Author Topic: Hello from Cadillac  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Tmmorton

• First Name (Displayed): Tim Morton
Hello from Cadillac
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:32 AM »
Hello I am from Cadillac and am look forward to learning and interacting with the members of this forum.  Having spent 2 years in Wyoming (the state not the city) I was enlightened as to what we were entitled to by the 2nd amendment, and why we should actively exercise those rights. I have recently added a handgun back into my firearm collection and am reviewing all the laws in relation to OC right now since I don't yet have a CPL.  I plan on taking the concealed carry course soon in order to have that option but I want to know my options for OC as well. 

Any advice out there for people like me who want to OC to "prove a point" and to raise awareness to those who think its illegal in Michigan?  I am one of those that hate that the majority of people (and sometimes police) think it is illegal to walk down a public street with a gun in a holster, and I would like to be a part of changing that. 

Any advice, encouragement and/or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Morton

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Hello from Cadillac
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »
Welcome sir!

Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. We've probably heard them before, but we're here to help and we're happy to answer them again.

I recommend you start by viewing these links:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.0.html

www.miopencarry.org/start

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »
Also, sign up for our email updates for notifications of events in your area. I highly recommend attending one of our seminars.

www.miopencarry.org/updates

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Hello from Cadillac
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »
I'd like to echo the links bigt recommended and also say welcome -- from Lansing. I was just in the Cadillac area this weekend. Stopped by G&D for pizza. I CC'd -- as I often do in the winter under my coat, but have OC'd in G&D's before (I have a CPL as required by law since they are licensed to sell liquor).

Reg Carr, our northern MI coordinator may be along soon to say hi. If not, you can email him at RCarr@miopencarry.org

Stay informed about events in your area by signing up for our mailing list at http://miopencarry.org/updates

Welcome!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »
welcome to the site. if there is anything i can help please feel free to ask.

we are planning a OC dinner at big boy in tawas march 15th, i know its a bit away from cadillac but if you dont mind the travel we would love to see you. i will also be working with reg to get some things going up that way this spring and summer as well.
also there is a event in cadillac on 3/1/2014

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3725.0.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:47:31 PM by SD40VE »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
Any advice out there for people like me who want to OC to "prove a point" and to raise awareness to those who think its illegal in Michigan?

My advice is just to open carry in your normal, everyday life without trying to draw attention to yourself.  Just go about your business as normal, as if you weren't wearing a gun (but don't lose your situational awareness).  Then people will see you as a regular, everyday normal person just like them who simply chooses to open carry, not some "freak" activist gun-nut.  They will get that it is legal without you wearing a Desert Eagle in a thigh-holster and an AR-15 slung over your back (even though all that is legal, too).

Welcome from Okemos. :)

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »
welcome from Kentwood

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
Welcome Tim!
Hope to see you at the Cadillac dinner. (I responded to you on another post )
We can have lots of discussion on OC. So far it looks like a low turnout. Bring your friends!
North East Michigan Coordinator