Author Topic: BART Officer Shoots and Kills BART Officer During SWAT Raid on Empty Apartment  (Read 10479 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Original story:

http://news.kron4.com/news/bart-officer-shot-in-dublin/

Follow-up:

http://www.officer.com/news/11300919/bart-to-now-require-approval-to-search-homes

So five officers involved in a raid, all were issued body cameras, one kills another, and none of them, not one, turned their cameras on before the raid.

Don't you find that, well, odd?  As in not believable?

“The outcome that we were trying to achieve did not occur.”   :o

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
amazing!

What the PD leadership ought to be doing disciplining each and every one of them.  The cameras and their memory cards should be removed from service and quarantiened to verify the videos weren't just deleted... but the blue wall is pretty high.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
But but but.... ONLY POLICE ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO HAVE GUNS. NOTHING BAD EVER HAPPENS WHEN THE HAVE THEM!!@#!@#@@!@!
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Why does BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) have a SWAT team, and why are they raiding people's houses?  Someone jump a turnstile to save a $2 fare?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
Why does BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) have a SWAT team, and why are they raiding people's houses?  Someone jump a turnstile to save a $2 fare?

I was thinking the same thing.   There probably won't be much of a push for more information since no civilian was hurt.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
I was thinking the same thing.   There probably won't be much of a push for more information since no civilian was hurt.
To use the term civilian implies a differentiation between  the Armed Forces and all others.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Many police officers do not consider themselves "civilians."  In fact, in one thread I read the police academies are now using the term civilian to refer to us to differentiate us from them.  It's part of the police mindset.  And since many academies are now recruiting ex-military, the younger cops are coming into law enforcement with military mindsets. 

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
And since many academies are now recruiting ex-military....

That should be a good thing, since most in the military I have interacted with seem to understand the Constitution and rights.

As I understand it the troops in areas of current conflicts were glad to have known good-guy civilians with automatic weapons.

"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
That should be a good thing

I don't know.  I understand why they like them, they are already trained on how to handle weapons and obey orders without question.  I think the .gov also gives PDs and prisons some sort of incentive to hire people when they leave the military so they aren't unemployed.  I read that somewhere, don't know how true it is.

The older cops that have commented on a couple of forums I participate in have said a lot of the younger guys eat, breathe, and live law enforcement and are little Nazis.  You often see them on policeone.com and officer.com.   They don't often use judgement and discretion, and if told to confiscate guns from citizens or arrest them for onerous and unconstitutional weapons violations, would, whereas the older guys would refuse or quit.  In fact, at least one younger cop admitted it saying that he will do whatever he is told to do, and if you don't like the laws, change them.  He is not an Oathkeeper.

One LEO on a car forum, well, let me quote what he stated:
This is typical of what I have tried to tell many here regarding what type of applicants you get for police officer when you pay crap wages and have poor benefits.

NO has had nationwide advertisements out for years looking for cops from other parts of the country to come and work there. Guess why not many do? Guess what type of recruits they get for entry level positions?

Don't get me wrong I know there are some dedicated, hard working, and honest copper's working there. They are just over shadowed by the large number of criminals posing as cops.
That was after I posted this about the NOPD:
http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/nopd_report.pdf

This just covers the last few years, and doesn’t even go back far enough to address the Katrina stuff.  Here’s a couple of excerpts. I urge you to read the whole thing. Police corruption is widespread, rampant, and structural (supported by the brass).

The NOPD has long been a troubled agency. Basic elements of effective policing— clear policies, training, accountability, and confidence of the citizenry—have been absent for years.  Too many officers of every rank either do not understand or choose to ignore the boundaries of constitutional policing. Some argue that, given the difficulty of police work, officers must at times police harshly and bend the rules when a community is confronted with seemingly intransigent high levels of crime.  NOPD’s failure to ensure that its officers routinely respect the Constitution and the rule of law undermines trust within the very communities whose cooperation the Department most needs to enforce the law and prevent crime.

The deficiencies in the way NOPD polices the City are not simply individual, but structural as well. For too long, the Department has been largely indifferent to widespread violations of law and policy by its officers. We found that the deficiencies that lead to constitutional violations span the operation of the entire Department, from how officers are recruited, trained, supervised, and held accountable, to the operation of Paid Details. In the absence of mechanisms to protect and promote civil rights, officers too frequently use excessive force and conduct illegal stops, searches and arrests with impunity.

