Author Topic: Tell us about your bad CPL Class  (Read 17273 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Tell us about your bad CPL Class
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:28:34 AM »
Many CPL instructors in Michigan are sub-par.  Did you have one of them?  Tell us about it here.

Be sure to include:

1. Date you took the class.
2. Instructor's Name (Along with any assumed/business names)
3. What company (if any) the Instructor works for.
4. The name of the lawyer/law enforcement officer that taught the class.
5. How was the lawyer/LEO?
6. How was the instructor?
7. What was the worst part of the class?

Please be detailed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:18:44 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
Re: Tell us about your bad CPL Class
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
After being in the sand box for a couple years I let my CPL expire. (No reciprocity in the middle east FYI  ;D) I attended a CPL class this past Saturday at Advanced Ranges in Burton. Instructor was Jeff and I don't remember his last name. The legal was covered by the instructor. Legal part was good but I think it could have been a little more detailed. I.E. steps on what to do if one is involved in a shooting could have been more clear. This I believe was the "worst" part of the class but nothing I would call bad. There is not thread for good CPL classes so here I am hijacking, sorry Q.

The instructor was good and funny enough, a good deal of time was spent explaining open carry along with open carry in PFZ's with a CPL. WIN. Maybe this is a sign the word is getting out in to the main stream a little more. All of the people in the 10 person class never before heard of open carry and were further surprised that one must OC in PFZ's with a CPL. I mentioned MOC in the class. Hope to see some new users here...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:57:31 PM by ken243 »
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »
See this thread for Port City Pistols in Muskegon:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2392

Instructors provided inaccurate information and negative opinions about Open Carry.  You may wish to take your class elsewhere.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
Many CPL instructors in Michigan are sub-par.  Did you have one of them?  Tell us about it here.

Be sure to include:

1. Date you took the class.
2. Instructor's Name (Along with any assumed/business names)
4. The name of the lawyer/law enforcement officer that taught the class.
5. How was the lawyer/LEO?
6. How was the instructor?
7. What was the worse part of the class?

Please be detailed.

Guy didnt seem to think the constitution could override laws, he was quite anti OC

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Tell us about your bad CPL Class
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:03:30 PM »

Guy didnt seem to think the constitution could override laws, he was quite anti OC

Thank you for not including any if the requested info that you quoted...?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
*sigh* after being asked to post due to an experience this past weekend. i reluctantly post.

1. Date you took the class. july 19th 2014
2. Instructor's Name (Along with any assumed/business names) Rich Weir
4. The name of the lawyer/law enforcement officer that taught the class. there was none rich did that part as well
5. How was the lawyer/LEO? he was knowledgeable in the self defense laws. answered the many questions i asked of him
6. How was the instructor? he was a good instructor. he mentioned everything that my previous CPL class had mentioned. it was the nra class, he is nra certified
7. What was the worse part of the class? he was under the impression you cannot OC with a cpl, i showed him update 86 as well as the cc pfz law and the possession of a firearm law without a cpl stating with a cpl you are exempt. he seemed receptive and said he would look into it some more and took a copy of the 2 MCL's and update 86 for future classes. he thanked me for teaching him something he did not know

mikado/lincoln area up north by oscoda/harrisville
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:04:35 AM by SD40VE »

Offline rickbendix

• MOC Member
    • President
  • First Name (Displayed): Rick
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »
http://www.firearmsmichigan.com/about.aspx
My story, I took this guys class, Now I see he has no MI experience. Never mentioned OC. it was at the Firearms Exchange in Livonia. It was me and an older black lady about 58 yo. Some small talk revealed this lady bought a 9mm glock, not sure what model, at the urging of her son. She had never fire a gun before. She brought the pistol in, in a plastic grocery bag in her purse. She thought the class was mandatory to own the gun. We talked about how a revolver might be a better idea.  When she heard we will have range time, she asked if it was with "real bullets" He showed a movie on home defense and we took lunch. On the range, she went first. After showing her how to load her pistol, he said go ahead, aim and fire. She hit the target at 10 ft then he said fire again. This time the slide laid the top of her thumb wide open. At least she didn't panic. he ask me to watch the lane as he led her away to "get her a band aid" it probably needed stiches. They came back, he said my turn, I shot 50 shot in 5 mag changes and was done........He signed BOTH of our certificates.
The only thing that stops a bad guy...is a good guy...

Offline rickbendix

• MOC Member
    • President
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »
 He did instruct her on proper transport. Plastic grocery bag, in her purse = NO. Thanks for this site. I learned nothing from him, and knew I better do my own research. Again, thanks to all who have posted. I've learned bunches here!

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
http://www.firearmsmichigan.com/about.aspx
My story, I took this guys class, Now I see he has no MI experience. Never mentioned OC. it was at the Firearms Exchange in Livonia.

Instructors name?  Was it associated with FX, or was the instructor just renting the facility?

Offline rickbendix

• MOC Member
    • President
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
I took the class April this year. Bill Mowder. I'm pretty sure he rented the space. I found his flier at a little gun shop I go to. Moe's on Wayne Rd.