Author Topic: BREAKING: Facebook Considering Banning Gun Related Pages  (Read 5831 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
BREAKING: Facebook Considering Banning Gun Related Pages
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »

Facebook may announce company policy changes for gun-related pages in the coming weeks, VentureBeat has learned.

The social network has been under pressure from the powerful Mayors Against Illegal Guns and the Moms Demand Action civic group to ban gun-themed fan pages on the site.

Sources close to the conversations told VentureBeat, “Talks are progressing. The discussions are ongoing; there have been positive developments.”

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/03/facebook-to-announce-policy-changes-on-gun-themed-pages-exclusive/

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: BREAKING: Facebook Considering Banning Gun Related Pages
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of people who don't know what they're talking about. Surprise surprise. Both the subjects of the article and the writer. They just can't get it through their head that you can't buy firearms on FB, and not because it's against policy, but because FB is not a freaking ecom site.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
I would love a reply as... "blow it out your asses, I'm rich BEOTCH"

Offline bchapman833

• First Name (Displayed): Ben
BREAKING: Facebook Considering Banning Gun Related Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »
Wouldn't this fall under freedom of speech?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
No.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »
Wouldn't this fall under freedom of speech?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.

Facebook is under no obligation to provide you a medium for your freedom of speech.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
The Bill of Rights only apply to protections from the government.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline FatMan

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
My intention is NOT to berate or belittle the poster who asked "Wouldn't this fall under freedom of speech?" It is a sad commentary on the education system and our society at large that our Bill of Rights is so poorly understood. I have seen and heard similar comments on facebook and in overheard conversations out and about. It's sad.  :(   
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline bchapman833

• First Name (Displayed): Ben
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »
Guess I will have to see if I can find that article form a while ago where a kid made a joke about shooting up a school on FB and almost wound up in prison for it. I could have swore that it had to do with something about freedom of speech or something in that nature.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »
Having the right to say something is not the same thing as having the right to say something in a private place or on a private board.

I have the right to say I think everyone should open carry a long gun.  I don't have a right to say that here on the MOC forum.  MOC and facebook can make any rules they wish.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
wish we could find out when the next MDAGA meeting in michigan is :) have a OC lunch or dinner that day

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
They generally get together at a church in Lansing. From pics I've seen there are about 5-10 of them. I keep trolling their FB page now and then to see if they post info for another meeting.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »
OFC they pick a PFZ. because that will make them safe. until a bad guy who ignores the PFZ opens fire with a gatling gun thats backpack mounted!

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
Ummm...that not what MDA is saying.

Moms Demand Action Applauds Major Moves by Facebook, Instagram to Prevent Illegal Gun Sales on Their Sites
NEW POLICIES FOLLOW MOMS’ CAMPAIGN
Facebook announced today that the company and its popular photo-sharing subsidiary Instagram will take significant steps to block potentially illegal firearm sales through their platforms. For the first time, the sites will delete reported posts offering to buy or sell guns without background checks – a key indicator that users may be seeking to avoid the life-saving checks that bar minors, felons, the seriously mentally ill and other dangerous people from buying guns. The sites will also block users under the age of 18 from viewing reported private gun sales posts from individual sellers and any pages used primarily for private gun offers.

http://momsdemandaction.org/in-the-news/facebook-listened/

• Facebook will block all children (under 18) from viewing reported posts from individual gun sellers or gun pages where guns are sold or traded.
  • Facebook will allow users to report posts that may facilitate or promote potentially illegal gun activity.
  • Facebook will delete reported posts that indicate that the seller will not conduct a background check or that a buyer is seeking to avoid a background check.
  • Facebook will delete reported posts that indicate that a seller is willing to sell across state lines.
  • Facebook will continue to report to law enforcement any gun-related posts that may pose a threat to public safety.
  • Facebook will require private sellers who are reported for offering a gun for sale to acknowledge the relevant laws that apply to them – including that background checks may be required before completing a sale. These sellers will be blocked by Facebook from continuing to the site until they acknowledge this policy.
  • All Facebook Pages and groups must prominently state that sellers and buyers must comply with all applicable laws, including conducting a background check where required.
  • Facebook will take down reported pages and groups where guns are sold until the owner of the page acknowledges this policy and includes this information prominently at the top of the page. Facebook’s Help Center will remind sellers that they may conduct background checks for safety purposes even where not legally required.
  • When someone searches on Instagram for a hashtag related to gun offers (e.g. #guns4sale) they will be required to acknowledge the relevant laws that apply to them in this area before they see search results.
  • Facebook will provide public education ad space targeted at users interested in firearm-related content to ensure they know about the laws related to gun sales. Moms Demand Action and Mayors Against Illegal Guns will provide content for these ads.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:47:05 PM by gryphon »

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
since all my gun pages on FB are either shops or groups like MOC wont be an issue :) all my sales or purchasing is legal and follows the law