Author Topic: Open carry  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Larry Doug

Open carry
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »
I am new to this sight. I was wandering, how long has Michigan been an open carry state? I seem to remember a friend saying it was legal back in the early 80,s. I have a CPL, and my wife has one as well. I'm glad I found this sight, as it is very informative.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Re: Open carry
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
Welcome to the MOC website!

In the state of Michigan,Open carry has never been illegal,certain local municipalities were allowed to ban the carry of firearms inside they're limits up until 1990 however,when preemption took over.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Agent1

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
since 1839 as a State.
Forever before that!

May that never change!
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:44:04 AM »
The main issue was transporting your pistol to the place where you were going to oc.  For many years, transporting a pistol in MI was only allowed for VERY specific reasons.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).