Author Topic: Henry Ford Museum?  (Read 8580 times)

Offline Jeff

Henry Ford Museum?
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »
Have any of you ever carried there?  I was thinking of going this Friday.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Henry Ford Museum?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
Have any of you ever carried there?  I was thinking of going this Friday.

I remember reading their policy online - IIRC, they prohibit weapons of any kind on site. Couple that with Dearborn PD being a$$wipes from time to time, you may want to reconsider carrying there.

Here - I did the work for you. Google is "sometimes" our friend.
https://www.thehenryford.org/legal.aspx

P.S. Henry Ford was a supporter of NAZI party policies during the 1930's. Makes sense that the outfits carrying his name follow his traditions....  :o
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:32:53 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Henry Ford Museum?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
Not unlawful to conceal carry there.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »

If you're not caught, no. There are no metal detectors either so .... ;)

If one were found to be CCing with a CPL (somehow)...they could ask you to leave and/or call the police and try to trespass you.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline casper

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
So criminals have another publicized place to commit crimes.

Offline hevymetal

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »

This, I would rather CC if I had to, rather then go without.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »

Here - I did the work for you. Google is "sometimes" our friend.
https://www.thehenryford.org/legal.aspx

Why do people have to........nevermind

I already looked at exactly that and saw that they prohibit weapons of any kind (but so does about EVERY policy).  What I didn't know is if there was some stupid thing regarding them as a school or something else that would prohibit carrying a firearm.  One of the first things I saw on their site was that they were a learning facility, but didn't say School so I figured I would be ok.

I got into a big argument about me needing to carry a gun everywhere I go and when did I turn into a paranoid gun nut and bla bla bla yesterday while talking to a friend about carrying there.

I am glad to hear there are no metal detectors that was my thinking that I didn't see anything to prohibit me from concealed carrying unless they had some sort of security/metal detectors then would be able to tell me to leave.  Metal detectors was part of the discussion that why do I have to always push things and if they say no weapons why do I have to spend time reading their policies and trying to figure out if I can carry there or not since I have less than a 1% chance of anything bad happening...bla bla bla. 

My friend also said the last time he was there, they made a guy with a pocket knife leave.

In the end it looked like I could legally carry there, but didn't know if they had any metal detectors so I asked if anyone has carried there.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
So criminals have another publicized place to commit crimes.

Ding! Ding! Ding! "We have a winner! Give that man a prize!"

You nailed  Casper. They (criminals) know the sweet spots to go to. The Henry Ford, Movies, schools , post office parking lots etc...where the law has given them free reign to do their worst. Roughly 3% of MI's population has a permission slip to carry, so the bad guys know odds are they will have little to no trouble doing whatever the hell they want! Come on - if you knew 97+% of the time your victim can't have a fighting chance, you'd be a pretty happy bad guy, wouldn't you?

This is why MI so desperately needs Constitutional carry. If you had it, you would see violent crimes drop as they have in other Constitutional carry states. Criminals want to live too! You make it so there's a good chance anyone they go against during a crime can produce a pistol, guess what? They stop committing violent crime and switch to petty property crimes to fill the gap. I would much rather see a bad guy get away with a (fill in the blank), then take someone's life over their purse/wallet/car etc...

ETA - if more people in any state chose to open carry, I think that would send a clear message to violent criminals to seek other employment opportunities.  ;)
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »
Ding! Ding! Ding! "We have a winner! Give that man a prize!"

You nailed  Casper. They (criminals) know the sweet spots to go to. The Henry Ford, Movies, schools , post office parking lots etc...where the law has given them free reign to do their worst. Roughly 3% of MI's population has a permission slip to carry, so the bad guys know odds are they will have little to no trouble doing whatever the hell they want! Come on - if you knew 97+% of the time your victim can't have a fighting chance, you'd be a pretty happy bad guy, wouldn't you?

This is why MI so desperately needs Constitutional carry. If you had it, you would see violent crimes drop as they have in other Constitutional carry states. Criminals want to live too! You make it so there's a good chance anyone they go against during a crime can produce a pistol, guess what? They stop committing violent crime and switch to petty property crimes to fill the gap. I would much rather see a bad guy get away with a (fill in the blank), then take someone's life over their purse/wallet/car etc...

