Author Topic: Study on Gun Injuries  (Read 2729 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Study on Gun Injuries
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
This study is supposed to be about children, but they use people under 20. http://www.healthcentral.com/dailydose/cf/2014/01/28/gun_injuries_hospitalize_20_u_s_children_a_day/comments

I would be curious to see the numbers for under 18 and break it down by crime related, suicide, and accident. I would like to see a breakdown of the crimes related to specific crimes and whether or not they are gang related and what cities and states these occurred.

It would be interesting to know why they area calling legal adults children. Are the stats skewed by including gang members in the 18-20 age range? Granted you can be younger, but what are the numbers further broken down.

My hunch is that Chicago, D.C. and other cities with similarly anti-gun laws would have the higher numbers for criminal activity, especially gang related. Accidents and suicides should be more evenly spread across the country.

I wonder if anyone has done a study of gun "accidents" for age, ethnicity, income, education, etc. Are gun accidents more prone in poor homes, less educated homes, etc? Also a breakdown of legally possessed vs. illegally possessed weapons would be good. Identifying who is the most careless with guns would shine a light on which segment of the population to reinforce gun safety rules and keeping guns and ammunition away from unsupervised children.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Study on Gun Injuries
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »
It would be interesting to know why they area calling legal adults children.
Because the stats are skewed by teen gangbangers.  If you look at the actual stats for children (under 13) they are small.  That doesn't show what the Brady Bunch want to show.
Are the stats skewed by including gang members in the 18-20 age range?
Yes, only it goes even younger.
I wonder if anyone has done a study of gun "accidents" for age, ethnicity, income, education, etc.
Yes.  The FBI Uniform Crime Statistics is a good start.  More charts and breakdowns than you can analyze.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-offense/expandedoffensemain
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:34:13 PM by gryphon »

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
Looking at the FBI crime statistics the age range of 17-19 is lumped together. This was a large percentage of the total under 20 for murder.

I'll have to dig into this and see if gun "accidents" are in here. I am pretty sure another time I looked at this suicides were in there.

I like that they do have a table of justifiable homicides and break it down into LEOs and civilians.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »
I was reading some on this just yesterday, but I read so much that I can't remember the study I read!