Author Topic: Brazen tactics by open carry advocates do little to spur productive debate  (Read 4046 times)

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Waah poor police they have such a hard job... You know following that pesky document called the bill of rights...

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
If there is a point to make about gun rights, open carry advocates need to make it in a way that doesn’t alarm the general public or make police officers’ jobs more difficult.

I refuse to post on MLive, so I'll rant here...

So I need to find a way to advocate open carry... but not while open carrying.  That makes perfect sense.  BRILLIANT!!!! Wow, we here at MOC are way behind the times.  Those MLive opinion editors are freakin' geniuses.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Those MLive opinion editors are freakin' geniuses.

I disagree.   ;D

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
"Amateur hour $#|t show" is the phrase that comes to mind when I think of the MLive comment threads regarding this case.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline ghostrider

"Deffert’s actions were intended to increase awareness that open carry is lawful in Michigan and to rally public support, his attorney wrote in his lawsuit. He also confirmed the officer’s observation his client was talking or singing to himself."

Can someone tell me where the lawyer confirmed Deffert talking to himself?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
"Deffert’s actions were intended to increase awareness that open carry is lawful in Michigan and to rally public support, his attorney wrote in his lawsuit. He also confirmed the officer’s observation his client was talking or singing to himself."

Can someone tell me where the lawyer confirmed Deffert talking to himself?

MLive writer John Agar wrote that here:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/12/post_471.html

Nowhere is it stated to whom Dulan ever said this.  In fact, all of Dulan's other remarks that MLive repeated came from the federal complaint filed.  It appears to be a case of shoddy reporting at best.  It's possible that MLive contacted Dulan and he commented to them that it appears the only reason Deffert was detained and cuffed is because they said he was talking to himself, and that's not against the law.  That is not admitting that Deffert was actually doing that, only that even the police's excuse for doing that is faulty.

He also confirmed the officer’s observation his client was talking or singing to himself.

Again, it is faulty writing.  According to that paragraph, they are reading the complaint, but no where in it does Dulan stipulate that Deffert was actually doing that.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/193537336/Deffert-Complaint#

I have contacted the MLive writer John Agar about this.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:35:19 AM by gryphon »

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Maybe the MLive Editoral staff can explain
Martin Luther King - I was a child growing up in FL when the violence was going on.  I still distinctly remember it today.
Rosa Parks - While not violent, a more passive ILLEGAL protest

Both of them were violating the laws.  Mr. Deffert was doing what is legal in the state of MI

While we're on the in your face protests, maybe MLive can explain current "general" acceptance and tolerance of gays.  Certainly gay activism had something to do with it.

Neither of which is called out in the Bill of Rights!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Maybe the MLive Editoral staff can explain

John Agar got back to me and told me that he interviewed Steve Dulan and Steve told him that in the interview.  I have asked Steve if that reporting is accurate.

Offline ghostrider

John Agar got back to me and told me that he interviewed Steve Dulan and Steve told him that in the interview.  I have asked Steve if that reporting is accurate.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it since my internet access is my phone.