Author Topic: Glock 42  (Read 4355 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Glock 42
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »
My wife picked up a Glock 42 from Schupbachs in Jackson.  Nice little pistol.  She thought my 26 was too wide. She wanted a striker fire and she didn't see the XDS9 as being much smaller then the Glock 26.

We took it to the Sharon Valley DNR shooting range last weekend and had some mixed results with ammo like others are commenting online.  I would label them all as failure to eject.  Lots of stove-pipes.  Occasionally the slide would kick back and re-chamber the spent casing.  Racking the slide extracted and ejected.  The PMC were the scary ones.  There was two instances were the gun didn't go into battery, there was a light pin strike on the primer.  The rounds both fired when chambered a second time.  On the flip side, my wife and I got some practice clearing jams.

The 42 is pretty accurate.  The closest Sharon Valley target is 10 yards.  8 inch circles were easy.  In contrast, I was getting about 50% on paper with the LCP.

Ammo that didn't work well (all 380, obviously).
Blazer Brass 95gr FMJ (24 rds)
Blazer Aluminum 95gr FMJ (24 rds)
PMC 90gr FMJ (12 rds)
Remington Golden Saber 102Gr JHP (12 rds)
Winchester Super-X 85gr JHP (12rds)

Ammo that worked 100% of the time
Winchester 95gr FMJ (48 rds)
Federal Hydra-Shok 90gr JHP (20 rds)

Anyone else have a Glock 42 with similar experiences? 
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
Re: Glock 42
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:07:53 AM »
seems to be alot of complaints about this particular model glock.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
Please don't take this personally, but we've been struggling with my wife's XDs and I've discovered two things

Magazine follower has a tendency to hang up, leading to failure to feed.  I've done some polishing and added a drop of oil to help smooth that out a bit.

Second thing, she wasn't gripping it tight enough.  When I got her to lean into it a bit more, it stopped the stove piping.

It's also not liking A1 reloaded ammo, but it appears to like Gold Dot.  I have not run my own reloads through it yet.

These smaller guns get pretty picky about how clean they are, how one holds them, and the particular gun food you pick.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »

Magazine follower has a tendency to hang up, leading to failure to feed.  I've done some polishing and added a drop of oil to help smooth that out a bit.

I like using a dry lube in Magazines like KG10 dry moly.   Keeps them from attracting dirt and sand when I drop them on the ground. 

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
I like using a dry lube in Magazines like KG10 dry moly.   Keeps them from attracting dirt and sand when I drop them on the ground.
Great idea!