We found that officers in NOPD routinely use unnecessary and unreasonable force in violation of the Constitution and NOPD policy.

Our investigation did not include consideration of widely reported allegations of officer misconduct related to NOPD’s response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Many of these incidents have been, or are currently being, prosecuted by the Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division and the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana. We deliberately kept our civil investigation separate from the criminal investigation and prosecution of any NOPD officer, and this Report does not discuss any incident that is the subject of ongoing federal criminal proceedings. Nonetheless, our investigation, which covered incidents that occurred within the past two years and assessed practices as they exist currently, revealed a clear pattern of unconstitutional uses of force by NOPD officers.

That’s just a TINY bit of the executive summary.  Read the entire thing.  It’s only 158 pages.

As stated above, this doesn't even cover the Katrina abuses.  Just recently there were 23 NOPD (New Orleans Police Department) convictions in the Danziger Bridge murders, including civil rights infractions, cover-ups, planting evidence, and homicide (charged with murder).  That is just one.  One of many.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
That should be a good thing

Not according to Dianne Feinstein.  She said: "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."

http://eaglerising.com/4382/democrat-says-military-veterans-mentally-ill/

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
I don't know.  I understand why they like them, they are already trained on how to handle weapons and obey orders without question.  I think the .gov also gives PDs and prisons some sort of incentive to hire people when they leave the military so they aren't unemployed.  I read that somewhere, don't know how true it is.

Yes, there is a push to hire veterans.

As for obeying orders without question, the enlisted folks still need to realize that they took an oath to defend the Constitution against enemies foreign and domestic. To me, that trumps whatever an officer tells them if it's patently unconstitutional.

But hey, what do I know. I'm only an LT.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
I can't speak to anywhere else except around here in SE Michigan. The hiring pendulum has swung in the other direction. Police departments are working with reduced budgets and a large supply of applicants. They are being very selective in their hiring. It isn't adequate to have formal education. They are looking for higher level education and increased GPAs over past periods.

Terms in the classroom are "community" and "citizens."
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
As for obeying orders without question, the enlisted folks still need to realize that they took an oath to defend the Constitution against enemies foreign and domestic. To me, that trumps whatever an officer tells them if it's patently unconstitutional.

But hey, what do I know. I'm only an LT.

Apparently you've never seen the video of the young soldier whose unit was deployed to assist in town one day.  When asked this question, he said he would do whatever he was told to do.  I believe he was Indiana National Guard.  I've had active military tell me that it is not in their purview to determine whether an order is constitutional or not.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
Apparently you've never seen the video of the young soldier whose unit was deployed to assist in town one day.  When asked this question, he said he would do whatever he was told to do.  I believe he was Indiana National Guard.  I've had active military tell me that it is not in their purview to determine whether an order is constitutional or not.

And that's a damn shame.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
And there's all the Katrina videos of the Oklahoma National Guard and the California Highway Patrol violating citizens rights.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
And there's all the Katrina videos of the Oklahoma National Guard and the California Highway Patrol violating citizens rights.
Intentional or unintentional, they proved that citizens will give up their guns when so ordered.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Intentional or unintentional, they proved that citizens will give up their guns when so ordered.

In the videos I watched, citizens did not give them up freely.  They were all at gunpoint from law enforcement.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
In the videos I watched, citizens did not give them up freely.  They were all at gunpoint from law enforcement.

you made my point for me.  They gave them up.  Now law enforcement knows they can issue unlawful orders and suffer no immediate or long term consequences.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
you made my point for me.  They gave them up.  Now law enforcement knows they can issue unlawful orders and suffer no immediate or long term consequences.
When out gunned, I'd "give up" too. But you do what you want. Have your next of kin let us know how it works out for you.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
When out gunned, I'd "give up" too. But you do what you want. Have your next of kin let us know how it works out for you.
I would bet 99.9% of us, and that includes me, will voluntarily give them up when confronted with overwhelming force.  That's still my point, when it comes down to it, it won't be a big deal to confiscate our registered firearms.  Since we have registration, how hard will it be to go door to door and collect them?