrances, lettering on the glass between the doors, saying occupancy 2500, that I have to OC. The guy does not understand the law and thinks I can't have a gun at all because it is an entertainment facility. I explain that someone with a CPL must OC in this scenario, but because it is private property, they can ask me to leave. He did not seem to get or care about this difference.

I found it very odd that he was asking me to leave as I was already outside and headed to my car.

He said that an employee saw my gun and told him because the employees "know that no one can have a gun in the theater."

I told him that I have OC'd there multiple times and no one ever said anything.

I pointed out that there is no sign saying no weapons, or did I miss it? He had no answer for a lack of signs. I also pointed out that there are no metal detectors or armed guards to keep me safe, so I have to protect myself and my loved ones. I was actually by myself.

He said that he thought it was safe there and came across as thinking that I must be out of my mind. I mentioned nut jobs look for places like that. I did not immediately recall the name of the "Aurora Theater shooting."

I told him that if I could not protect myself then they did not want my money. That got his attention and he said as long as I kept my gun in my car, I was welcome. I told him that if they did not guarantee my safety, then they didn't need my money. I told him that I would tell everyone I know not to go there anymore.

He then said, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

That set me off. I was polite but I am sure animated, when I replied, "You don't need to apologize for MY feelings. They are my feelings and I can feel anyway I want." He looked very sheepish and uncomfortable as no one must have ever called him on that B.S. statement before.

I asked him if it was corporate policy and he said yes. So I asked him if it was corporate policy to ban a legal activity. He obviously wasn't paying attention, because he looked puzzled and asked if I said "illegal activity."

We continued back and forth a few times and I could tell what I said did not matter to him. He just did not want the scary gun in his theater, but he did want my money. So I gave up trying to get him to understand and left.

I should have taken Adam's last tri-fold after lunch. I don't know if he would have accepted it, but I would have at least had some information to give him.

Two more important things:

• I should have asked his name.
  • I should have made sure my voice recorder was on, I turned it off for the movie so I wouldn't get in trouble for illegally recording the audio. In addition to documenting the encounter, I could have learned from it and improved on how I handle future negative encounters. I would like to verify that my tone was a civil as I wanted it to be.

So once I got home and let the dog out after being gone all day, I typed this up while it was fresh on my mind.

This was my first truly negative OC encounter. I was angry and frustrated. It felt like the end of a good day, in spite of the weather was ruined. I used up come of the frustration scraping the frozen snow off my windows and shoveling part of the drive when I got home. Writing this out also helped.

"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Celebration Cinema, Portage Dec 14, 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »
Sorry to hear of your bad encounter.  Aside from that, was the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug good?

Offline casper

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »
FASBOLD, I feel your frustration. Those kind of people just don't get it and they never will. It's actually sad to think there are people who think they are 100% safe from crime 100% of the time. You did your best to educate him, that's all you can do. Good job.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »
Aside from that, was the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug good?

Yes, it was good. Smaug was quite impressive as was the dwarven hall and piles or treasure.

Not faithful to the book as the last Hobbit movie or LoTR movies, but it was good based on the story it told.

Now to wait a year to see how it all gets tied up. The Battle of Five Armies should be good.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Celebration Cinema, Portage Dec 14, 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »
FASBOLD, I feel your frustration. Those kind of people just don't get it and they never will. It's actually sad to think there are people who think they are 100% safe from crime 100% of the time. You did your best to educate him, that's all you can do. Good job.

Movie theaters are a lost cause in my honest opinion. Fasbold - you can tell he really cared about your safety...NOT...as you pointed out you had been there many times and NONE NOTICED you OCing. Imagine if you were a bad guy...could sneak in a mini-gun with those dingle berries staffing the joint. :o
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:35:04 AM »

I pointed out that there is no sign saying no weapons, or did I miss it?

Now the guy is going to put up a sign.  I wouldn't have said anything about a sign.  We don't need people putting signs on everything formally stating to the world "this is an unsafe place, please come in and rob and shoot anyone you want in here, there will be no resistance"

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
I now feel frustrated as if I was there too since I had been just talking with you face to face.
I had been thinking of oc'ing there to but I just never go to movies any more.

Last movie I saw was in the town of Thee Rivers with four friends to see World War Z. We were oc'ing and I think the two wives were oc'ing too. We all even waited in the lobby for at least ten minutes, nothing said. 8)

Now the guy is going to put up a sign.  I wouldn't have said anything about a sign.  We don't need people putting signs on everything formally stating to the world "this is an unsafe place, please come in and rob and shoot anyone you want in here, there will be no resistance"
I have found it's hard for people to not mention signs, If I ever get a negative encounter, I think I'll have to focus hard on not doing the same thing.

I also feel that the signage on their door's make safety a bigger issue. Since a dumb gang banger just might obey a "no gun" sign he won't think a thing when he sees the word by the door that reads "2500+ Capacity". When we of course know it means no conceal carry.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:19:23 PM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline MI_XD

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Bob
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
I have often wondered about the way the +2500 is posted at that Cinema. It is about eye level, "BETWEEN" a couple of doors. I thought it was to be posted "ABOVE" the entrances.

And that is ALL it says... +2500. Nothing more.   Is that the address???   ::)

MI_XD
MI_XD
SW Michigan
I finally can be Proud of America, again!

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »
I have often wondered about the way the +2500 is posted at that Cinema. It is about eye level, "BETWEEN" a couple of doors. I thought it was to be posted "ABOVE" the entrances.

And that is ALL it says... +2500. Nothing more.   Is that the address???   ::)

MI_XD

MCL 28.425o (f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

While the bold portion would suggest you are correct, the underlined portion negates it.

Offline xmanhockey7

• First Name (Displayed): Xander
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but you're not the only one who has had this issue with Celebration before. For some reason that companies employees lack the ability to comprehend the difference between a concealed pistol and a pistol that is not concealed. To them it's the same thing even when they law is shown to them.