Author Topic: OC'd at kids school.  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Raggs

OC'd at kids school.
« on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
I had to drop money off to the school for my two students so I called the school to give them a heads up that i WOULD be legally open carrying when I stopped in, The Principal asked that I leave the firearm in my vehicle which I refused to do. I went to the school, took care of the business at hand and left.

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
Re: OC'd at kids school.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »
Good on you, I still have not decided to kick the beehive yet. I know that it would not go over well as many in the school my kids go to seem to be quite the brady bunch. There will be a time where I finally say F*** it and carry but not quite yet.

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
I do wonder if there will be a note sent home to parents.  Will be interesting if there will be any action taken.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
I do wonder if there will be a note sent home to parents.  Will be interesting if there will be any action taken.

If there is I will let folks here know.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
What school district?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline casper

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »
I had to drop money off to the school for my two students so I called the school to give them a heads up that i WOULD be legally open carrying when I stopped in, The Principal asked that I leave the firearm in my vehicle which I refused to do. I went to the school, took care of the business at hand and left.
I thought you were opposed to informing an establishment of legal activity ?

Offline Raggs

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
I thought you were opposed to informing an establishment of legal activity ?

Not at all, I am against asking permission for a legal activity. Informing the school in my opinion was the way to have a smooth encounter. You may do it however feels right for you, this was right for me.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »
Not at all, I am against asking permission for a legal activity. Informing the school in my opinion was the way to have a smooth encounter. You may do it however feels right for you, this was right for me.
Raggs

Re: We should have a rally on 3 March in GR
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »

Quote from: bigt8261 on January 15, 2014, 02:10:40 PM
I've been considering it, but I need to get ahold of the establishment.

Why? If a bunch of people were planning on meeting there without firearms do you think they would call them? We say carrying is normal and then we do abnormal things like calling restaurants to see if they care if we bring them business?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
pretty sure the conversation around here would have been like this.

Hi, going to legally open carry in your school when I drop off money.

NO YOU ARE NOT.

Well yes i am, I am licensed and it's legal I am just giving you a heads up not to panic.

I'm calling the cops, you can talk to them in the parking lot and the school will have to go into lockdown.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »
pretty sure the conversation around here would have been like this.

Hi, going to legally open carry in your school when I drop off money.

NO YOU ARE NOT.

Well yes i am, I am licensed and it's legal I am just giving you a heads up not to panic.

I'm calling the cops, you can talk to them in the parking lot and the school will have to go into lockdown.

That would have sucked if it had gone down that way, I would have talked to the cops if needed and then still end up dropping off the money.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »

Why? If a bunch of people were planning on meeting there without firearms do you think they would call them? We say carrying is normal and then we do abnormal things like calling restaurants to see if they care if we bring them business?

Point?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 06:34:34 PM »
Point?
You criticize someone else for wanting to call ahead. But you defend your doing it as being a courtesy. Which is it? That's all.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
I did what I thought was prudent in this situation. I will PM the exact answer if you are interested.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
I did what I thought was prudent in this situation. I will PM the exact answer if you are interested.

I'm really more interested in what school district this is. Attempting to compile information on school districts.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:45 PM »
That would have sucked if it had gone down that way, I would have talked to the cops if needed and then still end up dropping off the money.

GOOD.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
What Raggs did may be a good thing to do. Once the school knows you, if they know you're coming and call the police, there may be grounds for illegal use of 911 or harassment.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: OC'd at kids school.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
What Raggs did may be a good thing to do. Once the school knows you, if they know you're coming and call the police, there may be grounds for illegal use of 911 or harassment.

THIS^^^

In some cases one may want to avoid - if possible causing innocent people grief, do to the schools irrational & illegal policies.

If this started happening all around the country - the schools would have little choice but to admit that their no legal carry policies are ...well useless & in violation of many states around the country's laws.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993