Author Topic: First Time OC'ng in the parking lot at my daughter's preschool!  (Read 5580 times)

Offline RCanton

• MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • First Name (Displayed): RCanton
January 28, 2014
First Open Carry experience at my daugther's Preschool today!:
note: (I was OC'ng for maybe 20 seconds, but the point is, its a start!)

My 2.5 year old is the last one in the family to be recovering from the flu. When I went to drop off the 4 year old at school(pistol concealed in the car at this point), I was told by the staff that I should have just called them so that they could send someone out to take the 4 year old, that way I wouldn't have to take the sick 2.5 year old out of the car and into the school. Well, on the way to pick up my 4 year old in the evening, I thought, this would be a perfect opportunity to OC. While waiting in front of private school in my car, I called the school. Minutes after, the teacher brought the 4 year old out, I got out of my car (now OC'ng), thanked the teacher and walked around the side of the car to secure my daugther. There was a grandparent also walking out with her grandchild. I'm not sure if anyone saw my pistol, but the point is, it was a start for me. My comfort level is not up to the point yet where I feel comfortable open carrying inside the school. The staff knows us well! We have volunteered a couple times at school events. I am considering having a discussion with the school leaders on OC.

Offline Raggs

Re: First Time OC'ng in the parking lot at my daughter's preschool!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
well Done!

Offline hevymetal

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »
Kudos to you sir :) Carry On!

Offline casper

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
Just a side note. You are not "concealing" in your car. Non CPL holders cannot "transport" in a vehicle. That has nothing to do with concealed or not. If that were the case, you would be "concealing" if you sat in a booth with your gun to the wall. By the way good for you. It does get easier.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
only thing that might cause an issue is that its a private school. as you stated above " standing in front of private school" private property rules = trumps state & fed laws

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
it's like going to a nude beach for the first time..it get easier as you go (side note: i've never been to a nude beach)
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »
it's like going to a nude beach for the first time..it get easier as you go (side note: i've never been to a nude beach)

If you have never been how do you know it gets easier? If you see a hot woman and you are not medically defective I would think it would get harder, wouldn't it?

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »
January 28, 2014
First Open Carry experience at my daugther's Preschool today!:
note: (I was OC'ng for maybe 20 seconds, but the point is, its a start!)

My 2.5 year old is the last one in the family to be recovering from the flu. When I went to drop off the 4 year old at school(pistol concealed in the car at this point), I was told by the staff that I should have just called them so that they could send someone out to take the 4 year old, that way I wouldn't have to take the sick 2.5 year old out of the car and into the school. Well, on the way to pick up my 4 year old in the evening, I thought, this would be a perfect opportunity to OC. While waiting in front of private school in my car, I called the school. Minutes after, the teacher brought the 4 year old out, I got out of my car (now OC'ng), thanked the teacher and walked around the side of the car to secure my daugther. There was a grandparent also walking out with her grandchild. I'm not sure if anyone saw my pistol, but the point is, it was a start for me. My comfort level is not up to the point yet where I feel comfortable open carrying inside the school. The staff knows us well! We have volunteered a couple times at school events. I am considering having a discussion with the school leaders on OC.
Hey good for you. I have open carried a few times in West Bloomfield at my daughters Elementary School with no issues. Fox2 got a hold of the story and said parents were outraged which was a complete flat out lie. Not one single person made a big deal of it and I recorded the entire encounter just in case I was arrested etc... It takes some getting used to just make sure you have a camera handy and film the police encounter should there be one. Another thing is that once the news gets a hold of it your name and face could be out there for everyone to see including your employer and that may not be a good thing. Think before you do and good luck. Oh just one more thing; you make mention of a private school. Be careful with that because if they asked you to leave a private property you do so immediately, don't hang around. Also make sure that you don't accidently cover your gun even for a minute or you will be charged under MCL 28.425o for carrying a concealed weapon in a pistol free zone. GOOD JOB...