Author Topic: youtube videos about OC and LEO's  (Read 12969 times)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
youtube videos about OC and LEO's
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
i got bored at work, im sure we all have. i decided to check out some vids from OC in michigan....

one thing i notice is many people have the runs of the mouth. they sit there and try to debate laws with cops while they slowly pry info from the person. it also seems alot go out planning to have an encounter, one such guy even had a police band scanner and heard the initial dispatch from the cops.

i dont really think that a police scanner is nessesary. i wouldnt normally listen to a police scanner. i carry and conduct my business as i would normally.

if any of the people in the below vids are members here i mean no disrespect. nor am i questioning the way you choose to openly carry your firearms. this is just an observation i made while watching alot of videos

bad form imho. we try to project we are normal people conducting our lives in our normal ways. something tells me alot of those vids are made for cinematics and entertainment

this last one seems like they almost were looking for the cops
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:08:33 PM by SD40VE »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
I agree. Some people go out "looking" for an encounter with the cops. I too believe it sends a bad message.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
Re: youtube videos about OC and LEO's
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
I agree. Some people go out "looking" for an encounter with the cops. I too believe it sends a bad message.

yes phil, i dont go looking to get an encounter by the police. only time i have ever had a confrontation with the police was around my house because apparently my neighbors are anti-firearm and like to call on me. one thing i also notice, most of the vids have people carrying the types of firearms we do not speak of carrying openly here. that usually adds to the public calling in.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
It is my right to lecture a cop about the law while open carrying a bazooka running down the street naked covered in green jello reading playboy magazine.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
It is my right to lecture a cop about the law while open carrying a bazooka running down the street naked covered in green jello reading playboy magazine.

wouldnt bazooka be class 4? better have your tax stamp!!!!

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »
wouldnt bazooka be class 4? better have your tax stamp!!!!

When you have a bazooka you can do anything you want.  NOW WHO WANTS JELLO?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »
I didn't watch these particular videos. I've seen enough of them. And while I realize that I am making a generalization of the encounters, my observation is that the vast majority are seeking the encounter that they are filming. They are using a particular kind of "bait" to create the encounter. Then they jabber away.

We have a right to remain silent and not answer any questions without an attorney present. Exercise it and STFU!

Police officers are trained to engage in conversation as an interviewing technique. They are not chit chatting for fun. It is a part of their job. And anything a person says leads to the next question and then the next. And before long reasonable suspicion becomes probable cause.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:56 AM »

This fellow was not trolling for an encounter. I know the lawyer who took this case and I am pretty sure the cops are going to have to pay dearly on this one.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »
yep, romulous messed up. hit em hard in the pocketbook

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »

This fellow was not trolling for an encounter. I know the lawyer who took this case and I am pretty sure the cops are going to have to pay dearly on this one.
He wasn't filming the encounter either. This may very well become the watershed case that all of us law abiding citizens need.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »

He wasn't filming the encounter either. This may very well become the watershed case that all of us law abiding citizens need.

Allegedly he was recording but the thugs ganked his recording equipment.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »
i found this article interesting about recording police.

http://gizmodo.com/5900680/7-rules-for-recording-police

i like the line " i am not interfereing with your job, i am simply exercising my 1st amendment right" if you say that they should not be able to make you shut it off, also it seems to be good practice to annouce you are recording since michigan is one of the 12 states that you must let the cops know they are being recorded

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
i found this article interesting about recording police.

http://gizmodo.com/5900680/7-rules-for-recording-police

i like the line " i am not interfereing with your job, i am simply exercising my 1st amendment right" if you say that they should not be able to make you shut it off, also it seems to be good practice to annouce you are recording since michigan is one of the 12 states that you must let the cops know they are being recorded

No, actually, it isn't. Michigan is a single party state, the MI Court if Appeals has ruled.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:55:25 AM by TheQ »

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
Cite for previous post:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/michigan-recording-law

Michigan law makes it a crime to "use[] any device to eavesdrop upon [a] conversation without the consent of all parties."  Mich. Comp. Laws ยง 750.539c.  This looks like an "all party consent" law, but one Michigan Court has ruled that a participant in a private conversation may record it without violating the statute because the statutory term "eavesdrop" refers only to overhearing or recording the private conversations of others.  See Sullivan v. Gray, 342 N.W. 2d 58, 60-61 (Mich. Ct. App. 1982).

