Author Topic: Audio Recorder- Space not just batteries  (Read 4062 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
Audio Recorder- Space not just batteries
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:35:23 PM »
I had my audio recorder on me when I OC'd at the Vicksburg village office. I wanted to record the interaction for the OC aspect, and I wanted a record of the information I was getting to supplement my handwritten notes.

When I got home, I discovered that a 30 min interaction was just the first couple of minutes. I thought it was my battery until I went to pull of the audio I wanted to save and realized I had just ran out of space.

So in addition to making sure you have charged batteries before you leave the house, make sure there is room on the device. SMH....
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Audio Recorder- Space not just batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
Ran out of space?  My digital recorder holds hours and hours of audio.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
Yeah, mine holds 24 hours worth. I had multiple folders it was saving to for some reason, that I did not see until I hooked it up to my computer.

I was deleting everything in the one folder once I got home, if I didn't need it, so I was surprised that it was full. Somehow I managed to create and save to multiple folders. My guess is that I forgot to shut it off a few times and hit the record button somehow.

Until today, my only concern was the battery. I know it is some form of user error, probably the gremlins that sneak in when I'm asleep. :/

I'm just glad I found out before I had some sort of encounter where I really needed it for evidence to protect me.

Just like your firearm, make sure your other equipment is in working order to avoid surprises.

I messed up. Maybe my admission will help others avoid a problem when it counts.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »
I've got the Sony ICD-PX312.  It has four recording quality modes ranging from 22 hours on highest quality (192k SHQ) all the way to 536 hours on lowest quality (8k mono).

But you are right, it pays to check your recorder every so often and make sure it has sufficient memory and battery life!  Good lesson to remember.