Author Topic: Sister - "why are you choosing that over family?"  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
Sister - "why are you choosing that over family?"
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
I went out Discing with my sister's boyfriend, my sister son, and 3 of my brothers in an attempt to see how this boyfriend is around her son.  I was carrying that day.  Everything without a hitch til the next day.  My sister  started texting my family members trying to find out "what was on my hip".  I texted her, cause it doesn't make any sense to beat around the bush.  She was trying to find out if what i was carrying was a water bottle. To me that was a bunch of bull.  I let her know that I got my cpl and that I know we don't see eye to eye.  She is very much left minded. I told her that it never left my side. It wasn't taken out for people to see. That no one got hurt.  We played 18 holes and the gun did not go off.  Then she came back with "I don't understand why you are choosing that instead of family."  Funny thing is that family is one of the reason why I do it.  But I didn't mention that to her; it escaped my mind then. I understand her intention of not wanting her son around guns. But when I'm out in public and not on her property, I don't feel its right for me to be denied to carry just cause someone doesn't like it.

The more I carry around family, the more you see how immature people are about the whole thing.  When I say immature, I really mean childish acting.  Perhaps its that they don't know how to react.  Coping mechanism?    I've witnessed a brother do the whole pretending to be a gangster around me. One who sarcastically says "Oooh are you nervous with that gun on your hip. Police might shoot you". 

But all in all, just because I have a CPL, she won't let her kid around me.  It doesn't matter if I might be conceal carrying or open carrying.

Offline casper

Re: Sister - "why are you choosing that over family?"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
Do what is right for you and let the sheeple fend for themselves. People like that will never learn. Don't waist your breath trying to change the way they think, they are to far gone. Media and false information has corrupted their thought process. It's to bad they are trying to make sheeple out of their children though.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »
Some people think the mere presence of a gun makes you unsafe, even if it's just laying on a table.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »
I will use the point and get away with it ALL DAY LONG good sir.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
Damn I love whorey red lipstick.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Raggs

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
They are family don't write them off just yet. Keep carrying, be calm, answer their sarcastic questions politely and be a good representative of a typical responsible gun owner. Persevere.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 07:38:11 PM »
I won't write them off.  They are family.  Though I did find out why my sister is so against guns, after talking to my brother about it. Her son's dad was very controlling and abusive.  He had guns in his place.  Always had one in his bedroom.  We don't know if he threatened her with one or she just tied guns to violent controlling people.  I think she wants to protect her son from "people like that".  I'm going to give it time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:26:28 PM by Xpiatio »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
Her son's dad was very controlling and abusive that had guns in his place.

Don't make us parse sentences.  You mean her ex-husband?  Anyway, she picked him.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
Don't make us parse sentences.  You mean her ex-husband?  Anyway, she picked him.

no, I mean, "her son's dad".  They never married.  She left before giving birth.  Not even his name is on the Birth Certificate. 

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »

This is not a "traditional" world we live in.  Sometime when you have a couple of hours I'll tell you about my wife's kids and their father's family!   Its hard to say who is married to who and who isn't married to someone and who has been married to someone 2 or three times!    :gossip:

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
This is not a "traditional" world we live in.  Sometime when you have a couple of hours I'll tell you about my wife's kids and their father's family!   Its hard to say who is married to who and who isn't married to someone and who has been married to someone 2 or three times!    :gossip:
That's nothing...
My mother's brother married my father's sister. :crazy:  :coocoo:
Christmas at the grandparents was always fun.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
i have a friend who after he married his wife. her dad and his mom started dating. if they ever get married..... WTF clustersnafu

Offline Jeff

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
Noth'n says lov'n like marry'n yer cousin.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »
They never married.  She left before giving birth.  Not even his name is on the Birth Certificate.

Doesn't that mean the state cannot go after him for child support then?

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
that would be correct. Not having him on the B.C., it would create some security of making sure she and her son would be "safe".  The father doesn't know he has a kid.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
I am so confused.  If she is so afraid of the guy, why did she choose him in the first place?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
I am so confused.  If she is so afraid of the guy, why did she choose him in the first place?
Love is blind. D'uh!

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:07 PM »
*sings*

Love hurts, love scars
Love wounds, and mars
Any heart, not tough
Or strong enough
To take a lot of pain
Take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
Love hurts
Love hurts

*bows*

Offline welshj

• First Name (Displayed): Joel
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 10:23:29 AM »
I won't write them off.  They are family.  Though I did find out why my sister is so against guns, after talking to my brother about it. Her son's dad was very controlling and abusive.  He had guns in his place.  Always had one in his bedroom.  We don't know if he threatened her with one or she just tied guns to violent controlling people.  I think she wants to protect her son from "people like that".  I'm going to give it time.

My first post, and it's been awhile on this thread...

But if things are going good, offer to teach her about gun safety.
Cover the four basic rules, and show her how to clear and or render one inoperable.

My daughter had a gun issue for a long time. When she mentioned it after her daughter was born, I told her that even if she didn't want one, or like them- she should at least know how to make sure one is safe in the event that she was ever in the situation where one was found / left unsecure by someone / her child ever picked one up at someone else's home.

I gave her a good long class using as many different types of firearms as I could.
She actually listened and learned as much as I could hope for. Told me thank you for taking the time to teach her, and she had learned some things she was unaware of about guns that eased her mind some.

A few months later-
She was shooting my AR15, my 45 and .22's with me and my siblings.
Now, is looking to get her first handgun for home defense... because of her 8mo old.

I realize it may not work out as well as my situation did.
But it helped that I presented her with a logical situation, because many of her friends and family own guns and often babysits for her.

Offline SteveS

• AmmoDump
  • First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »
Doesn't that mean the state cannot go after him for child support then?

It depends.  If the mother is receiving state benefits, then she will lose them if she doesn't provide the information.  The state will then go after the father so that the taxpayers don't have to foot the bill for the child's care. 

ETA, I am glad the situation turned out well.  A fair number of people are not comfortable around guns and will respond positively to them if it is done carefully and intelligently.