Author Topic: We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR  (Read 20709 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: We should have a rally on 3 (Sunday the 2nd) March in GR
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
I'm still working on fleshing things out. It doesn't look like a permit is needed as long as we stay on the sidewalks and do not obstruct traffic, which is already the plan.

The point of this rally will be to show what every day open carriers look like and who we are. I would suggest that everyone carry the same handgun they carry on a daily basis. The GRPD, stopped a typical, every day open carrier, so we want to demonstrate as the typical open carriers that we are.

The objective is for the people to look at us and realize that we aren't so different, and then feel the same way when they see us in the store or gas station in our every day lives. We're not the ones making every day OC into a big issue.

Stay tuned.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
That was my thought on it too. We aren't protesting anything so there is no need to go over the top with it. Just a casual walk down the sidewalk is all it is...
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
I'm still working on fleshing things out. It doesn't look like a permit is needed as long as we stay on the sidewalks and do not obstruct traffic, which is already the plan.

The point of this rally will be to show what every day open carriers look like and who we are. I would suggest that everyone carry the same handgun they carry on a daily basis. The GRPD, stopped a typical, every day open carrier, so we want to demonstrate as the typical open carriers that we are.

The objective is for the people to look at us and realize that we aren't so different, and then feel the same way when they see us in the store or gas station in our every day lives. We're not the ones making every day OC into a big issue.

Stay tuned.

^^ This

While this is an open carry rally, the focus is on firearms that would normally be open carried for self defense.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Raggs

Re: We should have a rally on 3 March in GR
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
I've been considering it, but I need to get ahold of the establishment.

Why? If a bunch of people were planning on meeting there without firearms do you think they would call them? We say carrying is normal and then we do abnormal things like calling restaurants to see if they care if we bring them business?

Offline casper

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
Why? If a bunch of people were planning on meeting there without firearms do you think they would call them? We say carrying is normal and then we do abnormal things like calling restaurants to see if they care if we bring them business?
It's probably the fact that they may tell us to leave. He was probably just making sure they were on board with open carry. Private property ya know.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:01:22 PM by casper »

Offline Fnp45Solo

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Zohan45Solo
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »
20$ says the same little old lady calls the police... I can her the 911 recording now..... I just got out of church and they are 50 people wearing camo with pistols all on there legs!! Its alarming!!

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: We should have a rally on 3 March in GR
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »

I can see calling if they serve alcohol, or there maybe a seating issue. I do believe your point is valid raggs. Just like we don't call police and ask if it is legal to OC. I do see clearing it though vs.having a private owner reject our business. Maybe have an alternate on tap?
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Since you're not involved in the planning of MOC events, you aren't familiar with the processes we go through to set up our events. We do it as a courtesy to the establishments in order for them to accommodate our large groups. Not because we are seeking their permission. They usually are already supportive.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Fnp45Solo

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Zohan45Solo
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »
The "Senator" that is spoken of is Michigan Repugnican Senator Randy Richardville. During the time when SB-59 was languishing in committee, and Repugnican RINO Richardville was refusing to bring it to the floor for a vote, MOC held 2 rallies in Monroe. One of them included a protest march down the street that his residence was on.  In my opinion the rallies were a tremendous failure, insofar as getting Repugnican RINO Richardville to move the legislation forward. There may have been some other indirect successes.

This situation is no different. As our (assistant) Legislative Director has indicated, the best way to address any involvement by the council in this matter is confront them headlong in their open arena. Making them uncomfortable in their political homes is the best approach. It sheds light on the cockroaches for their constituents to see as they truly are. And anything that impacts the electability of a politician gets their attention!

A protest march in from of the mayor's house will get the attention of but a few. But to draw attention to their continued unlawful support of illegal ordinances right in their council chambers will hurt them right where it matters... their paycheck.

I think this meight be more effective

Offline Raggs

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
I can see calling if they serve alcohol, or there maybe a seating issue. I do believe your point is valid raggs. Just like we don't call police and ask if it is legal to OC. I do see clearing it though vs.having a private owner reject our business. Maybe have an alternate on tap?

They do not serve alcohol. The establishment in question is easily large enough to handle a large group.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »

Since you're not involved in the planning of MOC events, you aren't familiar with the processes we go through to set up our events. We do it as a courtesy to the establishments in order for them to accommodate our large groups. Not because we are seeking their permission. They usually are already supportive.

They do not serve alcohol. The establishment in question is easily large enough to handle a large group.

Alcohol and size are not the reasons that we contact establishments in advance.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Raggs

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
Alcohol and size are not the reasons that we contact establishments in advance.

Likely a waste of time asking, but I would really like to know why?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
Likely a waste of time asking, but I would really like to know why?
I answered that for you twice.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »
I answered that for you twice.

I apologize I missed that, You call even if you know the establishment is large enough?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »
I apologize I missed that, You call even if you know the establishment is large enough?
Yes.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

Actually I have organized with restaurants in the past for large attendance venues beyond MOC. It is just a common courtesy to ensure they can handle that many people at one time. I guess some of us know what courtesy is and some of us don't.

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »

IIRC you currently live in AZ and are in a position to neither organize nor attend any MOC function. While your opinions are valued, you really have no stake in issues in MI if you are not a resident. Therefore kindly allow the leadership of MOC to do it's job. I have every confidence that BigT will do the same outstanding job he has always done.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
Hey, don't make me turn this car around.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Re: We should have a rally on 3 March in GR
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »
IIRC you currently live in AZ and are in a position to neither organize nor attend any MOC function. While your opinions are valued, you really have no stake in issues in MI if you are not a resident. Therefore kindly allow the leadership of MOC to do it's job. I have every confidence that BigT will do the same outstanding job he has always done.

I was in no way criticising anyone! And I was active in MI OC issues long before you, if I'm not mistaken, but who cares. Now - I have many family and friends still in MI. So it matters greatly to me that they and you get the rights you deserve. I believe we met once in Allen Park at the star bucks event IIRC?  Did I seem like I wanted anything else other than good for the members of MOC and the residents of the state?  Oh is there a line in the by-laws that says members from other states should not be able to comment on the forum?
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
Re: Re: Re: We should have a rally on 3 March in GR
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
I was in no way criticising anyone! And I was active in MI OC issues long before you, if I'm not mistaken, but who cares. Now - I have many family and friends still in MI. So it matters greatly to me that they and you get the rights you deserve. I believe we met once in Allen Park at the star bucks event IIRC?  Did I seem like I wanted anything else other than good for the members of MOC and the residents of the state?  Oh is there a line in the by-laws that says members from other states should not be able to comment on the forum?

I do not believe we have met, and just fyi I was open carrying long before learning or and joining MOC. But that is neither here nor there. You may comment as much as you like, however your comments to me did indeed seem like criticism. If that is not the case, then so be it, however it is what I perceived, which is all I can respond to.