Author Topic: Shots Fired in Lansing Neighborhood  (Read 2767 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Shots Fired in Lansing Neighborhood
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:22:26 AM »
So, tonight, around 8:00 PM, I went to my gun club over near Dimondale (SW of Lansing) and squeezed off a few target practice rounds.  I came home -- after buying some Q-Tips (cleaning supplies) and talking to my neighbor, I took my seat on my front stoop (where I usually clean my weapon) with all of my cleaning supplies and I proceeded to field strip my Springfield.  By now it is about 10:15 PM.  About 5 minutes into the job, I hear 2 gun shots (about 5-10 seconds apart) that came from the SSW of my house -- about 3-4 blocks away and clearly outdoors.

I did what any responsible person might do, I called the Lansing PD non-emergency dispatch hot line.  I told the dispatcher my location and what I heard and whereabouts I heard it from.  She said she'd notify the officers in the area.  Within 3-5 minutes, I see 3 cops cruising either down my road or the cross street.  The first one to go down my street stopped in front of my house.  At this point, I was cleaning the frame.  He could clearly see I had a handgun as my front stoop light was on.  The encounter goes thusly:

(Enter Stage right LPD in cruiser car and stops)
LPD: Have you heard gun shots in the area?
Me: Yes, I was the one who called it in.
LPD: You were the caller?
Me: Yes.
LPD: Where did you hear the shots come from?
Me: (Pointing) SSW of here.
LPD: By the school?
Me: That direction, but probably a block or two further south.
LPD: Thanks
(Exit Stage Left - LPD Cruiser car)

Within a minute or two, a second LPD unit went down my block in the same direction at a pretty heavy clip (probably about 35-45 mph -- given it's a residential neighborhood, that's pretty fast).  This unit didn't stop.

Aside from another car that went down the adjoining street just prior to the first car going down my street, I didn't see or hear from them again.

After I finished cleaning my pistol, I reassembled it, put away my cleaning supplies, and grabbed my loaded JHP magazine, loaded and holstered my firearm, and went for my evening walk (around 10:45 PM).
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Re: Shots Fired in Lansing Neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:59:15 AM »
I heard a few shots friday night over by ncg at around midnight,and again near my house around 3.

seems to be alot of shooting in the area eh?
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.