Author Topic: Grand Rapids Mayor Geroge Heartwell Doesn't Want To Be Desensitized  (Read 16233 times)

Offline 91 whiskey

Re: Grand Rapids Mayor Geroge Heartwell Doesn't Want To Be Desensitized
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »
+1000 here is the Commission meeting schedule http://grcity.us/city-clerk/Documents/City%20Commission%20Meetings%20Annual.pdf
One of the Commissioners said the Mayor was doing a find job.

Will have to see if I can get some time off from work.   I'll keep you posted.
Elephants and Asses
Screwing The Masses.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
TTAG has picked up on this, but they are over a day behind.  I caught them up.   ;D

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/robert-farago/grand-rapids-mayor-george-heartwell-anxious-and-frightened-by-armed-citizen/

Tom, you should email Farago (publisher) at TTAG and maybe give him a short synopsis of what's been going on.  He'll publish it.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
UPDATE:  TTAG is creating a separate thread on your response, Tom.  Should be online any minute!

UPDATE: It's gone live!  Nice pic of Tom, too.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/robert-farago/open-carry-advocate-responds-grand-rapids-mayor-george-heartwells-pro-gun-control-statement-city-council/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:16:51 PM by gryphon »

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »
i enjoy reading these stories for the comments. usually a couple really good ones in there. thankfully detroit cops are not anti gun nor are the sheriff's out where i live. ive had them come up to me while walking around my town in summer OC and ask how im doing, have normal conversation, and not have to worry about being harrassed. its amazing what happens when LEO are properly informed of the laws or lack of law stating something is prohibited.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
Detroit cops, not anti-gun?  Really?  You should talk to Rick Ector...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Raggs

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
thankfully detroit cops are not anti gun nor are the sheriff's out where i live. ive had them come up to me while walking around my town in summer OC and ask how im doing, have normal conversation,

Them having a nice conversation with you is their way of checking out the guy open carrying.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
Them having a nice conversation with you is their way of checking out the guy open carrying.
This is correct. Investigative techniques.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
most of the sheriff by me know me, they have been serving my community for many years and watched me grow up so to speak. they know my views and know i know the laws. they aslo know i do not go around breaking the law. there have been a few times people call in when im out and about, they usually come and let me know some concerned old lady called in and they have to file a report and what not. never have i been treated like mr deffert. they are always really nice and i understand they have to investigate any calls they get sent on. their operators are trained in how to handle "man with a gun" calls but sometimes they still get dispatched. they respect my rights and i in turn am forthcoming with information. granted i know i am not obligated to give any information but my relationship with the LEO's here have been a positive one and a respectful one so if it gets them o their way quicker to give them my id and let them copy down some numbers and my name for their report. by all means. this is the choice i make and do not wish to be ridiculed for co-operating with law enforcement. outside of my community where i do not know the deputies or leo's i put on the normal routine

am i being detained?
no?
have a good day. walk away

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:16:04 AM by SD40VE »

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »

not to be a dbag and pull the race card. but it is possible because i am white they treat me different. i have been involved with traffic stops where i have been treated 100% different than my african american friends by the same cop, people say race isnt an issue but i have experiences that say otherwise

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »
most of the sheriff by me know me, they have been serving my community for many years and watched me grow up so to speak. they know my views and know i know the laws. they aslo know i do not go around breaking the law. there have been a few times people call in when im out and about, they usually come and let me know some concerned old lady called in and they have to file a report and what not. never have i been treated like mr deffert. they are always really nice and i understand they have to investigate any calls they get sent on. their operators are trained in how to handle "man with a gun" calls but sometimes they still get dispatched. they respect my rights and i in turn am forthcoming with information. granted i know i am not obligated to give any information but my relationship with the LEO's here have been a positive one and a respectful one so if it gets them o their way quicker to give them my id and let them copy down some numbers and my name for their report. by all means. this is the choice i make and do not wish to be ridiculed for co-operating with law enforcement. outside of my community where i do not know the deputies or leo's i put on the normal routine

am i being detained?
no?
have a good day. walk away

So a database of encounters with you has been established? For what purpose?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »

Or Cmdr-Iceman.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »
So a database of encounters with you has been established? For what purpose?

honestly the occurances are so spaced apart i dont see it having any negative impact on me. but you are right, they stock pile the encounters and can use it against me in the future. i dont see any of the sheriffs by me becoming dbags over night, but could cause issues outside of my area. "we see here you have been contacted by the macomb county sheriff over a dozen times for carrying your firearm" although there really isnt anything they can do about it without violating my rights as i do not break any laws when i lawfully carry my pistol.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
honestly the occurances are so spaced apart i dont see it having any negative impact on me. but you are right, they stock pile the encounters and can use it against me in the future. i dont see any of the sheriffs by me becoming dbags over night, but could cause issues outside of my area. "we see here you have been contacted by the macomb county sheriff over a dozen times for carrying your firearm" although there really isnt anything they can do about it without violating my rights as i do not break any laws when i lawfully carry my pistol.
"The police have responded to over a dozen complaints about the subject."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:29:32 PM by CV67PAT »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »
most of the sheriff by me know me, they have been serving my community for many years and watched me grow up so to speak. they know my views and know i know the laws. they aslo know i do not go around breaking the law.

Doesn't mean this couldn't happen to you one day.  I know this happened in Texas, but the same principle applies to all law enforcement IMO.

The officers took cover behind their car doors, weapons drawn and pointed at them, demanding all three get facedown on the ground. Joey asked if they were being detained and was answered with another demand to get face down. One of the responding officers, Rusty Stewart, then called Joey by name and demanded he get down. They had been friends for years; he knew who Joey was and knew he was not a threat.

http://www.dontcomply.com/stand-with-joey-posey-he-stood-for-us-now-its-our-turn/

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »
when my rights get violated i will seek legal council. until then i have to assume the police know the laws. the fact that they may or may not do something will not change how i choose to carry my firearms.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
when my rights get violated i will seek legal council. until then i have to assume the police know the laws. the fact that they may or may not do something will not change how i choose to carry my firearms.
Nobody is questioning how you carry your firearms.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
Nobody is questioning how you carry your firearms.

never said you were sir. never said anyone was, just stating that police reactions will not prevent me from proudly open carrying my sidearm
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:04:27 PM by SD40VE »