Author Topic: What have I done wrong? It was only my right to open carry.  (Read 18990 times)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
Re: What have I done wrong? It was only my right to open carry.
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
Q can easily verify as well as mods who can see ip addresses. same IP, same poster, different account.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
I agree.
You do?!?!? That's odd that you would agree, seeing as how that's your M.O.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Sterling

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »
You do?!?!? That's odd that you would agree, seeing as how that's your M.O.

Not at all. My post was jam-packed with details, including a word-for-word transcript. The only thing that was left out was the specific location.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
And that's the part that doesn't make sense. Why ask for help when you refuse to tell us which department. We have contacts in many departments not to mention experienced people that can deal with such departments. If you want to go it alone why tell others about your experience? It helps no one else to be prepared to deal with said department if they don't know which one.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Sterling

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
And that's the part that doesn't make sense. Why ask for help when you refuse to tell us which department. We have contacts in many departments not to mention experienced people that can deal with such departments. If you want to go it alone why tell others about your experience? It helps no one else to be prepared to deal with said department if they don't know which one.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

We pretty much covered this when it came to my post (which might or might not be off-topic from this encounter).

In my case, I wasn't asking for help, I was merely posting what I thought was an interesting encounter. Also, any personal, location, etc. details that may be posted should be the prerogative of the O.P. and the O.P. alone; and that decision should be completely respected 100 percent.

This thread's encounter, I agree, looks suspicious; I would just rather see future suspicions dealt with by the mods in private than with a public smear campaign that, if proven to be incorrect, makes forum members look like idiots.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »
... if proven to be incorrect, makes forum members look like idiots.

We have to weed them out somehow. :)

Offline Sterling

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
Publicly displaying I.P. addresses is an interesting idea (it was brought up in the ammo dump thread), but I wonder if that would just encourage trolls to just fire up a TOR node.

Offline Sterling

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
By the way, the location of my encounter (not this thread) was: Lat: 43° 36' 52.8474" Long: -84° 14' 45.4668"

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
What have I done wrong? It was only my right to open carry.
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »

Q can easily verify as well as mods who can see ip addresses. same IP, same poster, different account.

The OPs IP hasn't been used by another account/post.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
publically displaying IP's is a bad idea. it can cause members to leave who value their privacy. that is why only admins and mods are able to see. wouldnt want someone opening a DDOS shell and plugging in a IP found on the board and sending out a bot DOS attack on an IP

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
publically displaying IP's is a bad idea. it can cause members to leave who value their privacy. that is why only admins and mods are able to see. wouldnt want someone opening a DDOS shell and plugging in a IP found on the board and sending out a bot DOS attack on an IP

I'll buy that for a buck. Not too hard to fire off a few nmap runs on different machines..
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
What have I done wrong? It was only my right to open carry.
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »

Thus I only showed the first 3 octets.

I'm an IT professional. I'm familiar with the power of an IP.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
IT people and guns, its like coffee and ciggarettes  ;D

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
publically displaying IP's is a bad idea. it can cause members to leave who value their privacy. that is why only admins and mods are able to see. wouldnt want someone opining a DDOS shell and plugging in a IP found on the board and sending out a bot DOS attack on an IP
That's interesting. That'd be awesome to be able to do that. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to do tap and talk.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
lmao it was fun when i wanted host on xbox. i would grab the IP's of the lobby and then i would figure out the host and kick them offline by flooding the IP

JohnnyLovesHisGlocks

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 02:51:47 AM »
I split part of this topic into the Ammo Dump.
  Can you please delete this? After someone here suggested that I shouldn't talk about it I just do not feel comfortable with listing any other information.
My lawyer told me I might be able to come here to learn more about open carry. so sorry bought all this. it's irrelevant now.

JohnnyLovesHisGlocks

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 03:13:44 AM »

I dont see why you guys are obsessed with the IP address when this isn't my computer and its not my place where I live. ^_^ so you guys are chasing a ghost... and btw you guys are pretty mean here. I love open carrying my pistols but you guys are just a bunch of jerks with guns. Track the IP you dingus  8)

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 04:01:56 AM »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline casper

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2014, 07:36:38 AM »
His lawyer told him to go here to get more information ? While a good idea to get more informed, shouldn't this so called lawyer be getting the facts of the law, not send his client out to do it ? TROLL'IN TROLL'IN TROLL'IN.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
His lawyer told him to go here to get more information ? While a good idea to get more informed, shouldn't this so called lawyer be getting the facts of the law, not send his client out to do it ? TROLL'IN TROLL'IN TROLL'IN.

id have to agree. while this is a good spot for info. i wouldnt use advice posted on a forum for a legal battle... i would rely on the laws which the courts may actually give a crap about.