Author Topic: New Guy From Western Michigan  (Read 5543 times)

Offline Michigun

New Guy From Western Michigan
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »
Hi everybody.  I was disappointed to learn that I missed out on your open carry seminar in GR on 1/18, so I decided it was time I join the forum, keep up on your upcoming events, and maybe even practice open carry from time to time.

I’m don’t contribute much to any of the forums I frequent, so you won’t see much activity from me, but I wanted to at least introduce myself and thank those of you who have made a positive impact on Second Amendment related causes.

As you are no doubt aware, not all gun rights supporters are in favor of open carry, and I myself cringe at the behavior of some activists.  I’m sure other members here have watched more than one YouTube video where they’ve seen an activist behaving just as badly as or worse than some of the law enforcement personnel portrayed in those same videos.  That being said, I want to reinforce my gratitude to those of you who have, and/or continue to, put energy into this cause in a positive way that benefits others.

I started my gun rights journey decades ago, long before the Internet was around in the way we know it today.  So, I did most of my research at our County’s law library and all my correspondence had to be done through the US Mail.   I remember sitting in the County building reading the various statutes and thinking to myself, how did those generations before us let this happen.

It took me a long time to get my first concealed pistol license back in the early 90’s and it was a restricted license which was called a “Home, Bank, And Business” license.  This was after my second appearance at the County Gun Board.  The extremely restricted license they offered me at my first appearance was just a “Fishing and Hunting” license or whatever it was called back then and I turned it down on principle.

I have been a member of the NRA since before I owned a firearm and here closer to home I was a member with MCRGO.  I’m still a proud member of the NRA, Benefactor member actually, but dropped my MCRGO membership long ago.  I don’t even remember some of the decisions MCRGO made which I disagreed with enough to leave that organization, but regardless, I’m grateful to them for all of the positive that they did to get shall issue here in Michigan and I’m hopeful they are currently making a positive impact.

The NRA has never pissed me off to the point I’ve ever considered leaving that organization.  I know there are many firearm owners out there, probably some right here on this board, who bash the NRA every chance they get, but I am not aware of any other organization who has done more to push the momentum in the right direction.  I know there were others who were responsible for the major victories achieved in the Supreme Court recently who were not directly affiliated with the NRA and I’m grateful to them and all who support them, but I still see the NRA as the big dog in this fight.  There is no doubt that the NRA is responsible for the majority of the victories across this great Country which have resulted in the culture change I’ve witnessed since I started this journey decades ago.

Well enough about the past, the main reason that I’m here is that I’m tired of our State mandated prohibited places.  I think it’s absurd that we have any prohibited places at all and even though I am only personally regularly affected by a few, I want as many of them removed as possible.  I think the open carry movement can help, so I’m here to learn more.  Although I’ve known for quite some time that it appears one can open carry in some of these prohibited places if they have a valid CPL, I’ve never done so myself.  If after I learn more on the subject of open carry I feel comfortable, I plan practicing it from time to time.  My hopes are that in the short term this may give me the ability to protect myself in some of the places I feel most vulnerable.  Further, I hope that in the long term it may help change public perception or have even the smallest impact on helping to get the list of prohibited places reduced or eliminated.

You’ll see me hanging around the forums here to learn more, and I hope to attend the seminar in GR on February 20th.  Thanks again to those of you who are acting in a responsible way to further this cause and I hope to meet some of you at an upcoming event.  Most Importantly, I hope that our actions, or lack thereof, do not cause future generations to ponder how we let ... happen.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:14:07 PM by Michigun »

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: New Guy From Western Michigan
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »
Welcome.

IMO MOC has done great work here in MI.

Another national organization that has been in the forefront of the big legal decision, 2nd amendment org.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:11:27 PM »
Welcome from Kentwood.

The next seminar in the area will be February 20th. Make sure you check the events section and sign up for our email updates. www.miopencarry.org/updates.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
Welcome from Erie. Glad to have you aboard.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline hevymetal

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »
Welcome from Clinton Township. :)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
Welcome from Okemos. :)  What a great introduction!  I agree with most if not all of your sentiments.  In addition to gun-free zones, vehicle carry without a CPL also needs to be addressed.

In any event, welcome. And as bigt suggests, go to www.miopencarry.org/updates and sign up for the event updates, legal updates, and newsletter!  (New issue coming out next week).

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
New Guy From Western Michigan
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
Bumble tuna from michigans salad bowl.

Open carry, Open minds

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 05:11:59 PM »
Welcome from Kentwood.    :)

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »
Welcome from Allendale!
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:25 AM »
Welcome from Kalamazoo (or there about).
I hope you stay and read and make appearances at events when possible. I have found there are more 2nd amendment supporters then there are "activists" here in MOC. I hope you see the same.

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »
Another welcome from Kalamazoo.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Zeteo

• First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »
Welcome from Brownstown
No law ever prevented a crime.

Offline Michigun

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Offline bchapman833

• First Name (Displayed): Ben
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »
Greetings from the Spring Lake area!!

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Howdy from warren.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
welcome from north macomb/iosco counties :) yes i have 2 homes one downstate and one up north :)

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
Welcome from Howell