750.539c Eavesdropping upon private conversation.

Sec. 539c.

Any person who is present or who is not present during a private conversation and who wilfully uses any device to eavesdrop upon the conversation without the consent of all parties thereto, or who knowingly aids, employs or procures another person to do the same in violation of this section, is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

Thus the courts have ruled it doesn't apply if you are a party to the conversation.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/1982593117MichApp476_1539.xml/SULLIVAN%20v.%20GRAY

MCL 750.539a(2); MSA 28.807(1)(2) expressly defines the term "eavesdrop":

"`Eavesdrop' or `eavesdropping' means to overhear, record, amplify or transmit any part of the private discourse of others without the permission of all persons engaged in the discourse. Neither this definition or any other provision of this act shall modify or affect any law or regulation concerning interception, divulgence or recording of messages transmitted by communications common carriers."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:44:45 AM by TheQ »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
michigan is one of the 12 states that you must let the cops know they are being recorded

No, it's not.  I see Phil has already pointed this out to you.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:22 PM »
that article must be outdated then because it listed michigan on the list that says you must disclose the use of AV recording

"Twelve states-California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington-require the consent of all parties for you to record a conversation."

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
that article must be outdated then because it listed michigan on the list that says you must disclose the use of AV recording

"Twelve states-California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington-require the consent of all parties for you to record a conversation."

It's not outdated, it was simply incorrect when it was written in 2012.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
on another note phil, the vid from romulus is up on MGO and they were asking about if anyone knew the guy or had assisted in helping him find legal help

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?120387-Michigan-OCer-Arrested

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
on another note phil, the vid from romulus is up on MGO and they were asking about if anyone knew the guy or had assisted in helping him find legal help

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?120387-Michigan-OCer-Arrested

That's not MGO, that's OCDO.  I avoid posting there when possible ;)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 02:16:07 PM »
ocdo, mgo, they all look the same to me lol except moc ofc

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
Slightly OT, but here's a story of a FL cop arresting a woman for a FELONY for recording him.  Problem is, it's not against the law.  Lawsuit time now.

Even two-party states like Florida only apply to non-LEO encounters as the courts have ruled that LEOs have no expectation of privacy in their encounters with the public.

http://www.local10.com/news/woman-who-recorded-traffic-stop-spends-night-in-jail/24532912
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/18/single-mom-spends-night-in-jail-after-cop-accuses-her-of-committing-a-felony-during-simple-traffic-stop-except-she-didnt/

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
And of course, the cop bragging that he knew the law better than her.  Felony for recording a cop. 

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »

That's not MGO, that's OCDO.  I avoid posting there when possible ;)
So do I. :o)

Offline casper

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
Why post these videos ? All it does is ramp us up. It's not like anyone is going to do anything about it anyway, right ? Ok, you can prove the police are knowingly breaking the law and don't care, so what ? If your not going to do anything to change it then don't post it. Suing doesn't seem to work and we shouldn't have to sue to get them to obey the law anyway. In the mean time we'll just piss and moan about it and hope it gets better. Please Mr. police man let me exercise my rights. What's it going to take to wake up and take our constitution back people ? This is still the U.S.A. isn't it ? Sorry I had to rant. This what ever, I don't care, what are you gonna do about it attitude these officers have is pure BS!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:14:24 PM by casper »

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
And of course, the cop bragging that he knew the law better than her.  Felony for recording a cop. 
I uploaded this one too..  :rotfl: