Author Topic: what can I do?  (Read 10824 times)

Offline bohican

• First Name (Displayed): Matt
what can I do?
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
So my neighbor is having an issue with me OCing on my property and continuously makes remarks towards me about. Is there anything I can do to help get this to stop?

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
Welcome, let me ask you a question that may help you.

Why do you carry?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:43:20 PM »
You can just let him piss and moan under his breath, eventually he will get used to it.  It's his issue not yours.  Until he engages you directly about it I wouldn't do or say anything.  If he does, just explain that it's legal and that you do it to protect yourself and your family and that he has nothing to worry about. 

Offline bohican

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »

Why do you carry?

I carry because I live in a city where people are to sensitive to the OC issue.  I also carry to protect my family.  I do not act any different from my normal self when I OC with the exception of the simple fact that I need to remember that I do have a firearm on my side so I have to take the extra steps to prove how a responsible gun owners are when they OC.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
simple response. its my property and i will do as i please within the lines of the law while i am on it.

honestly he cant do anything about it. i would explain that since this is my property i can carry my firearm in ways that are acceptable under the law. my first and foremost reason for doing so is for my protection and the protection of my friends and family. last i would kindly ask them to refrain from verbal abuse while i am in compliance with the law.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:21 AM »

Why do you carry?

I carry because I live in a city where people are to sensitive to the OC issue.  I also carry to protect my family.  I do not act any different from my normal self when I OC with the exception of the simple fact that I need to remember that I do have a firearm on my side so I have to take the extra steps to prove how a responsible gun owners are when they OC.

While it may not make him stop, there's your answer.

And, why does it bother him?

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
Basically, there are two ways of dealing with the neighbor depending on your relationship with the neighbor and his/her level of distaste for your actions.

The first way would be to sit down with the neighbor and talk. Perhaps even bring them to an OC lunch or seminar.

The other would be to marginalize, ignore, and protect yourself from your neighbor. Do you have an audio recorder? If not, I would suggest getting one. That way if your neighbor tries to tell the police that you did something you didn't, then you will have proof of a false police report.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
The other would be to marginalize, ignore, and protect yourself from your neighbor. Do you have an audio recorder? If not, I would suggest getting one. That way if your neighbor tries to tell the police that you did something you didn't, then you will have proof of a false police report.

#1 rule of OC imho is record EVERYTHING. it may seem a bit excessive but it may save your rear end one day

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »
I asked why because you should be able to express this to your neighbor.

Like Tom said, try to sit down and talk to your neighbor explain why you carry, find out why they are worried and ease their mind. You carry to protect yourself and family. As far as to what you can do, you can do all kinds of things, would it be appropriate? Probably not.

Offline bohican

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 09:36:31 PM »
So to continue on this issue, my neighbor once again started swearing up a storm, calling me all sorts of names because I open carry. I attempted to inform him that if he has an issue with what I do he is more than welcome to call a LEO out here to resolve the matter. Well after saying this to him he didn't like it and got completely irate. I tried to record all of this with my phone but didn't know my phone stops recording when I shut the screen off.  This guy is honestly making me fear that I may actually have to protect myself and family after the threats he keeps making. I don't know what I can do at this point. But for the sake of myself and my family this needs to stop. I don't want to have to use my pistol to protect my family unless absolutely necessary. Is there anyone else who can offer me some advice on this situation?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »
For starters, I'd carry or wear something like this.  You should consider carrying one of these anyway when you OC in public.  Go ahead and get one now and use it instead of your phone when your neighbor is outside.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »
Call the cops on him if he's threatening you. But it would be nice to have a recording of it

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:19:10 AM »
Call the cops on him if he's threatening you. But it would be nice to have a recording of it

I wouldn't call the cops unless it was a last resort.  Introducing LEOs into any situation is not good IMO.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 07:16:15 AM »
Wonder what he would do if you told him you were recording the encounter?  Security camera setups are pretty inexpensive these days.

I have this unit, and my one regret is not going with 8 cameras and high res. 
http://defender-usa.com/index.eng.html

I did not have audio recording, and the units user interface is a bit challenging... but it works.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:52:46 AM »
Dude if he is threatening you, I agree with Jeff. Call the cops.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
Dude if he is threatening you, I agree with Jeff. Call the cops.

I would want video/audio proof though.  I'm quite certain if the cops came the neighbor would just make up a bunch of lies about "this guy keeps threatening me and my family, he's always pointing his gun at my house and bla bla bla"  then if the media gets a hold of it, the story will be "gun toting psycho threatens neighbor on a daily basis, man is finally standing up for himself and his family"  -police raid crazy guys house to fine and arsenal of assault style military super machine kill guns,  and millions of ammo rounds bullets with high capacity. 

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »
I would want video/audio proof though.  I'm quite certain if the cops came the neighbor would just make up a bunch of lies about "this guy keeps threatening me and my family, he's always pointing his gun at my house and bla bla bla"  then if the media gets a hold of it, the story will be "gun toting psycho threatens neighbor on a daily basis, man is finally standing up for himself and his family"  -police raid crazy guys house to fine and arsenal of assault style military super machine kill guns,  and millions of ammo rounds bullets with high capacity.
get a recorder, make sure you record the next confrontation where you stay nice and calm and he starts threatening again. in this day and age he's probably guilty of making terrorist threats if you have it recorder.

i agree i f you call them now he will probably just say you did something illegal with your gun

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »
Hey Matt where do you live? Do you want to have some friends over for a BBQ?

I would think you might get a few responses here if you do.

Then there would be more recordings of any conversations.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
A BBQ you say?

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
Hey Matt where do you live? Do you want to have some friends over for a BBQ?

I would think you might get a few responses here if you do.

Then there would be more recordings of any conversations.

+1