Author Topic: New to Open Carry  (Read 3389 times)

Offline xxarea83xx

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
New to Open Carry
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
I live in Southern Shelby Twp.  I am a new CPL holder, so I will not have any issue in any weather. I want to post this question now, before the summer months hit.

I have a full-sized Ruger SR9.  I have both an OWB holster (Blackhawk Serpa) and an IWB holster (FoxX).  Both are great. However, I have a difficult time keeping it fully concealed, as the grip extends pretty far. Trading to a smaller weapon isn't an option, as I am extremely comfortable with it and, for me, it shoots like a dream. During the summer months, away from work, it will be easier (and less expensive) for me to open carry (no, I'm not settling. I enjoy both conceal and open carry). 

My question is, in Shelby Twp. and surrounding cities (ie. Utica, Troy, Sterling Heights, Clinton Twp., ect.), will I face a lot of adversity from businesses, locals, and/or LEO's? I have read business listings on various websites, however, there are several of those businesses that do not have "gun free" signs. What other businesses without these signs do not allow OC?

Otherwise, how many people in these areas regularly OC? It obviously isn't that popular, as I can only think of one time I've ever seen an open carrier.

(I have tried to search this forum for answers, but I couldn't find anything clear for my home area)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New to Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
First off, welcome. Do you have a CPL?

I would assume any place that isn't posted and is otherwise lawful for you to OC in us OC friendly until they ask you to leave.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Re: New to Open Carry
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:08:04 PM »
Hey, Q, he said
I am a new CPL holder....
in the second sentence.  ::)
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New to Open Carry
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
...in which case, the second part of my post applies.

See the FAQ thread in the "OC Questions" forum for places that are legal to carry.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).