Author Topic: Is this considered legal open carrying? (picture included)  (Read 3806 times)

Offline potcha

Is this considered legal open carrying? (picture included)
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
I do some walking and do not wear pants with belts and am a bit too large for shoulder holsters. Since I don't have my CPL, I have to open carry. My solution was to wear my gun openly on the outside of my backpack. I achieved this by adding Velcro tape to the holster and the backpack and tightly tying the bands of the backpack around the outside of the holster. Since this is clearly visible, this would be legally open carrying still, correct?

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: Is this considered legal open carrying? (picture included)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
Perhaps, but tactically, there are concerns. It appears to be at the very rear of the pack, well out of your visual field. In a crowd, it could easily get snatched.

There are some duty belts that fasten with velcro that could be worn over your clothing, and provide a secure, tactically sound  method to keep your sidearm handy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?usersearchquery=belt&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=15937
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
Re: Is this considered legal open carrying? (picture included)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:08:50 AM »
You can carry a (gasp) long gun strapped (don't do it) to your back so I don't see this being much different.  Open is open. Personally I would not carry like this for a number of reasons...  You can get cheap drop legs online that will fit most pistols. Or  like shadow said, get a tac belt for carrying   
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Is this considered legal open carrying? (picture included)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 08:29:16 AM »
I have concerns about it being snatched and your ability to readily access it when you need it.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).