Author Topic: non-CPL Open Carry - removing from trunk procedures  (Read 8528 times)

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
non-CPL Open Carry - removing from trunk procedures
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
I have yet to drive some place to open carry.  I will have a chance soon (seminar in Grand Rapids).  That said and knowing we should not load our guns in our trunk.  And knowing that I don't have my CPL yet, what is the best procedure to load our pistols after retrieving it from our trunk?  What is the best procedure to disarm and store it in the trunk?  Also, would it be better for me to remove the magazines and put them in my glove box? This way I don't have to reload them?

I know stupid questions but someone has to ask, right?  I did not see this covered or perhaps I overlooked it.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: non-CPL Open Carry - removing from trunk procedures
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
I would start by reading the very first thread in this subforum titled: New? Start Here (Info only -- No Discussion Please)

In fact, reply #22 should address your questions:

Open Carry w/out a CPL

Here is the part of that post that answers your question.

+++++

To transport your pistol you are required to have the pistol unloaded and enclosed in a case that is designed for the storage of firearms and the encased pistol has to be in the trunk of the vehicle or if there is no trunk it has to be not easily accessible to the people in the vehicle.  It would be suggested that if you do not have a trunk to have a case that you can lock or place a lock onto, if it ever were to come into question its always best to appear to be making every attempt to comply with the law.  The pistol and magazine do NOT have to be separated as it is not a requirement under MCL 750.231a, the firearm has to be unloaded which means no magazine in the firearm and no round chambered.  The magazine can be in the same container as the firearm itself as long as the magazine is not loaded into the magazine well while you are transporting.

To ready your firearm for transportation here are the steps to follow:
Walk to the back of the vehicle with your firearms case

With both case and firearm completely outside of the vehicle find a spot to place your firearms case.

Unholster your pistol and remove the magazine and any rounds that might be chambered.

If you prefer you may place the round that was once chambered back into the magazine.

Place both the completely unloaded pistol and the (which is allowed to be loaded) magazine in your firearms case.

Place the firearm which is now located in your firearms case in the trunk of the vehicle and close the trunk.

You are ready to transport. 

If you do NOT have a trunk place the encased and completely unloaded firearm at what is preferably the furthest most point in your vehicle where you or someone else will not be able to easily access it, if you have a lock on your firearms case secure the lock into the ‘locked’ state. 

When you arrive at the destination where you can lawfully open carry you will need to retrieve your firearm from the trunk for the vehicle, or if there is no trunk from the location you placed the encased firearm.  To retrieve your firearm follow the above steps in the reverse order:

Open the trunk (or locate your encased firearm)

Take the encased firearm and yourself completely outside of the vehicle, to include the trunk space

Open the case

Load your firearm

Holster

Place the now empty container back into your trunk or vehicle if you have no trunk

Open carry.

When handling your firearm at your trunk please remember all safe firearm handling practices to avoid any unwanted accidents, the firearm is required to be handled out of necessity due to the current laws, only handle your firearm when necessary and always be safe.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »
This threads bring back memories of pre-CPL carry.  Nothing like standing at the back of the car and racking a round.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:22:43 AM »
This threads bring back memories of pre-CPL carry.  Nothing like standing at the back of the car and racking a round.

Yeah I don't miss those days. Much easier with cpl
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »
Yep, I remember the first time (after giving up Az. resident status and losing my ability to carry "concealed" with my AZ CPL) pulling out my pistol case and feeling quite foolish and nervous loading and racking a round next to my vehicle.

But it does come easier every time you do it and you know you are doing it by law.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
But it does come easier every time you do it and you know you are doing it by law.

By the time my CPL arrived, I wasn't being shy about it.  Jam the mag in, slingshot the slide, holster.  When the wife asks if you have to be so loud, respond with, "I want to make sure the round goes into battery!"

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »
You guys definitely hit the nail on the head with this one.  Glad to know I was not the only one who is/was nervous about loading in the parking lot.  Just thinking about possibility of people seeing me rack the slide and then holster.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »
This is why I am so against not being able to carry a loaded gun in the car. Every time someone loads and unloads their gun the possibility for a discharge is high. I don't even unload mine at all any more, except for cleaning or other necessary reason. I have a safe in the truck. Put the loaded gun in there if I can't carry in someplace. At home it's still loaded and nearby. (I have a CPL)
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »
You guys definitely hit the nail on the head with this one.  Glad to know I was not the only one who is/was nervous about loading in the parking lot.  Just thinking about possibility of people seeing me rack the slide and then holster.

Like the old Nike ads said "Just do it!". It was Nike wasn't it????

Offline Raggs

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 08:07:58 AM »
This is why I am so against not being able to carry a loaded gun in the car. Every time someone loads and unloads their gun the possibility for a discharge is high. I don't even unload mine at all any more, except for cleaning or other necessary reason. I have a safe in the truck. Put the loaded gun in there if I can't carry in someplace. At home it's still loaded and nearby. (I have a CPL)

I think that changing existing law, or writing new law for the legal carry of a firearm in a car by non-cpl holders would be a great idea. The question is how to pressure our representatives to actually do it. I heard Rick Ector passionatly ask senator Hildenbrand to pass this kind of law. I hope it eventually does pass, though I doubt Snyder would sign the bill into law, no matter how common sense it is.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »
King Snyder is not our friend. I came to this sad reality a year ago. Honestly, it took a lot of wind out of my sails.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline casper

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
I go so far as to attach a lanyard to my case and hang the lanyard out of the trunk. That way I don't reach in the trunk at all to get the case out to put my gun back when I transport.

Offline Michigun

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
King Snyder is not our friend. I came to this sad reality a year ago. Honestly, it took a lot of wind out of my sails.

What was the last straw?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »
What was the last straw?
He is anti-gun. Herr Schnieder is nothing more than a progressive liberal RINO.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »

What was the last straw?

There are some things I'm privy to I can't discuss.

Suffice to say the NRA had some very mildly pro-gun legislation that Snyder tried to water down even more.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline welshj

• First Name (Displayed): Joel
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 11:35:28 AM »
Much appreciated information.

I am a former Michigan resident, now reside in Ohio.
I have family, and travel to and fro quite often.
My ohio CCH makes it a moot point for me-
but researching for a family member led me to this forum and started me on the right path to providing her the correct answer.

In short-
thank you!