Author Topic: Only law enforcement is trained enough to have guns  (Read 5283 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Only law enforcement is trained enough to have guns
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »
Connersville Police Chief David Counceller was looking at a .380-caliber handgun and pulled out his Glock 23 to compare it with other gun.

After he put the Glock back in his holster, Counceller tugged on his jacket. Within seconds, the Glock fired, striking him in the right leg.

For good measure, he swept a nearby customer with his live gun after shooting himself.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/call-6-investigators/drawstrings-can-cause-guns-many-law-enforcement-agencies-use-to-fire

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Re: Only law enforcement is trained enough to have guns
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
Some interesting things in the news video, including the fact this same chief shot himself once before, and a list of some other LEOs who've done the same thing, accidentally shot themselves because their drawstrings were caught in a Glock's trigger guard.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
Got to love it... not the dumbass PD chiefs fault for pulling out a live pistol to compare in a store with citizens around, it's his draw string.... if this was just Joe citizen...wonder if he would get off so easy?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:24:03 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »
More "Only LEOs are qualified to use guns."

Pennsylvania State Trooper Fatally Shot Pregnant Wife While Cleaning Gun

Joseph Miller was taking apart his personal .45-caliber pistol at home in East Norriton, but he did not realize the gun was loaded. The gun discharged, shooting Miller's wife, JoAnne, 34, in the head.

JoAnne, who was 22 weeks pregnant at the time, was rushed to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Her baby did not survive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/trooper-shot-wife-pregnant-pennsylvania_n_4934916.html

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 06:48:27 PM »
I think it's time to move forward with the ban on draw strings.  I am currently really careful about that, I hope I always maintain that state when holstering and don't ever get lax about it like some do.  I'm a little surprised that they didn't say "it just went off, I don't know what happened, I didn't do anything" like most people that have a negligent discharge.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
I think it's time to move forward with the ban on draw strings.  I am currently really careful about that, I hope I always maintain that state when holstering and don't ever get lax about it like some do.  I'm a little surprised that they didn't say "it just went off, I don't know what happened, I didn't do anything" like most people that have a negligent discharge.

But but but.. I thought it was accidental?! </troll>
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »
I don't quite agree with an outright ban on drawstrings. Maybe a waiting period to get one. And then allowed only in a reduced capacity length.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »
I don't quite agree with an outright ban on drawstrings. Maybe a waiting period to get one. And then allowed only in a reduced capacity length.

Clearly there will be a huge black market on full length drawstrings, we will need laws to prevent private sales so that we can protect our children.

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
More "Only LEOs are qualified to use guns."

Pennsylvania State Trooper Fatally Shot Pregnant Wife While Cleaning Gun

Joseph Miller was taking apart his personal .45-caliber pistol at home in East Norriton, but he did not realize the gun was loaded. The gun discharged, shooting Miller's wife, JoAnne, 34, in the head.

JoAnne, who was 22 weeks pregnant at the time, was rushed to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Her baby did not survive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/trooper-shot-wife-pregnant-pennsylvania_n_4934916.html

It always seems to get 'em in the head...  how does that happen!?    I always suspect foul play in these cases....

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Snagged clothing in holster causing discharge of firearm
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Another example of why the 1911 is the safest handgun to carry.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Raggs

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
Remember though that only POLICE should carry guns.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
his first mistake was unholstering it. his second mistake was fumbling with his coat.. glad to know cops are the best example of gun safety!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
SD40VE, you don't read the forum much, do you?   :toetap:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3871.0.html

Posted several days ago.   :P

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
SD40VE, you don't read the forum much, do you?   :toetap:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,3871.0.html

Posted several days ago.   :P
Hey, give the kid a break. He's one of those computer geeks.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
Hey, give the kid a break. He's one of those computer geeks.

All the more reason to

;D

Offline Jeff

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
That's not how you cut hair gryph PSH