This is true, too bad I know so many A hats that don't understand this.

I feel that my generation is the last Pro-gun generation, everyone I know younger than me is very anti, and most of the people my age that I know is very anti.  I have one friend that actually sees it the way you described.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »
My friend also said the last time he was there, they made a guy with a pocket knife leave.

???  Even this sounds suspicious.  What was he doing with the pocket knife?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
Probably asking for permission.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »

He didn't say, he was just going on a rant about me being a gun nut always having to press the issue.

CV67PAT is probably right though unfortunately lol

I would ask my friend but he would consider it me starting crap with him so it's not worth knowing at this time.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »
Just curious, you know they don't want guns there, which makes them anti-gun folks just like the gun shows that don't allow guns, and you still want to spend money there?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 07:29:48 PM »
Just curious, you know they don't want guns there, which makes them anti-gun folks just like the gun shows that don't allow guns, and you still want to spend money there?

I probably wont go after all of this.

If by myself I would not spend money there.  But if 4 of my friends were planning on going, I can either say "not going because I don't agree with spending money at an anti-gun establishment" and be alienated OR go anyways just to be with friends...OR I guess find an excuse not to go.  Perhaps just make it simple and say "have fun, I don't want to go"  (WHY) "because I don't want to wake up that early"

Offline casper

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
The only problem with that is it won't hurt the establishment one way or the other if you go or not. There's not enough gun people boycotting these places to matter, sad to say. :(

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
I probably wont go after all of this.

If by myself I would not spend money there.  But if 4 of my friends were planning on going, I can either say "not going because I don't agree with spending money at an anti-gun establishment" and be alienated OR go anyways just to be with friends...OR I guess find an excuse not to go.  Perhaps just make it simple and say "have fun, I don't want to go"  (WHY) "because I don't want to wake up that early"

Jeff - I completely understand. There are many places my wife likes very much that are "anti-gun".  So instead of fighting with her I explained it to her this way: if a place said - No women allowed would you go there? No Children? No Seniors? No Foreigners? No people with blue eyes? Etc...etc... she of said no. I asked why? She said "because they would be discriminating against people simply because they don't like this or that, and that's just wrong!" I calmly said - so you could say they are against ones rights , correct? She replied yes. I then asked - why is it OK for a place to take away your right to defend the most valuable thing you own, your life? She thought hard briefly and said it's not.

My point - there are BILLIONS of people who have been fooled into thinking it's someone else's job to defend their life!

The way we change this falsehood is by pointing out whenever possible that all rights are linked to the right to bear arms. So instead of saying gun rights, I always take the tact of "human rights". It's pretty hard to find a person willing to admit they are against human rights. ;) All of us SHOULD have the right to defend our life, period. Is a nice steak dinner at a place that mandates I cannot defend myself or my loved ones, yet offers no security at all worth much to me? NO! Tell me you ask I leave my firearms stowed safely and that you have DELTA FORCE operators on site to provide over-watch, I might think about a minute before I left. :P
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 12:22:48 AM »
I have tried to say things of that nature but it always comes back, I'm just paranoid.  "Millions of people do things every day without needing a firearm, the chances of ever needing it are very low."  I always agree and add "BUT it happens every day, to people who think that exact same way, and I am not going to be one of those people harmed, I may not have the time or opportunity to get my firearm but at least it will have been available to me if ever needed and give me a chance."  Then I'm just a paranoid gun nut. /shrug

I take it as them running out of anything useful and intelligent to say back, but I'm tired of the same arguments.  Tired of them, but I won't back down on my rights to self defense.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
The only problem with that is it won't hurt the establishment one way or the other if you go or not. There's not enough gun people boycotting these places to matter, sad to say. :(

It might not hurt them, but me not paying them certainly doesn't help them. I think i we could get every member of the 3 main gun groups in Michigan to send letters to the museum it would have no effect at all.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »
It's true that it isn't going to hurt those places, but it certainly makes me feel better not spending money there.

AND I decided not to go :)

Offline Raggs

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »
It's true that it isn't going to hurt those places, but it certainly makes me feel better not spending money there.

AND I decided not to go :)

+1