Author Topic: "Do you even know how to DNS" or how I learned to hate bluehost support  (Read 14444 times)

Offline hevymetal

Re: "Do you even know how to DNS" or how I learned to hate bluehost support
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
So that I can let, say, the A record for forum.dev.miopencarry.org be generated and handled automatically by my VPS, and not requiring me to edit A records for the dev environment on bluehost...

You should be able to edit advanced DNS settings @ whoever is hosting DNS for the domain.

Add the A name record through the DNS interface pointing to the IP of your webserver.

Depending on the webserver you are using (Apache or IIS) for your VPS you will also need to edit the server config file.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/quickreference.html

might help to setup the config.

If you need help PM me and I'll give you my phone #. 23 Years in the IT industry and it's still more then a job, it's an adventure.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
"Do you even know how to DNS" or how I learned to hate bluehost support
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »

Generally when I get poor service like this, I take my money elsewhere.

We have paid up with them
3 years in advance.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
3 years in advance.

unless they gave you one hell of a deal on hosting. i dont see a need to pay that far in advance. ive seen too many osting companies go under and clients left high and dry when they do. i find it best to just invest in an old linux box and run apache on it. or find an old server and slap iis on it. run from home. problem solved.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
You should be able to edit advanced DNS settings @ whoever is hosting DNS for the domain.

Add the A name record through the DNS interface pointing to the IP of your webserver.

Depending on the webserver you are using (Apache or IIS) for your VPS you will also need to edit the server config file.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/quickreference.html

might help to setup the config.

If you need help PM me and I'll give you my phone #. 23 Years in the IT industry and it's still more then a job, it's an adventure.

Oh, trust me, I'm not a complete stranger around BIND or Apache.

So basically the scenario is this:

I run cPanel/WHM on my VPS. I have a dev.miopencarry.org account (and zone) setup on the box, as well as a zone for dev.michiganopencarry.org (I'm a lazy bastard, so I'm letting cPanel handle all the back end vhost config action).

This way, as I create and remove vhosts under the dev.miopencarry.org or dev.michiganopencarry.org zones (such as forums.dev.miopencarry.org, tomfoolery.dev.miopencarry.org, irungunz.dev.miopencarry.org, etc), I won't have to deal with A records over on bluehost.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline hevymetal

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »
@ jgillmanjr : PM sent, call me it will be much easier.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
3 years in advance.
Then why should they bother with good service?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 06:04:53 AM »
Oh hey, they have a chat system.

Let's see what kind of fun can be had... after a 24 minute wait.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »
Amazing...

[Initial Question] Provider: Bluehost - My Domain is: "miopencarry.org" I need someone who knows what NS records are in re ticket #YWQ-41355-644
(3:59) [System] Customer has entered chat and is waiting for an agent.
(4:32) [ChatAutoAssigned] {"staffId":"479"}
(4:32) [Maxwell M.] Hello, thank you for contacting support. My name is Maxwell.  I am currently on with multiple customers so your patience is greatly appreciated.
(4:33) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Understood.
(4:34) [Maxwell M.] I am reviewing your ticket, but I am not sure I understand your question.
(4:34) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Ok. So basically all I need is to have two sets of NS records setup in the appropriate zone files.
(4:35) [Jason Gillman Jr.] cPanel itself doesn't allow adding NS records, and I'm guessing that ns1 and ns2.bluehost.com aren't utilizing BIND on WHM
(4:35) [Maxwell M.] Actually you can only set up name servers if we are the registrar
(4:36) [Maxwell M.] If we are not your registrar, then you can't change the name servers in our cPanel
(4:36) [Jason Gillman Jr.] I'm not changing any name servers. I merely need NS records added
(4:36) [Jason Gillman Jr.] dev.miopencarry.org 3600 IN NS ns1.hookerswithhandguns.com.
dev.miopencarry.org 3600 IN NS ns2.hookerswithhandguns.com.

dev.michiganopencarry.org 3600 IN NS ns1.hookerswithhandguns.com.
dev.michiganopencarry.org 3600 IN NS ns2.hookerswithhandguns.com.
(4:37) [Jason Gillman Jr.] All you would need to do is add those to the appropriate zone files
(4:39) [Jason Gillman Jr.] And I mistakenly forgot to put a period after dev.miopencarry.org and dev.michiganopencarry.org
(4:40) [Maxwell M.] So, you want to add name servers for a sub domain?
(4:40) [Jason Gillman Jr.] So it should be:

dev.miopencarry.org. 3600 IN NS ns1.hookerswithhandguns.com.
dev.miopencarry.org. 3600 IN NS ns2.hookerswithhandguns.com.

