Author Topic: SB 789  (Read 15306 times)

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
Re: SB 789
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2015, 05:51:28 PM »
She's dead, Jim

From my point of view, the governor just did us (gun owners) a BIG favor.
This bill started out with several good ideas and would have been a giant step forward but was changed to a big loss for all of us.
We NEED to quit trying to solve every problem with just one bill and start putting bills on his desk that only deal with ONE issue at a time.

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2015, 09:06:37 PM »
What is a pocket veto?

A pocket veto allows an official to effectively veto a bill by not taking any action on it.   In Michigan, the governor has 14 days to sign a bill. If he does not sign it, it automatically becomes law. However, if the legislature adjourns for the year before those 14 days are up, not signing the bill results in a pocket veto.  And since the old legislature no longer exists, they cannot override it with a vote, either active veto or pocket veto.   

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2015, 04:43:28 AM »
Looks like the nerd did it again.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150115/governor-s-veto-denies-victims-of-domestic-abuse-and-stalking-added-protections

After getting Sen Green to back his BS agenda, he turns on us. Come the time for voting on tricky Rick's tax increase I plan to vote no after this bait and switch BS.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
A pocket veto allows an official to effectively veto a bill by not taking any action on it.   In Michigan, the governor has 14 days to sign a bill. If he does not sign it, it automatically becomes law. However, if the legislature adjourns for the year before those 14 days are up, not signing the bill results in a pocket veto.  And since the old legislature no longer exists, they cannot override it with a vote, either active veto or pocket veto.

Which is why the Repugnant Party leadership seems to like passing gun bills through the legislature in mid-late December during Snyder's tenure.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
looks like there is a need to get the folks who voted against him as governor and those he has chosen to royally P.O. to sign a recall.

It is only 790K signatures in 60 days (I believe 60 days is the required time limit).

Now before folks laugh, I am still in the process of finding out if I voted (As I cast no ballot due to NOT receiving the ballot material ever even though requested) as there was some irregularities (that and Saginaw is known to have the dead vote at times). I can't sign as I not residing in Michigan (have intent to return which is why I can vote at all).

There is a rather large amount of folks who are not happy with his current actions and progressive political associates. That combined with those who either hold a more conservative position or completely don't want him in office (card carrying democrats, union groups, and the like) IF organized (yes it is herding cats, but even cats will work together IF they see a personal reason or goal) could get the required 790K signatures done in time. You have 1.4 million who voted against just in the democrat candidate, that pooled with those of the conservative groups Snyder just screwed could send a rather nasty message to not only Snyder and Co. but also nationally to all political persons that they can be held accountable.
Tuebor Libertatus

« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »
I'm all for recalling the governor if there's a way to keep Mark Hamilton Schauer from running to replace him. 
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »

I'm all for recalling the governor if there's a way to keep Mark Hamilton Schauer from running to replace him.

I would take Schaurer over Snyder for reasons I've explained in past MOC news articles.

That being said, the chances of recalling Snyder are zilch.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:17 PM »

That being said, the chances of recalling Snyder are zilch.

Or, in other words, just slightly higher than the chances of inaugurating Schauer.