Author Topic: We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR  (Read 20688 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: We should have a rally on 3 March in GR
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
Back on topic.

I'm thinking there are two potential destinations that we would want to hit.
 - (A) The corner of Michigan and Lakeside (where Deffert was detained)
 - (B) Monroe Center (City Hall) / Rosa Parks Circle

MAP

There is a park roughly half way in between on the south side of the road. Fuller Park. We would be free to park there, rally up, and then head out from there. However, if downtown is better, then there are other parking options closer to city center.

If we wish to reach destination A, then I suggest we attempt to reach it around 12 noon, as that was when Mr. Deffert was detained at that location. The time for other locations is less important.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
I like the idea of parking at Fuller, moving to A, and then moving to B where we'll setup shop for a bit.

It is a bit of walking, but I like the idea of hitting both locations if possible.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Jeff

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »
How close do you guys live to the March location?

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »

I'll actually be driving in from Lansing.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »

~ 20 min.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »
Back on topic.

I'm thinking there are two potential destinations that we would want to hit.
 - (A) The corner of Michigan and Lakeside (where Deffert was detained)
 - (B) Monroe Center (City Hall) / Rosa Parks Circle

MAP

There is a park roughly half way in between on the south side of the road. Fuller Park. We would be free to park there, rally up, and then head out from there. However, if downtown is better, then there are other parking options closer to city center.

If we wish to reach destination A, then I suggest we attempt to reach it around 12 noon, as that was when Mr. Deffert was detained at that location. The time for other locations is less important.
Is this a Michigan Open Carry event?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »
Is this a Michigan Open Carry event?

It will be once the details are settled.

Offline Pr0jeCt

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
keeping an eye on this ... if a solid plan comes together i just might take a day off work and head over from flint.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »
keeping an eye on this ... if a solid plan comes together i just might take a day off work and head over from flint.
I will help coordinate from the Southeastern Region.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
Ok, so I'm thinking we meet at Fuller Part on Sunday March 2nd. We leave as a group shortly after 11:30am and head east down Michigan towards the corner of Michigan and Lakeside (Where Mr. Deffert was detained). That should put us there around 12pm which is roughly when Mr. Deffert was detained. Also, the restaurant that Mr. Deffert had come from is right across the street from the park, so we would be walking the same route.

After spending some time at the intersection (out of the road), we will turn around and head back towards the park. Those that wish to do so, can continue on downtown to Monroe Center which is where City Hall is. I am less worried about this part as no one is likely to be there on a Sunday. I suppose if we really wanted to, we could have two groups.

Thoughts?

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »
Tom what about having Breakfast at the restaurant before the walk? I believe I am in town and can drive up. Either way I am pretty sure I can.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 02:10:40 PM »
Tom what about having Breakfast at the restaurant before the walk? I believe I am in town and can drive up. Either way I am pretty sure I can.

I've been considering it, but I need to get ahold of the establishment.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 09:12:29 PM »
Ok, so I'm thinking we meet at Fuller Part on Sunday March 2nd. We leave as a group shortly after 11:30am and head east down Michigan towards the corner of Michigan and Lakeside (Where Mr. Deffert was detained). That should put us there around 12pm which is roughly when Mr. Deffert was detained. Also, the restaurant that Mr. Deffert had come from is right across the street from the park, so we would be walking the same route.

After spending some time at the intersection (out of the road), we will turn around and head back towards the park. Those that wish to do so, can continue on downtown to Monroe Center which is where City Hall is. I am less worried about this part as no one is likely to be there on a Sunday. I suppose if we really wanted to, we could have two groups.

Thoughts?
If this is a "rally", will a permit be necessary? We needed one in Monroe. Didn't know about it in time. But we got help from the police there to get it "expedited" in time for that rally. Friendly to us. I don't think we'd get the same sort of help from GR PD.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 11:07:26 PM »
I say we try to get the restsurant on board, and we go have breakfast. Then its not a rally, but a long walk to our cars that got parked a couple miles away ;). Either way, I'm coming...
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »
Who knows the name of the restaurant? I'm thinking I make a drive up one of these weekends eat a late morning breakfast. Then because I need it, maybe take a walk for exercise. No big groups but just like a normal day.

But if there is a group event/rally/walk whatever it may be called on the 2nd I'll be there.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 12:26:58 AM »
We needed a permit in Monroe both times. Whether GR would require one, I don't know. I raised the point to prevent deadlines being missed if one is necessary.

I know that no signs were carried in Birmingham. And there were a lot of calls made about seeing the people protesting.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:28:54 AM by TheQ »

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
We needed a permit in Monroe both times. Whether GR would require one, I don't know. I raised the point to prevent deadlines being missed if one is necessary.

I know that no signs were carried in Birmingham. And there were a lot of calls made about seeing the people protesting. But they were carrying RIFLES, in case you didn't notice.

Thanks Pat, I'll look into it.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
Re: We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
I'm going to say this once here and let it stand as a warning. If others want to come in and remove comments, that would be understandable to me.

A far as LGOC for this "rally", NO. No way, no how. NO.

If we are to attract the right kind of attention, then we must do this right. People don't go from 0 to fully desensitized, and if we overstep, the entire cause may be harmed as a result. If we want to be seen as reasonable people, then we need to act reasonably. In your face, full throttle, simply will not be accepted by the general public.

Anyone with a long gun will be asked to stow it.

If you wish to further this discussion, you may PM me or email me at tlambert@miopencarry.org.

Thank you for understanding and for your cooperation.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:22:09 AM by bigt8261 »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »
And he touches the third rail...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).