Author Topic: OCing with a loaded weapon  (Read 6634 times)

IrishCarBomb

OCing with a loaded weapon
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:17:06 AM »
Is Michigan much like California where you pistol must be unloaded? Does a CPL make any difference?

Offline Bronson

Re: OCing with a loaded weapon
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:36:56 AM »
No and no.

There are no restrictions in MI on carrying your firearm loaded, type of ammunition, or condition of carry (cocked & locked, unchambered, chambered with hammer decocked, retention holster, etc).  I carry a full sized 1911 loaded in magazine and chamber with Corbon DPX, in the cocked and locked configuration.  Having a CPL changes nothing in this regard.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

IrishCarBomb

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »
Good, because I have been open carrying for a few weeks now with my HK USP with FMJ and Hydrashock alternating rounds.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Good, because I have been open carrying for a few weeks now with my HK USP with FMJ and Hydrashock alternating rounds.

If you do not understand the law in regards to OC you probably should not OC. IMO Until you are fully aware and totally understand the all carry laws.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:51:08 PM »

Personally I would not recommend alternating rounds.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:08:56 AM »

If you do not understand the law in regards to OC you probably should not OC. IMO Until you are fully aware and totally understand the all carry laws.

Why? It's his right. What difference does it make to know the laws? Just do it and get some "on the job training".
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »

Why? It's his right. What difference does it make to know the laws? Just do it and get some "on the job training".

I would guess he is just concerned that without knowing the law he might get himself jammed up by OCing some place that is unlawful and lose all his gun rights??
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:10:06 PM »
well losing his gun rights would be the minimal outcome. As stated getting jammed up with the court system with crimanal charges would probably but a major concern. Some of our "OC Guru's within this very forum have been jammed even even though they thought they new the laws.

IrishCarBomb

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
OK look. To clear things up, I know the law doesn't state anything about ammo. I already know that. I also knew that CA's laws did. However, I did want clarification. Why shouldn't I alternate rounds? It makes perfect sense to. FMJ to break through anything that might be in the way, then a Hydrashock follow up. I think if you lived in a bad neighborhood like I did it makes even better sense. I learned that trick from SF guys when I was deployed because if they get stopped they have an FMJ to blow through the door and then HS to blow through the bad guy.

IrishCarBomb

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 05:03:28 PM »
Not to mention since I did follow the law correctly, I should be ok wardog. Thank you for your concern though sir, better to be safe than sorry right?

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
Only reason I commented is do to the economy. As I know many people cannot afford to get jammed up. Pretty much if you cannot afford an attorney , I would not recommend OCing. my 2 cents.

IrishCarBomb

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 04:03:13 PM »
I am going to take that the nicest way possible. Because, from what I just read that could be misconstrued for calling me poor or saying that only wealthy people should carry. Each of those being wrong. So I am just going to leave that one alone.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »
One of the main concerns with FMJ is over penetration, remember most of your shots probably won't be on target, those that aren't are liabilities.  Obviously, JHP's have the potential, but with FMJ's most agree the chances of OP is slightly worse.  Carry however you want, I won't criticize, just offering another pov :)