Author Topic: How I can determine if he/she is trying to desensitize me or if he/she is schizo  (Read 1925 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
We received this question in our mailbox.
If I see someone openly carrying, please tell me how I can determine if he/she is trying to desensitize me or if he/she is schizophrenic and listening to the voices in his/her head telling him/her to randomly shoot people.  This is a serious question because I am thoroughly confused.: The content of message field on the contact form
What are your thoughts?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
Hello there, thank you for your question.

I understand what you are saying, but in my opinion I believe you are approaching the subject from the wrong direction. Rather than trying to come up with a reason to NOT fear someone, I would instead recommend first coming up with a reason TO fear that person.

Often times people will point to someone's capacity for violence as a reason for concern, but what they are really talking about is known capacity. If someone is having issues or has decided that they are not going to follow the law, what is to stop them from simply concealing their firearm? In this respect, if someone wishes to avoid people with firearms because that person does not know enough about the gun carrier(s), then I would suggest carrying firearms openly better facilitates said avoidance.

Furthermore, one's capacity for violence is based on far more than any visible weapons they may possess. Here is an example of how someone in Michigan used their voice to kill 73 people, including 59 children, which is almost three times the number of children killed in Sandy Hook. Italian Hall Disaster. There are also numerous examples of people driving cars through crowds of people.

Lastly, if you would like to know more, there are many things that I can point to, to suggest why you should not be concerned with someone openly carrying a holstered handgun. Things such as criminals by and large, do not use holsters, especially ones that are visible because an empty holster is still an issue after they have dumped their firearm. Also, keep in mind that anyone in Michigan that is openly carrying a holstered pistol, has already gone through the national background check system.

Thank you for your interest. I have posted your question in our forums HERE if you would like to see what others have to say.

Tom Lambert
Assistant Legislative Director
Assistant SW Regional Coordinator
Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
I had not heard of the Italian Hall Disaster before.

I think it is a great example that does not involve guns, explosives, or a school; but still shows the potential for ill intent to cause a lot of death and injury.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
Rather than trying to come up with a reason to NOT fear someone, I would instead recommend first coming up with a reason TO fear that person.

Tom I like your way of saying this.

Of course my thoughts are if a person feels concerned about someone, observe them while in your vicinity. Not to be confused with stare at them. The same thing a police officer should or would do. (Referencing the police is a calming way to talk to an anti. in my eyes)

If you see nothing that concerns you except a gun, then move on with your business.

If you have a fear based solely on the fact a gun is near you, get to know a gun owner / carrier or two. Talk to them, ask questions. Learn why you may have an automatic fear.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Good answer Tom!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
Ryan, I do this once a year whether I like it or not (give a good answer). Too bad it is so early in the year though.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
There is no way to be sure about whats in another persons head but the open carrier is less likely to be a problem then the person walking behind or beside him.
How do you KNOW they aren't planning on blowing up the whole block with the bomb that might be under their jacket?