Author Topic: Police charge Marine who fired on man who pulled gun on Sears employee  (Read 7107 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
No Cliff's notes, read the story.  On the surface I don't understand why the charges, unless it was because the (former) Marine was a bad shot.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/09/remember-the-former-marine-who-opened-fire-after-an-arizona-couple-pulled-a-gun-on-a-sears-employee-police-will-be-submitting-charges-against-him/

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Police charge Marine who fired on man who pulled gun on Sears employee
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:14 AM »
This is my take being in the area. Many PD's are becoming more anti as liberals are gaining power in the large metro areas.(Tucson & Phoenix) Remember Police chiefs are not elected. They are appointed by city Mayors. Combine this with tens of millions of dollars being poured into Arizona by the likes of Bloomberg and one can see a direct influence on those in government. The video on CBS 5 does not show the shots being fired, however they were kind enough to include a interview with a former prosecutor, in which he stated he would have reacted the same way and is doubtful the Maricopa Co. Prosecutor will take action on the charges brought by the Glendale PD.

On a side note - while many people carry in AZ less than .5% do so openly in the metro areas. This means that violent offenders are likely to mistake potential victims as being helpless and the chance of a gun battle are raised in my opinion. Concealed carry is an Offensive tactic, which for a civilian is a no no, only police have that option. While OC is a defensive tactic with a deterrent value. I wonder if this chic would have pulled her fake pistol if dozens of honest citizens would have been near all wearing sidearms?

Doubt it? I'm glad no one got hurt.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »
Is there such a thing as a "former" Marine?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
I was wondering that myself.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
Not in my book (Marine myself) but most people who have never served just don't understand what it means to be a Marine. If I were to say I'm a Marine their response is "Oh where are you stationed" it really gets to be a pain in the ass to explain it each time. So unfortunately the news and most people refer to Marines that no longer server as former Marines. To me a former Marine is one that was dishonorably discharged.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
What's next? The DNR getting involved for him discharging a firearm into a living tree?  Perhaps he even startled a few animals. :facepalm:

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »
What's the difference between a Marine and a banana?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:12:35 PM »
Story says former Marine, but the Marines I know don't use the word former.  I compromised and put the word in parens to distinguish between an active and non-active/retired Marine.

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »
She claims she keeps [the toy gun] to protect herself on the streets

wooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
Drug addicts often claim outlandish things. :o
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »
What's the difference between a Marine and a banana?

No marine is yellow?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »
No marine is yellow?
Bananas start out green and hard. As they age they become yellow and soft.

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
Concealed carry is an Offensive tactic, which for a civilian is a no no, only police have that option. While OC is a defensive tactic with a deterrent value.

Never thought about it from that angle.  Definitely gives me something is gnaw and reflect on.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:16:11 AM »
Concealed carry is an Offensive tactic, which for a civilian is a no no, only police have that option.

If police are taking offensive action, they are wrong.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Police charge Marine who fired on man who pulled gun on Sears employee
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
If police are taking offensive action, they are wrong.

"Some" police are very offensive, because they violate the laws they swore to uphold. :D. The point is a citizen may only use deadly or any other force a a defensive measure to defend their life. There is a reason criminals CC. They need the element of surprise to be able to victimize their targets. If their target is CCing then you have two surprised parties- one with their gun already out....guess who has the advantage....:o
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Re: Re: Police charge Marine who fired on man who pulled gun on Sears employee
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »
The point is a citizen may only use deadly or any other force a a defensive measure to defend their life.

MCL 780.972

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

A reasonable person would honestly believe that the LPO and the Marine's wife was under threat of imminent death or great bodily harm.  I'm also assuming the Marine had no previous knowledge that the gun was a modified toy.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36