Author Topic: When open carrying, do you conceal spare mags?  (Read 13582 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
When open carrying, do you conceal spare mags?
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
Call it an open poll:  When you open carry, do you conceal spare magazines or openly display them with the pistol?

I usually open carry spare mags on in an OWB holster.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: When open carrying, do you conceal spare mags?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
My extra clips are usually in my pocket.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
When I conceal, my mags are concealed.  When I open carry, the mag is in its pouch not concealed.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »
When I conceal, my mags are concealed.  When I open carry, the mag is in its pouch not concealed.

Same.  Typical carry for me is a 1911 with 2 spare mags in a Fobus paddle.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:45:28 PM by Pond Scum »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
Depends on which gun I'm wearing.  I don't have a mag carrier for my Five-seveN.  I do for my .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
I use a blackhawk dual mah carrier on weak side. Usually put my shirt over it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »
I just switched my EDC to my Glock 17. I'm going to start OCing 2 spares in a Safariland Duty dual mag pouch.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
From xd to block.. Oh boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jeff

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 10:52:37 PM »
Depends on which gun I'm wearing.  I don't have a mag carrier for my Five-seveN.  I do for my .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

That's because there isn't a mag carrier made to date that can withstand all the awesome.

Offline Zeteo

• First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
My extra clips are usually in my pocket.

Are those hair clips? Fingernail clips? Paper clips?   :|>
No law ever prevented a crime.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »
Are those hair clips? Fingernail clips? Paper clips?   :|>
.45ACP clips  ::)
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »
I very rarely carry extra mags. 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »
I very rarely carry extra mags.
Read the article titled "Ammo: How Much Is Enough?"  You might rethink your position.  It can be found here in the Jan. 2014 issue of the MOC Newsletter:

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/publications/newsletter/MOC-Newsletter-3.pdf

If you just want to read the article and nothing else, you can also find it on Ammoland.  Please ignore the typesetting bastardization they did. 

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/02/ammo-how-much-is-enough-when-carrying-for-self-defense/

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: When open carrying, do you conceal spare mags?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 04:07:21 AM »
I just switched my EDC to my Glock 17. I'm going to start OCing 2 spares in a Safariland Duty dual mag pouch.

A fine EDC choice.

I have taken to carrying spare guns instead of mags.  It's just faster for me to go to a secondary, than reload. And it gives me options that single pistol carry doesn't. If primary is G17 then spares are two cc G26's but that is just what works for me. When I carry the 45acp (FNX-45 @ 15+1 cap) it is one OC and one in a shoulder rig, as that's about all the weight my old bones can handle these days.

"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 04:39:30 AM »
I am all in favor of a backup gun (or two), but carrying more guns instead of extra magazines seems like a lot of extra weight.

I currently carry a Glock 19 only, and will likely buy a Glock 17 as a new primary and keep the 19 on me as well as a backup.  AND some extra mags :)  Or just get another 19 cause I'm so bad ass.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
too many block owners...circuits overloading....

i like my smith and wesson glock look alike :) 1/2 the price of a block and just as reliable

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »

If you want to "play the odds," don't bother carrying at all.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »
If you want to "play the odds," don't bother carrying at all.

Thats a piss poor attitude to have. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »
Thats a piss poor attitude to have.

That's what I thought.  That's what Yankee Marshall advocated, playing the odds.  His opinion is, odds are you won't need spare ammo.  Five rounds is enough.

What if your mag fails?

What if you have multiple attackers?

What if you miss more than you assume you're going to?

It never ceases to amaze me that some people think they're going to fire one or two shots, perfect center of mass, no misses, under pressure, and stop the threat(s). 

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
we might as well IHOC rifles if we want to make sure we are prepared right?  what if the guy is wearing body armor?  what if you have 150 bullets and you get attacked by 151 people? what if the entire box of ammo you loaded your 3 magazines with has dud primers? what if your gun fails? what good will the extra mags do? what if the attacker carries 1 more mag than you?  What if you missed with every single shot you took? What if jerry miculek decided to have a shootout with you?  what if...  This is exactly why i agree with the videos statement if you are going to prepared for something in that small of odds, you might as well stay inside.  I have no problem with people carrying extra mags, but i normally dont.  I usually have my M&P with 13 rounds, and sometimes have my LCR too.  I feel plenty prepared carrying my revolver by itself with no extra ammo though.  I mean, seriously.  Im not preparing for the Zombie apocalypse, or a mass shooting, because a.) im not that paranoid, and b.) i dont normally go anywhere something like that could take place.  The Grocery store, the gas station, the hardware store, and driving to work are places i feel comfortable with what i carry...

