Author Topic: Safariland Holsters questions.  (Read 8723 times)

Offline Jeff

Safariland Holsters questions.
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
Do all the Safariland holsters that say paddle come with the belt loop options like they say on their youtube channel?  Optics planet labels some as paddle and some as belt loop.

What is a Glock 19mb? It seems like optics planet is the only people who use that term.

Their "concealment holsters" line 6378, is plenty good for open carry?

Their holsters that allow lights, do they REALLY hold the gun in just as well even if it doesn't have a light?

Offline fozzy71

Re: Safariland Holsters questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »
Do all the Safariland holsters that say paddle come with the belt loop options like they say on their youtube channel?  Optics planet labels some as paddle and some as belt loop.

No, but you can order the accessories separately and change them with 2 or 3 screws.

What is a Glock 19mb? It seems like optics planet is the only people who use that term.

I have no idea.  Can you put it in some context or link to where you saw it?

I personally did not like this style of holster for my full size 1911.  since the ALS thumb release was right in line with the 1911 safety.  I might like it fine for safety-less guns but now i just stick with their Duty style SLS holsters 6287/5/0

Their holsters that allow lights, do they REALLY hold the gun in just as well even if it doesn't have a light?

I would guess they do but have never put a gun on my light or used of these holsters.  I prefer to carry a separate flash light that I can use without having to draw or muzzle sweep what I want to light up.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »

Detail Glock Model 17MB It is confirmed that Glock Ges.m.b.H. is now manufacturing variations of their Models 17 and 19, des­ignated the Model 17MB or 19MB and available in Europe, with am­bi­dextrous magazine releases similar to the recently introduc­ed Model 21SF….

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/trigger_lock.html

Google is your friend...

+1, Fozzy, on keeping the weapon & light separate. There are much better ways to survey your environment without sweeping everything & everybody.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Safariland Holsters questions.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
Snip.....

+1, Fozzy, on keeping the weapon & light separate. There are much better ways to survey your environment without sweeping everything & everybody.

But, but, wait we saw COPS on "COPS RELOADED" muzzle sweeping everthing and everyone with their pistol mounted lights while looking for perps in lots of episodes, so... it's gotta be the way to go, right?

Sarcasm off now & EXCELLENT point on the poor use of tacti-cool lights. If I'm the bad guy, I'm squeezing off 3 fast shots- one at the light- and the other two, just left & right. ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:03:24 PM »

Google is your friend...

I used webcrawler and didn't find any information But thanks for letting me know about this magical place called google.

Thanks for the information guys.

Offline tedalton

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
I don't know about all, but every 6378 I have bought has come with both.

It's what I carry daily.
In my experience, yes.  Though if I am carrying without the light I just switch to my non-light 6378.

Offline tedalton

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
I would guess they do but have never put a gun on my light or used of these holsters.  I prefer to carry a separate flash light that I can use without having to draw or muzzle sweep what I want to light up.
I carry both a light on the gun and a handheld.  I like one on the gun in case I need a light and only have one hand available, plus if I have shoot I want the option of being able to use both hands.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
As long as we're talking ALS holsters...

Possible Malfunction issues with Safariland ALS Holsters

While at briefing today an Administrative Message was posted regarding the Safariland ALS Holsters from the Texas DPS Austin Headquarters. I typed the message as it was posted verbatim

"This is a notice to all Law Enforcement Agencies using the Safariland ALS Holsters.

Provo Police Department, in Provo, Utah has experienced malfunctions with Safariland ALS Holsters. Officers experience failures when shooting prone and gravel was introduced into the body of the holster. Gravel became trapped behind the ALS mechanism causing a re-holstered pistol to lock inside the holster. When this happened the pistol could not be removed from the holster without specialized tools. This failure occurred with 58% of the ALS equipped holsters while training officers in specific gun fighting drills on the ground.

Provo Police Department has made Safariland aware of this issue."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »
I own 2 6378's. One for my Glock 17 the other for my XDm (discontinued)

Plenty good for OC.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
@Gryph

Something tells me the police drill that caused those failures looked a lot like this:

"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
LOL @ that video, that could very well be what happened.

Thanks for the replies people.  I ordered a 6378 for two guns.  I might order the ALS locking device-a-majigger too one day.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 05:19:49 PM »
The ALS guard -- I highly recommend it. Converts your level II holster to a Level III without slowing your draw.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
The ALS guard -- I highly recommend it. Converts your level II holster to a Level III without slowing your draw.

I want to see if I like the holster first but if I do I am going to order one.  Doesn't seem like it would slow my draw at all or maybe marginally.  I know you have it on yours Q, I saw your holster at cabellas.  I will look into getting one when my holster arrives and I know if I like it or not :)

Offline METL

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
I have 2 6378... one for G22, other for G22 w/ TLR-1.

Both also work on my G19.

They are awesome.

They both came with the paddle AND a different plate to use for belt loops.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »
Mine also did come with the attachment for belt loops, but I haven't tried that yet.  I have been using the paddle for a few weeks, then I will go to the belt loops.  I want to give it a nice test both ways.  So far my issue with the paddle is that since I wear my pants high the curve of the paddle pushed into my side which is only a minor nuisance.  The thing I am not liking about the paddle most though is that it tends to want to sag on that side more because of the smooth plastic that is against my cotton under shirt.  There isn't any friction so it wants to sag a bit, not a big deal, I just tighten my belt more.

The paddle holds on so tight though that I think I could get the holster off faster with the belt loops, It is kind of difficult to remove it from my pants and belt.  I can see how someone said once that you could pick the person up from their paddle.  It is definitely more secure to the body than other paddle holsters I have used.

I am probably going to start using the belt loops in a few days and see how those are.  I am sure I will like it better but I wanted to try the paddle out for awhile so that I know exactly how it performs for me.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
  I can see how someone said once that you could pick the person up from their paddle.  It is definitely more secure to the body than other paddle holsters I have used.

Have you tried the Blackhawk paddle?  Those are the most secure I've seen due to the inside-the-pants and under the belt teeth.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
Have you tried the Blackhawk paddle?  Those are the most secure I've seen due to the inside-the-pants and under the belt teeth.

I agree.  I started with the belt loops on my Blackhawks but I found that the paddle did a better job keeping the gun close to my body and kept it from bouncing around.   :D

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »

Have you tried the safariland paddle?   ::)

I have used both.  I could remove the blackhawk paddle much easier than the safariland.  The Blackhawk paddle was much more comfortable to wear though.  I disliked the safariland paddle due to the comfort reasons stated and I switched to the belt loops when I had a 6378 for my 1911.   All of my holsters since then have been ordered with the belt loops only since I actually didn't like the ALS release mechanism on the 6378 compared to the SLS hood release mechanism and now carry my FNS9 in a 6287.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 11:22:19 PM »
Have you tried the safariland paddle?   ::)

Yes.  You and I even talked about it.  My SLS only came with belt loop attachments.  I then purchased the paddle.  It sucked for the high ride and I put my belt loop attachment back on.  See MOC Newsletter No. 1 for more info.   And you are correct, the Blackhawk paddle is more comfortable.