Author Topic: Gun shop made error on my RI-060  (Read 5225 times)

Offline RCanton

• MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • First Name (Displayed): RCanton
Gun shop made error on my RI-060
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »
I received a call from the gun store today, indicating to me that they screwed up the RI-060 form for my Kahr CM9 I picked up last week. They said they had put in the model number instead of the serial number. I had to make a trip out to the gun store to pick up a revised RI-060 and I immediately dropped it off at my pd's record's bureau. Thankfully, it didn't appear like the pd had sent the info to MSP yet (the very nice record's lady had the incorrect form with her). Also, thank God it was only a model number and not someone else's pistol that was registered in my name..yikes! The gun store was apologetic and gave me a free bag of range ammo. A lesson from this all is: verify your own serial numbers with the Pistol Sales Record form.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
Re: Gun shop made error on my RI-060
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
thats typically what i do when purchasing handgun or long guns from a store, always make sure the info is correct to the firearm you are buying before leaving the store. at least you got some range ammo for the trouble

Offline RCanton

• MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • First Name (Displayed): RCanton
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »
Brad, you better bet I'll be doing this from now on!!!!

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »
Glad they caught it and the police still had the form!

I usually double check everything and I know many shops have another employee double check also.  Can't have too many proof readers on a form like that!

Say!  I wonder what kind of proof reading they do in Lansing to make sure everything gets entered properly into the database???    :-\    It has always bugged me that there is no return information to the gun owner to confirm registration.   :(

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:39:52 AM »
Every gun ive bought had a second employee verify, and then had me verify as well
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
I had this happen at Williams Gun Sight a few years back. I was in the area so I went in to "look" and found a gun I liked and bought it. I didn't double check the paper work and got all the way home before discovering that they wrote the wrong caliber on the RI-60. So I got to drive an hour each way so that it could be redone.

Expensive lesson learned always check the paper work before leaving.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
I had this happen at Williams Gun Sight a few years back. I was in the area so I went in to "look" and found a gun I liked and bought it. I didn't double check the paper work and got all the way home before discovering that they wrote the wrong caliber on the RI-60. So I got to drive an hour each way so that it could be redone.

Expensive lesson learned always check the paper work before leaving.

never hurts to verify before leaving the LGS. i have been doing that for years now