Author Topic: Gryphon, watch this video if you dare.  (Read 18809 times)

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Gryphon, watch this video if you dare.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
Then the .40S&W isn't the right choice. There is a lot of reasons why it isn't.
First in my opinion is the lack of diversity in the round. There is no +P .40S&W. It can only be loaded down. Not up. Sure there are a lot of different bullet configurations. But that's all.

The 9mm on the other hand can be loaded in a wide variety of charges to match bullet configurations.
Standard charge, +P, and +P+

Spot on! 40 is a OK round IMHO, but as Pat says...it has some lack in the variety department. If you reload  - 45acp is a fine choice, as it has a huge selection of bullets available. From 150gr to 230gr. Hell - I can buy atomic 45 acp off the shelf at my local wally world (185gr JHP +p that moves @ 1200+ fps) that far out performs s&w 40...don't get me wrong, I own a couple of 40s too. They just aren't my first choice for carry.
http://atomicammunition.com/45acp185.html
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Gryphon, watch this video if you dare.
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
Then the .40S&W isn't the right choice. There is a lot of reasons why it isn't.
First in my opinion is the lack of diversity in the round. There is no +P .40S&W. It can only be loaded down. Not up. Sure there are a lot of different bullet configurations. But that's all.

The 9mm on the other hand can be loaded in a wide variety of charges to match bullet configurations.
Standard charge, +P, and +P+

Bah.  The reason people like the 9mm is that it's easier shooting and not as snappy as the 40.  The advantage of this is that you can probably reacquire the target faster.  Once you start loading it up +P+ and stuff you've lost that advantage but retained the disadvantage of a smaller bullet.  So you have the worst of both worlds.  You have to load the 9mm up to get the performance of a .40.  Meh.

I like 9mm for people like my wife.  ;D

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Gryphon, watch this video if you dare.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »

I like 9mm for people like my wife.  ;D

Your wife must be a relatively weak person....?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »
Yes, she is.  5'2" 130#, although I think she could be trained to run a shotgun or .40 if she had to.  The other day when we got home I unloaded and set my K40 BUG on the counter.  She picked it up and said, "This is heavy!"   :lol:

Offline Jeff

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »
i like the .40 round :P i prefer something that will actually stop a threat :P :spank:

It stopped Martin  :hide:

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
my girl loves her 9mm, i hate it, with a passion lol. i guess it comes down to personal preference. .40 is a bit snappier. but its what i like :P

i had a 9mm i didnt like it at all. hence my girl now has it since i gave it to her and got reg put in her name.

i prefer 40 and 45.

to each their own

Offline Jeff

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
9mm performs just as well as the ones that start with a "4" it is why I chose it as my carry.  Nothing to do with recoil or anything else. 

But clearly .22LR is the best performer anyways.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Gryphon, watch this video if you dare.
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
9mm performs just as well as the ones that start with a "4" it is why I chose it as my carry.  Nothing to do with recoil or anything else. 

But clearly .22LR is the best performer anyways.

The stuff Dan carries is lighter than .22 LR....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:55:44 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
Your wife must be a relatively weak person....?

I was thinking she must be a strong woman to be married to gryphon!!! :P :P :P

The 40 is a tweener round.  I carry 380, 9mm and 45 but I won't carry 40.  I have a 357 that I might carry if I ever decide to hike in the big bad woods.   Nah, too much exercise!!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
The stuff Dam carries is lighter than .22 LR....

It's Dan.   :toetap:

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »
I was thinking she must be a strong woman to be married to gryphon!!! :P :P :P
There's some truth to that.   :)
The 40 is a tweener round.
It is, but everything is a compromise, especially in pistols.  I think most common carry rounds (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 Mag) are fine if you are comfortable with them, except one: .380 ACP.  Not nearly enough penetration to be a serious SD round.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
..... It is, but everything is a compromise, especially in pistols.  I think most common carry rounds (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 Mag) are fine if you are comfortable with them, except one: .380 ACP.  Not nearly enough penetration to be a serious SD round.

Not true if you carry FMJ in a 380.  Some say it has too much penetration!  But I use Corbon DPX or Buffalo Bore with the Barnes copper bullet for carry ammo.  I think they are a good combination of expansion and penetration. 

Most of the time that I carry a 380 it is the Bersa BT380 Plus .... 15 + 1 compared to a 1911 with 8+1.  The Bersa is comfortable carry, a good shooter and with 16 rounds I am comfortable with the stopping power in it.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
Not true if you carry FMJ in a 380.  Some say it has too much penetration!  But I use Corbon DPX or Buffalo Bore with the Barnes copper bullet for carry ammo.  I think they are a good combination of expansion and penetration. 

Most of the time that I carry a 380 it is the Bersa BT380 Plus .... 15 + 1 compared to a 1911 with 8+1.  The Bersa is comfortable carry, a good shooter and with 16 rounds I am comfortable with the stopping power in it.

it does come down to what you are comfortable with.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »
it does come down to what you are comfortable with.

Indeed. That is how it should be.

I still want to get something in 10mm :) but I wouldn't carry 10mm.... or would I?
 ;D

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
Not true if you carry FMJ in a 380.
I agree with the FMJ in .380 ACP.  When I had a .380 as a BUG that's what I put in it, but I sold it and went back to a .40 BUG.
Some say it has too much penetration!
Drugs are bad, mkay?   ;D  First of all, even a .380 FMJ isn't going to penetrate too far.  But second of all, there is no such thing as too much penetration, with the possible exception of being on an airplane.  The more penetration, the better.  People who say they want to bullet to stop inside a person so that it dumps every bit of KE in the body are just wrong.  I want it to go through the body as fast and as far as possible, and if it exits, so much the better.  Two holes are better than one!  That's twice as many places to leak from and more damage done to the body.  The only reason you wouldn't want that is collateral damage behind the target, and the chances of that in almost any SD situation is very minimal (think about it, think about where you are going to be where you are likely to be involved in a SD encounter).
Buffalo Bore
That's supposed to be pretty good stuff I think, but I've never tried it.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
The only reason you wouldn't want that is collateral damage behind the target, and the chances of that in almost any SD situation is very minimal (think about it, think about where you are going to be where you are likely to be involved in a SD encounter).

I guess this is probably true considering you aren't likely to be attacked with a lot of people around unless it's some sort of mass shooting, then again, everyone is going to either be running away from the person or hiding under a table.  So the likelihood of penetrating through them and hitting someone else is probably pretty low, I hadn't thought about that.

So 10mm it is, I don't want there to be two holes, I want them to be cut in half!!  I want them to look like those chickens in the RIP ammo video I watched.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
gryphon, can you post a link to the article?  Its a good read.   :)

Looked it up for you. http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=192968#p192968

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »
Thanks!   I was waiting to get home to Google it!!   :)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »
Thanks!   I was waiting to get home to Google it!!   :)
I posted the entire thing in my earlier message, so you're not really getting anything new.   :)

It gives you a starting off point, though to read other threads if you want.  Like the guy who killed a 1,200 pound moose with his Five-seveN with one shot.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »
Indeed. That is how it should be.

I still want to get something in 10mm :) but I wouldn't carry 10mm.... or would I?
 ;D

AEDC (almost every day carry)= 10mm Rock Island VZ Tactical- 135gn 1650fps of goodness, but sometimes a Browning HP with 124gn Golden Sabres +P+, occasionally 45ACP 1911's stoked with SXTs, and rarely a PT100 stoked with Rangers.....
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.