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: When open carrying, do you conceal spare mags?
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 03:21:06 PM »
That's what I thought.  That's what Yankee Marshall advocated, playing the odds.  His opinion is, odds are you won't need spare ammo.  Five rounds is enough.

What if your mag fails?

What if you have multiple attackers?

What if you miss more than you assume you're going to?

It never ceases to amaze me that some people think they're going to fire one or two shots, perfect center of mass, no misses, under pressure, and stop the threat(s).

This is sound reasoning IMHO. To add - what if your primary is shot, malfunctions, your strong arm becomes disabled or is engaged in a life or death struggle with attacker(s), etc...?

Carrying a side arm is about LIFE INSURANCE in a SHTF scenario, some is better than none, more is usually better should things go super bad. Me personally - I'll take all that I can bear to carry.  Not about being a badass, about staying alive. YMMV.

Odds are you'll never get in a serious car wreck...so maybe it's cost effective to pull the air bag fuse...right???  Just saying...
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
Most people miss their fist few shots in a panic, leaving a 5-6 round guy with only a couple rounds left.

Of course you can create a "what if" scenario to justify needing more and more ammo/guns and it would never end.  However, ammunition does have bad primers sometimes and I'm not going to rely on 5-6 rounds when I can easily carry 7 times that with one gun and a pocket.

I don't want to be the dead guy because I ran out of bullets with my 6 round gun that's for sure.  Sometimes people need 10 rounds to stop them because of not hitting anything vital and are so drugged out they don't even know they are being shot.

It's true that when a criminal has a gun pointed at them they usually bail (but not always) it's true that your chances of needing to fire are even slimmer (but not always)  I'm certainly not going to rely on the chance of the bad guy (OR GUYS) seeing a gun and leaving me alone.

But if someone is confident enough to carry ONE round, then do what makes you feel safe is how I see it.  I may not agree but do what you think is best.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 08:46:35 PM »
Most people miss their fist few shots in a panic, leaving a 5-6 round guy with only a couple rounds left.

Of course you can create a "what if" scenario to justify needing more and more ammo/guns and it would never end.  However, ammunition does have bad primers sometimes and I'm not going to rely on 5-6 rounds when I can easily carry 7 times that with one gun and a pocket.

I don't want to be the dead guy because I ran out of bullets with my 6 round gun that's for sure.  Sometimes people need 10 rounds to stop them because of not hitting anything vital and are so drugged out they don't even know they are being shot.

It's true that when a criminal has a gun pointed at them they usually bail (but not always) it's true that your chances of needing to fire are even slimmer (but not always)  I'm certainly not going to rely on the chance of the bad guy (OR GUYS) seeing a gun and leaving me alone.

But if someone is confident enough to carry ONE round, then do what makes you feel safe is how I see it.  I may not agree but do what you think is best.

I know plenty of people who carry the little 1 or 2 round Saturday night special pistols. 1 round is better than no rounds. 100 rounds is better than 10 rounds. Full auto is much better than semi auto. 2 guns is better than 1. There is always something better...  It is just up to you as an individual to draw the line at what you feel comfortable carrying.  As for me, I'm 100% confident in my 5 rounds.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »
I know plenty of people who carry the little 1 or 2 round Saturday night special pistols. 1 round is better than no rounds. 100 rounds is better than 10 rounds. Full auto is much better than semi auto. 2 guns is better than 1. There is always something better...  It is just up to you as an individual to draw the line at what you feel comfortable carrying.  As for me, I'm 100% confident in my 5 rounds.

Yep that's true.  And that's good that you are 100% confident, that's how we all need to be.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
when i conceal, i typically dont carry a spare mag...cause when i conceal it is almost exclusively in states that do not allow OC(see texas, florida) so i have to worry about printing, the non OC states are also the only ones i prefer to wear an iwb with.

when open carrying, i have two mags on a fobus mag pouch about my 4 position(im a lefty)

this is also my first post in......like 3 years. Hooray me!
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
when i conceal, i typically dont carry a spare mag...cause when i conceal it is almost exclusively in states that do not allow OC(see texas, florida) so i have to worry about printing,

Neither printing nor accidental exposure are against the law in Texas and Florida.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
Might as well cite relevant statutes:

Florida

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.— (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

Texas

Section 46.035, (1) (a)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »
when i conceal, i typically dont carry a spare mag...cause when i conceal it is almost exclusively in states that do not allow OC(see texas, florida) so i have to worry about printing, the non OC states are also the only ones i prefer to wear an iwb with.

when open carrying, i have two mags on a fobus mag pouch about my 4 position(im a lefty)

this is also my first post in......like 3 years. Hooray me!
Welcome back lil_freak_66!!!

Did I say that out loud???    :hide:

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
you did. im sure it will mess up the space time continuum somehow.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.