Author Topic: Accidental Shooting in Home Depot in Brighton  (Read 8201 times)

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
Accidental Shooting in Home Depot in Brighton
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
All I can say is...OWWW!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MI_ACCIDENTAL_GUNSHOT_STORE_MIOL-?SITE=MIMON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Man shoots self in store with gun he was carrying

BRIGHTON, Mich. (AP) -- Authorities say a man accidentally shot himself in a home improvement store with the gun he was legally carrying.
WHMI-FM reports ( http://bit.ly/19mMitC ) the 32-year-old man from the Livingston County community of Green Oak Township was shot in the buttocks Thursday evening at the Home Depot in Brighton. Police say it appears he was reaching for his wallet when he inadvertently grabbed the pistol and a shot fired.
The man was treated for minor injuries at a nearby hospital.
Police say the man had a license to carry the concealed weapon and no charges will be filed.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: Accidental Shooting in Home Depot in Brighton
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
All I can say is ...dumbass.... there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only negligent discharge.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
"he inadvertently grabbed the pistol and a shot fired"

ShadowBear is right, dumbass! How do you inadvertently grab a pistol mistaking it for a pistol?

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
Trigger discipline.

Your brain is your safety, no matter what "safety" features your gun has or does not have.

If your brain is incapable of controlling your fingers, you should not carry a gun.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
i wonder if he said....

"i got shot in the butt-tocks"

thats what i thought as i read this. forest gump

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Accidental Shooting in Home Depot in Brighton
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »
All I can say is ...dumbass.... there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only negligent discharge.

"he inadvertently grabbed the pistol and a shot fired"

ShadowBear is right, dumbass! How do you inadvertently grab a pistol mistaking it for a pistol?

Dang it now! Now I know why clerks are always giving me free stuff when I mix up my wallet for my pistol....::) And here I thought it was them just being nice. I echo what others have said, this guy is a goof ball of the highest order.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
if you are carrying by that pocket. i would advise using extreme caution when going for wallet....

this is why i OC on my right hip. i wont shoot myself in the buttocks when i go for my wallet. which is usually in my inside coat pocket anyways

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
When I CC, my gun is about 5 o'clock on me.  When I do that, I move my wallet to my left side.  I have actually been getting into the habit of keeping my wallet on the left so that I don't make the same mistake.  My leather square wallet is easy to mix up from my cold metal and plastic glock, they feel exactly the same.  The only REAL difference is that my wallet has one less trigger.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 09:14:15 PM »
if you are carrying by that pocket. i would advise using extreme caution when going for wallet....

this is why i OC on my right hip. i wont shoot myself in the buttocks when i go for my wallet. which is usually in my inside coat pocket anyways

I carry in a shoulder holster, gun and wallet on same side, but still far apart :)

Offline SteveS

• AmmoDump
  • First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »

An accident just implies that it was unintentional.  Accidents can still be the result of negligence and this guy most certainly seems like a dumbass.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »
'An accident, mishap, or, more archaically, misadventure, is an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack of intention or necessity. It usually implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.'

Splitting hairs, but in my book, carrying a sidearm involves the possibility that, if CARE is not exercised, could discharge. Carelessness is negligence in my book. Firearms do not generally discharge without assistance from a human. Therefore, three classes of discharge can exist- negligent (carelessness of a human), intentional, and accidental, wherein a mechanical malfunction of the firearm causes it to discharge without the help of a human. Accidental discharges are VERY rare, except for Remingtons; but that's another story.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
I want you to read me a bed time story about remingtons one day.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Accidental Shooting in Home Depot in Brighton
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »

I want you to read me a bed time story about remingtons one day.

Remington 700?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 09:19:07 PM »
anyone else think of what ammo he was using. How deep was the penetration and how wide was the spread?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 10:06:56 PM »
Remington 700?

Yes sir, in 30-06 and a stainless barrel. Schwing.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
anyone else think of what ammo he was using. How deep was the penetration and how wide was the spread?

.45 cal black talons!! *runs and hides*

"how deep was the penetration and how wide was the spread... this is a family forum.. lets keep it PG :) hahah JK

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »
.45 cal black talons!! *runs and hides*

"how deep was the penetration and how wide was the spread... this is a family forum.. lets keep it PG :) hahah JK

I knew someone was going to point that out.  I've been watching too many ballistic gel testing of defense ammo youtube videos.