dev.michiganopencarry.org. 3600 IN NS ns1.hookerswithhandguns.com.
dev.michiganopencarry.org. 3600 IN NS ns2.hookerswithhandguns.com.
(4:40) [Maxwell M.] Or is dev.miopencarry.org a fully registered domain?
(4:40) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Yes, I'm looking to delegate the dev.miopencarry.org. and dev.michiganopencarry.org. sub-zones to another set of nameservers
(4:41) [Maxwell M.] I think there is a bit on confusing here about DNS
(4:41) [Jason Gillman Jr.] How so?
(4:41) [Maxwell M.] Name servers are set up for domains that have been registered with ICAAN
(4:41) [Maxwell M.] You cannot set up name servers for a sub domain
(4:42) [Maxwell M.] You can only set name servers for fully qualified, registered domains
(4:42) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Um, you can certainly delegate out a sub-zone
(4:42) [Maxwell M.] You can point a sub domain to another host, but you cannot set up name servers for a sub domain.
(4:43) [Jason Gillman Jr.] You've reviewed the ticket, correct?
(4:45) [Maxwell M.] According to the information in the ticket, and I agree, it depends on the registrar. We do not allow is ourselves, and I do not know any registrars that do, but the agent answering the ticket seems to have known that godaddy does allow it. I am still reading through the ticket though
(4:45) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Ok, it has nothing to do with the registrar.
(4:46) [Jason Gillman Jr.] All that needs to happen is the addition of the above sets of NS records to BIND, or whatever you're using for named
(4:46) [Maxwell M.] It may be able to be done manually on the zone file, but we do not have software for that kind of a change written, and so do not support it
(4:47) [Maxwell M.] I have checked with our admins, and they agree
(4:47) [Jason Gillman Jr.] So you're telling me that you can't open the zone files, make the changes, and reload it (after making sure you increment the serial, of course)?
(4:51) [Maxwell M.] I personally do not have access to do that
(4:51) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Can you escalate this to someone who does?
(4:51) [Maxwell M.] The Admins do have that access, but they would not do that, as it is not something that we support
(4:51) [Maxwell M.] We don't support this kind of set up
(4:51) [Maxwell M.] If we did, they would build a tool to do it
(4:51) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Why not?
(4:51) [Jason Gillman Jr.] It's a set of NS records
(4:52) [Jason Gillman Jr.] There is a tool. It's called vim
(4:53) [Maxwell M.] The reason we don't allow it as you are describing is because it would affect the whole server. However, I have found a possible work around for you
(4:54) [Maxwell M.] The vim access would require root access, and would affect the whole server
(4:54) [Maxwell M.] But, If you try to assign the sub domain as an Addon domain, you may be able to get the system to add the name server entries
(4:54) [Maxwell M.] If you cannot get the sub domain to assign as an addon domain though, it wont be possible.
(4:54) [Jason Gillman Jr.] No, it would just affect the zone files in question
(4:55) [Maxwell M.] the information I am giving you is straight from a Jr. Admin
(4:55) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Ok, so what about a Senior Admin then?
(4:55) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Trust me, I've worked the support floor for a hosting company and I've done this sort of thing all the time.
(4:55) [Maxwell M.] It is not something they do. The only other option is to set up a dedicated server, and host your own name servers
(4:56) [Jason Gillman Jr.] That's amazing
(4:57) [Jason Gillman Jr.] How would I be able to get in contact with the support department head?
(4:58) [Maxwell M.] I am a technical supervisor here. The support department head can be reached through emailing feedback@bluehost.com
(4:59) [Jason Gillman Jr.] A supervisor and you don't even have the ability to make DNS changes. Outstanding. Alright, I guess I'll see where feedback@ actually lands me.
(5:0) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Have a nice day.
(5:0) [Maxwell M.] Have a wonderful day! Also, if you wouldn't mind, there is a short one question survey to rate my performance after the chat. This will tell my manager the quality of support that I have offered. I would appreciate it if you would click the "Rate and exit" button and take that. Thank you for your time!
(5:1) [Jason Gillman Jr.] Oh, one parting note - your support main page says all submissions are responded to in 24 hours - this ticket took almost two days to get an init.
(5:1) [ChatClosedByCustomer] {}
(5:1) [System] Chat closed by customer request.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:03 AM »
Also, reading the above is much better while listening to this in the background: (warning, contains foul language on repeat)
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »
And you call yourself an IT guy.   :|>

The guys at BlueBalls Hosting JockSupport don't seem to think so.   

I can see it now...
All three of them are sitting around Mom's basement in India laughing.  :banglaugh: :banglaugh: :banglaugh:
(In my worst Indian accent imitation) "I told him the jr supervisor I was. LOL He said talk to the sr boss he want to do. When he call back you play sr boss. Ha Ha."
"Oh and do not forget to have him take survey. That get them always." :gossip:
"I will respond to bad survey and find out how we can improve service. LMAO"  :banglaugh:

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering, this thread has been getting chuckles from a few folks at work. The others, I fear, should be on suicide watch.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »
I'm gonna laugh my ass off if they create NS records for a sub-zone but then bone you with an SOA record.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36