Author Topic: OC in Howell  (Read 10264 times)

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
OC in Howell
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
So finally got my CPL (only 7 weeks >:( ) decided to start OCing again now that I didn't have to worry about my coat. Started with just going out to start my car and one of my neighbors saw me carrying (no coat) and immediately asked if I was a cop or if I had a CPL. Told him I had a CPL but it didn't matter, MI is an open carry state so as long as the handgun is registered to you, you can legally OC the firearm with or without a CPL. He then said he thought if you had a CPL it had to be concealed (that's what he had been told when he got his CPL). Again I told him no, you don't have to cover the firearm. I spoke with him for about 10 mins before giving him MOC as a reference if he was interested in learning more about OC. I have a feeling he would have talked with me longer had his wife not gotten in the car and nudged him to leave.

After my first encounter I ran around doing some errands with my wife and had a couple of double takes but honestly most people didn't even notice. When I went into Kohl's I ended up talking with another guy that much like the one earlier in the day was severely misinformed about what the open carry laws are in MI. I spoke with him for a few minutes before leaving and also gave him info for MOC.

All in all it was a great day, was able to give a couple of people some good information. I'm thinking I don't get as many looks because people think I'm a cop (several people have asked when they first start talking to me), might be the high and tight. Hope to be sharing some additional positive encounters in the future.

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
Re: OC in Howell
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
Applied for mine the other day, clerk said they are averaging 2 - 3 months wait.

Offline Dbilger

• First Name (Displayed): Don
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »
Best question I had when I was at Meijers in Howell, "Are you a bounty hunter" I was picking up my small game licence. I carry in a right tac drop leg. LOL

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:57:24 AM by Dbilger »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »
Do you have a mullett?

Offline Dbilger

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
LOL nope shaved bald. Was out there today with my Springfield XD-9 sub. :)

Offline Raggs

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
Applied for mine the other day, clerk said they are averaging 2 - 3 months wait.

I have heard from good sources that the Kent County Clerk is anti-gun and that is why it takes so long to get the CPL. Actually head it from two sources.

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
I do know that the first lady that talked to me at the clerk did not want to help me and quickly got another worker to help me process my application.

Also, Kent County only took 1 of my 2 passport photos.

Offline karudin

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
LOL nope shaved bald. Was out there today with my Springfield XD-9 sub. :)

How do you like the sub? I have the XD-45 service. I picked up the sub and it just didn't feel right in my hand. Some time in the spring my wife will be going through her CPL course and trying to get an idea of what to get her. How is the recoil? She shoots my 45 but can only shoot about 50 rounds before she gets tired.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
I do know that the first lady that talked to me at the clerk did not want to help me and quickly got another worker to help me process my application.

Also, Kent County only took 1 of my 2 passport photos.

When I renewed I went in open carrying, as I recall the clerk was not thrilled.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
I renewed mine in howell and called first to make sure everything was in order and had very little issue other than and 2 month wait. I OC all over howell including the secretary of state office and even the Livingston county sheriff's lobby without any issue at all. hope I helped pave the way as we all do for each other.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline karudin

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
I renewed mine in howell and called first to make sure everything was in order and had very little issue other than and 2 month wait. I OC all over howell including the secretary of state office and even the Livingston county sheriff's lobby without any issue at all. hope I helped pave the way as we all do for each other.

Nice to know someone else in Howell is OC. I haven't seen anyone and have been told by others that they don't see anyone either. I've been a few looks but for the most part most people don't even notice. Not complaining though haha, it would be nice if everyone has as easy of a time as I do. I know when I went to the Sam's Club over by Novi I OC'ed and the greeter was an older gentleman, as soon as I had gotten about 10 steps past the door I saw him start talking on his radio looking at me. No one ever came to talk to me. I did notice a few store associates give me some looks but it was hassle free. Even saw 2 county deputies in the store and neither looked my way.

Offline Dbilger

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:12 PM »
How do you like the sub? I have the XD-45 service. I picked up the sub and it just didn't feel right in my hand. Some time in the spring my wife will be going through her CPL course and trying to get an idea of what to get her. How is the recoil? She shoots my 45 but can only shoot about 50 rounds before she gets tired.

I originally bought it for my now ex wife...  But I like the idea of 16 rounds of 9mm compared to the same size package of my Ruger with only 10. Recoil is fine for me, not much. I am happy with it and would love to find another to mach it with. I carry in a drop leg tactical and would love to have one on both sides. I do ride motorcycle and would be nice to have one on the left for my throttle in the right hand.

Offline Dbilger

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
Nice to know someone else in Howell is OC.

I have been carrying out in Howell for the past 3 years. I only seen one person OC out there when I was in Krogers... I will admit I was both OC and CC I was heading to have some holsters made for a few guns so I had my Springfield OC and a S/w CC also a 1911 CC. I was with friends, in their vehicle and didn't want to leave them in their vehicle. I didn't do it but I almost went over to say hi. Not sure how he would have thought about it.

Offline karudin

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
If it was me I wouldn't have cared at all. In the past week I have had a lot more people asking about open carry around Howell. Wonder if I'll be seeing more people doing it soon, or if its just people wondering what I'm doing haha.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
I originally bought it for my now ex wife...  But I like the idea of 16 rounds of 9mm compared to the same size package of my Ruger with only 10. Recoil is fine for me, not much. I am happy with it and would love to find another to mach it with. I carry in a drop leg tactical and would love to have one on both sides. I do ride motorcycle and would be nice to have one on the left for my throttle in the right hand.

What would be the circumstances that would necessitate you using deadly force while driving a motorcycle?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
BTW...
MOC is having a greet and eat in Howell on Saturday Feb 22 1:30pm at the All Star Coney Island.

Come on out and join us.

Details here:
http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3631.0.html
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Dbilger

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 01:12:11 PM »
What would be the circumstances that would necessitate you using deadly force while driving a motorcycle?
A friend of mine has used his when a guy just about ran him off the road on the express way. People move over without looking. That is a 3000 lb weapon. Also I have had a dog come out and had to stop the bike.... Bad situation anyways I was told by an officer that I had the right to use it then... I didn't but I almost did.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
A friend of mine has used his when a guy just about ran him off the road on the express way. People move over without looking. That is a 3000 lb weapon. Also I have had a dog come out and had to stop the bike.... Bad situation anyways I was told by an officer that I had the right to use it then... I didn't but I almost did.

I don't think I'd use deadly force in that situation. I can hear the prosecutor now...

"How much time does it take to decelerate, take evasive action, and apply your brakes?
How much time did it take you to draw your pistol, aim and kill the other driver?
You're being "run" off the road. Yet you could maintain control enough to draw, shoot, and kill another driver?"

Personally, every time that I have been run off the road, I've taken evasive action to avoid the collision. I have never been in a situation where I would've killed another driver, instead of doing so.

Offline karudin

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
BTW...
MOC is having a greet and eat in Howell on Saturday Feb 22 1:30pm at the All Star Coney Island.

Come on out and join us.

Details here:
http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3631.0.html

Already plan on going and looking forward to it. Just today, finally got around to getting membership done.

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »

Take the money you would have spent on the extra Gun & Drop leg tactical rig, and invest in a Riders Edge course  8)