Author Topic: Latest law Grand Rapids is striking  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
Latest law Grand Rapids is striking
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »
City of Grand Rapids, MI is striking a law that banned people from being willfully annoying as it is not constitutional.  The change was recommended by City Attorney Catherine Mish.

http://www.myfoxny.com/Story/24881360/city-to-strike-ban-on-being-willfully-annoying

Offline Raggs

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Latest law Grand Rapids is striking
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
"City Attorney Catherine Mish has been scouring city code to find archaic rules."

Hey, Cathy, I got one for you!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
From the second article above:

"Mish has been scouring city code to find archaic rules, then advising the commission to get rid of them. But she has not proposed changing a 1960s-era ordinance that bans people from carrying guns in the city."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Latest law Grand Rapids is striking
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:51:15 PM »

From the second article above:

"Mish has been scouring city code to find archaic rules, then advising the commission to get rid of them. But she has not proposed changing a 1960s-era ordinance that bans people from carrying guns in the city."

She works for the Mayor, who would promptly fire her...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »
Mish graduated from Hillsdale.  I know they beat the Constitution into her.  They do to all students.  It's a requirement no matter what discipline you are enrolled in.  She is bringing shame on that great institution.   :(

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
The "Willful Annoying" ordinance needs to repealed to allow Mayor Hartwell to continue his willful annoying of bigt.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
As Heartwell was going thru the process of repealing the ordinance, he probably wished he could have charged Tom with it.

Hillsdale is a good institution, I spent quite a bit of time on their campus.  Not everyone who attends a college subscribes to the philosophies.  Thank goodness, because most colleges are bleeding heart liberal.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »
The "Willful Annoying" ordinance needs to repealed to allow Mayor Hartwell to continue his willful annoying of bigt.

+1 this is why its being repealed

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:22:57 AM »
LOL

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:23:45 AM »
As Heartwell was going thru the process of repealing the ordinance, he probably wished he could have charged Tom with it.

Thankfully he didn't. I would not have enjoyed having to shut up while my lawsuit worked it's course. I feel very sorry that Mr. Deffert is having to do that. He want's very badly to stand up against what happened to him, but it wouldn't help his case, so he doesn't. That's why we are standing up for him.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
thats the one crappy part about lawsuits. you have to bite your tongue for the duration. glad he has people working as his advocates and that we can be his voice to try to get his message out