Author Topic: Florida Carry  (Read 12810 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Florida Carry
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
Open Carried at:

Mapco gas station and Holiday Inn in Chattanooga, TN
Olive Garden in Valdosta, GA.
Some random rest area in Georgia.

Kept it very concealed in Florida, especially in Lake Buena Vista.  ;)

No issues the whole trip.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
Re: Florida Carry
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »

Kept it very concealed in Florida, especially in Lake Buena Vista.  ;)

Smart.  Florida is not friendly for OC.

Did you see me waving at you??   Just leaving Downtown Disney now. No carry at all for me this trip.   Hopping on a cruise ship Saturday and no place to leave em. 

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »
If by not friendly you mean illegal, yes.

I'm already back in Michigan. Our laws really aren't that bad.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »
If by not friendly you mean illegal, yes.

I'm already back in Michigan. Our laws really aren't that bad.

Oops, that must have been someone else I was waving at.   ;D

Illegal is more direct .....  FL has been ahead of the pack for 2A but behind on OC ..... MI laws still need improving but it is nice not to worry about accidentally exposing your gun .... I travel to TX upon occasion and there it is even illegal to print.  Sigh.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:18:36 AM »
I travel to TX upon occasion and there it is even illegal to print.  Sigh.

I travel to Texas once a year to 4WD in the SW desert.  It is not illegal to print in Texas.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
I travel to Texas once a year to 4WD in the SW desert.  It is not illegal to print in Texas.

Aiieeeeedeiiieeee.  That's what I get for listening to my silly friends instead of reading the law. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »

Aiieeeeedeiiieeee.  That's what I get for listening to my silly friends instead of reading the law.

Your friends aren't law enforcement officers, are they?   ;D

There is no law against "printing."  You can even bend over or have the wind catch your jacket and accidentally expose your gun.  That's not illegal, either.  The law states that you cannot intentionally show it.  So accidentally showing it is okay.  Intentionally opening your coat to expose your gun as a threat to someone else is not okay.

Here is the law:

"A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder’s person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place."

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
Isn't that a new change that came about just in the past few years?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
Isn't that a new change that came about just in the past few years?

I'm going to answer, "no."  The law was "clarified," but no change of actual legality occurred.  It was always legal to "print."  However, some people looked at the old wording/definition in law of what "concealed" meant (is your gun openly visible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person) and the wording of the law "intentionally fails to conceal the handgun" and thought that might mean printing.  Even some CHL instructors, through an abundance of caution, warned students that some cop may try to use that against you, just like they are selectively arresting people now for "carrying guns in a manner calculated to cause alarm", so recommended to avoid printing.  But it was never illegal. 

The legislature merely clarified the meaning to people who had a hard time with the English language.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
Is this new thread about Florida or Texas?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »

It started with Florida and morphed to TX...it actually started in the Experience thread until I split it.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »

Yes.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
Printing is illegal in Illinois.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
Printing is illegal in Illinois.

With all the different laws, interpretations, and word of mouth it is good to put it out here to keep reminding us.  I'm happy that MI is OC so we don't have to worry if we are printing or if we are not totally concealed or OC.    Even though we still need to worry about what brandishing means.  Sigh..

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »
With all the different laws, interpretations, and word of mouth it is good to put it out here to keep reminding us.  I'm happy that MI is OC so we don't have to worry if we are printing or if we are not totally concealed or OC.    Even though we still need to worry about what brandishing means.  Sigh..
We do? How's that?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 09:49:55 PM »
We do? How's that?

Okay, we don't have to but I worry about brandishing.  Is brandishing defined in Michigan law?  Has it been settled in case law?  Do I know what a jury may decide it means when I am on trial?? 

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »
Okay, we don't have to but I worry about brandishing.  Is brandishing defined in Michigan law?  Has it been settled in case law?  Do I know what a jury may decide it means when I am on trial??
Are you really that worried about brandishing???

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »
Is brandishing defined in Michigan law?  Has it been settled in case law?  Do I know what a jury may decide it means when I am on trial??

No.  No.  No.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Florida Carry
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
RE Brandishing: Johnson and Dillion bills being heard in committee next Thursday. Stay tubed in our email updates...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
RE Brandishing: Johnson and Dillion bills being heard in committee next Thursday. Stay tubed in our email updates...
Are those the ones that make it not brandishing so long as it's in a holster or on a sling?