Author Topic: Mt. Pleasant school goes into lockdown over Airsoft pistol  (Read 6282 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Mt. Pleasant school goes into lockdown over Airsoft pistol
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
Shortly before 11 a.m. Tuesday morning, Renaissance Public School Academy was placed on lockdown briefly when police were called to investigate a report of a student showing a gun to a classmate. The fourth-grader had brought an Airsoft gun to school, and when another student reported it, the gun was taken from the student and secured in the school office. Principal Lisa Bergman said at no time were students in danger, but some parents opted to pick up their children and take them home early. Although the gun was determined to not be a threat, and the 10-year-old student didn’t brandish the weapon or make any threats, the sheriff said they take such incidents seriously, and a report will be sent to the County Prosecutor for review.

http://www.themorningsun.com/general-news/20140204/gun-reported-at-isabella-school

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
Sent to the prosecutor? For what crime? Was a crime committed here?

MCL 750.237a? Can we call an airsoft a "weapon"?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Mt. Pleasant school goes into lockdown over Airsoft pistol
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »
MIPOT, Minor In Possession Of Toy.  ::)
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:54:01 AM »
Sent to the prosecutor? For what crime? Was a crime committed here?

MCL 750.237a? Can we call an airsoft a "weapon"?

Possible. I am not sure of the statute I read but it had something to do with a firearm being anything using expanding gas (gunpowder), compressed air, or electric device. Paintball guns for example are technically "firearms" because they use compressed gas to propel the paintball. Airsoft guns generally use either compressed gas or an electric device.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:17:35 AM »
All the ones I have seen even with electronic gearboxes pull back a spring and are propelled by a spring piston system.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »
Possible. I am not sure of the statute I read but it had something to do with a firearm being anything using expanding gas (gunpowder), compressed air, or electric device. Paintball guns for example are technically "firearms" because they use compressed gas to propel the paintball. Airsoft guns generally use either compressed gas or an electric device.

Under MI law is has to have a bore > .17" or rifling to be a "firearm". So I suppose a 6mm BB would qualify......
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:41:53 AM »
Under MI law is has to have a bore > .17" or rifling to be a "firearm". So I suppose a 6mm BB would qualify......
Nope, you know that airsoft guns are not classified as firearms, nor regulated by MI as such.

And my Airsoft is spring loaded.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
yeah the student should only face punishment from school and school board for this. anything resembling a weapon could be grounds for expulsion, lots of kids get in trouble for airsoft guns. many even modify them to get rid of the "blaze orange" barrel. my neighbors son did that. he knows i OC. i brought the poiunt up to him that someone who doesnt know its a toy because you painted the orange barrel will end up shooting you thinking it is real and you pose a serious threat. he ended up buying another one and leaving the orange barrel visible this time

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »
Good idea, having parents showing up in the middle of a "crisis" to take their children home.  And yes i realize this was an incredible over reaction on the schools part, but in a real emergency, I'm sure the police would love additional undefined people running around.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »
A nearby Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Police officer was first to arrive at the school, which was in lockdown at roughly the same time parents were arriving to pick up children from a pre-school program.

That officer determined that it was an Airsoft gun, which had an orange cap on the barrel to indicate is is not a real firearm, the sheriff said.

Nobody else in the school could determine that it had an orange cap on the barrel thus indicating it was not a real firearm?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
Nobody else in the school could determine that it had an orange cap on the barrel thus indicating it was not a real firearm?

its probably S.O.P to call the popo when anything that looks like a weapon or could possibly be used as a weapon is found on school grounds.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »
Kids get suspended for having guns and ammo magazine.  The schools are just nucken futs.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
Kids get suspended for having guns and ammo magazine.

Did that really happen somewhere? Google isn't showing me anything.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
yeah idk about that one i was reading guns and ammo in highschool and never had any issues

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
Did that really happen somewhere? Google isn't showing me anything.

A friend of mine in jr high used to be really big into guns.  And he would bring in gun magazines to read during class downtime.  Teachers used to give him hell about it and tell him he can not read that in the classrooms.  Then it turned into, he isn't allowed to read them during lunch, to he isn't allowed to bring them into the school period.

Some teachers weren't bothered by it, and he would read them anyways in those classes until the administration found out that he was still bringing in gun related reading material.  They were afraid that because he read so much into guns that he might start bringing guns in and shoot people.  He then disappeared for a week and when he came back he never brought in another gun magazine.  He said he didn't get suspended, but I'm pretty sure he did with all the crap the school had given him over his magazines.

He was one of my friends that I spoke with every day and I had a couple classes with him.  Sometimes one of our teachers would even say they wanted to look into his backpack to make sure he wasn't bringing those magazines in.  And this was in like......early mid 90s.