Author Topic: OC and hunting on state land?  (Read 7185 times)

Offline dirtauger

OC and hunting on state land?
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
Can we open carry when bow hunting on state land?
I would like to carry a bear gun.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
Re: OC and hunting on state land?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »
I actually had a great conversation with a DNR officer in regards to this about 2 weeks ago. He basicly stated , Yes you can. However you cannot what he called "Double Hunt" which I think he may be incorrect. In that while your bowhunting you can only use your bow for the purpose of hunting and not your firearm? In other words if your deer hunting with a bow you can not take small game at the same time with your firearm. I found this very intersting. I asked why and for him to cite the law but he could not. He basicly stated you can carry a sidearm while bow hunting. I am investigating this further as I do not understand the concept. If you have both a small game and a archery license why would'nt you be able to hunt with both weapons? IE firearm for small game and bow for deer...
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline KelticKowboy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »
On page 28 of the Michigan Hunting & Trapping Guide 2009 http://www.statehuntandfishregs.com/MI/ It state "During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firarm while bow hunting deer."  If I find the exact law stating this I will post it.
KK

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »
On this note, my fiancee and I often walk through the woods.  Assuming the woods are state land, what minimum hunting license must I carry to legally OC in the woods for the purpose of self-protection from wild-life if attacked? (Coyote, Bear, etc.)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline KelticKowboy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »
On this note, my fiancee and I often walk through the woods.  Assuming the woods are state land, what minimum hunting license must I carry to legally OC in the woods for the purpose of self-protection from wild-life if attacked? (Coyote, Bear, etc.)

On page 28 of the Michigan Hunting & Trapping Guide 2009 http://www.statehuntandfishregs.com/MI/ it states "A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engage in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."
KK

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Ok in direct response to your question to bow hunting. If you have a CPL you can carry a firearm. Which I should have clearly stated in my previous post. As this is a examption. However if you do not have a cpl you can not carry a firearm while bow hunting regardless if it is OC or CC.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »
and again you can not use the firearm to take game.

Offline skunkworks

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »
I have carried for years while bowhunting, but I have a CPL.
I don't know why on earth I would want to 'double hunt' and scare away that monster buck with the crack of a .22 pistol (or whatever) in an attempt to take game.  At first the regs seem silly, but practically speaking, just get a CPL and keep quiet in the tree.  I'll be happier not hearing you or seeing your blaze orange.
That said, I think most of us have at one time or another have lobbed an arrow at a pesky squirrel.

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
I have carried for years while bowhunting, but I have a CPL.
I don't know why on earth I would want to 'double hunt' and scare away that monster buck with the crack of a .22 pistol (or whatever) in an attempt to take game.  At first the regs seem silly, but practically speaking, just get a CPL and keep quiet in the tree.  I'll be happier not hearing you or seeing your blaze orange.
That said, I think most of us have at one time or another have lobbed an arrow at a pesky squirrel.

I've thought about bringing a slingshot with me for just such "pesky squirrels"... which probably would be considered illegal. I've often thought that I see more squirrel while deer hunting than I ever do hunting squirrel, almost like they can read your mind.  But I digress.

I don't think there would be a problem, though, if I were sitting in a treestand and chose to use my revolver in 357mag and not a bow I have with me.  But this would only be applicable during the firearm season, not the bow season.  If I chose to use my revolver during the Bow Season (not the firearm Season), I would  have illegally taken game... not a good thing.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline red88gt

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »

On page 28 of the Michigan Hunting & Trapping Guide 2009 http://www.statehuntandfishregs.com/MI/ it states "A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engage in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."
Would this include the recreational sport of mountain biking? I will be in the copper harbor area for two weeks and we will run across bears at times.