Author Topic: Open Carry at the Canton Public Library  (Read 6841 times)

Offline RCanton

• MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • First Name (Displayed): RCanton
Open Carry at the Canton Public Library
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
Excellent Experience today while OC at the library during story time with the kids. A young parent with his 15 month old son and I were speaking about kids/activities. He asked: "So are you a cop," obviously seeing my firearm. I said no, just that I'm open carrying(gave him the reasons I do so), also reminding him that it's a great way to show the rest of the public that good people do carry firearms and that I had a moral obligation to defend my daughters. I did mention to him too that unfortunately, bad things happen in good places. The guy was extremely friendly so I decided to ask him where he worked. He said he's actually a pilot for Delta. I asked him what his thoughts are on pilots carrying in the cockpit. He said he had mixed views on that. He did mention, however, that pilots who already have experience in firearms, can go through a 2 week training that would allow them to carry on the plane! Interesting! He did admit that his fear was that with too many pilots carrying, the possibility for accidental discharge would increase. However, he did state that he was surprised and pleased that there haven't been any accidental discharges (finger off the trigger and following all gun safety rules would eliminate these "accidental" discharges anyways. He also asked about my ALS holster and the retention level. Remember all: We represent the entire firearms community. Perhaps I helped set in this pilot's mind that "hey, here's a good guy with his two young daughters that has a gun and isn't hurting anyone."

Note: I have Open Carried multiple times at the CPL(no pun intended) with zero issues. Mind you, the Police Department is right across the parking lot.

Offline fitrah

Re: Open Carry at the Canton Public Library
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Howdy
I live in Canton too. Open carry while walking around on the streets, no issues. I would suggest everyone to get a CPL though. While walking you cross many schools and you can't even walk on the sidewalk without a CPL.

Offline casper

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
"Negligent" not "accidental" discharge. ;D It's nice to hear no one ran out in fear. We are making progress, thanks for your help.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »
Howdy
I live in Canton too. Open carry while walking around on the streets, no issues. I would suggest everyone to get a CPL though. While walking you cross many schools and you can't even walk on the sidewalk without a CPL.

I agree, if there is anyway you can get one you should, makes carrying openly easier as well as adding to where you can legally carry.

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »
I thought sidewalks are public property

Offline casper

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
They are.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
1,000' rule?

Offline casper

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
1,000' rule?
Not true. Your legally "registered" gun waves the 1000' rule.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »
Welcome to MOC.

Come join us on Feb 28th for  the MOC Open Carry Seminar at Novei Gander Mountain

Details here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3540.0.html
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline RCanton

• MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • First Name (Displayed): RCanton
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 12:05:28 AM »
Thanks to all for your replies. Abu, where else in Canton have you OC'ed? I've been inside the Canton PD, City Hall to pay the water bill, Credit Union, Bank, restaurants, Meijer, Sams Club, etc.  Stay well my friends...randy

Offline fitrah

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 01:05:16 AM »
Everywhere I can.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:06 AM »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
As a reminder, we focus on handgun carry. Not rifle carry (whether or not it has a stock).
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:10 AM »
If you want to discuss the rules, please start a new thread in "Off Topic" or "Members Feedback"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:20:15 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:53 AM »
If you want to discuss the rules, please start a new thread in "Off Topic" or "Members Feedback"
I'll start one up in the "Member's Feedback" section so we don't clutter up this thread any further.