Open Carry Specific > OC Experiences

OC at Tee-ball game

(1/5) > >>

karudin:
Well tonight was my daughter's first tee-ball game. There were a ton of cars so I dropped everyone off and parked on the road and walked to the field. The fields are considered school property. After I got to the field my daughter was playing on I had a guy come up to me.

Guy: Sir are you a cop
Me : No
Guy: Well I'm going to need you to leave with your weapon
Me: I'm legally allowed to be here
Guy: This is school property, you are going to need to leave with your weapon.
Me: I understand that but I have a CPL and I am allowed to be here.
Guy: Sir you need to leave.
Me: No I am legally allowed to be here
Guy: Fine, whatever.

Then the guy storms off. I was going to cite MSP Legal Update 86 but by the time I thought of it he was already walking away. I kept a cool head (my wife and other kids, mother-in-law and her boyfriend, and my mother were all present) but the guy seemed to have a serious bug up his ass.

My question to you guys:

Everyone parks at the fields, so would the area where vehicles are parked be considered a parking lot? Legal update 86 states that CPL holders are allow to CC on school property as long as the pistol stays in the vehicle and parents/guardians are dropping off/picking up a child. Now I have an OWB and no cover so as soon as I get out of the vehicle it is no longer CC it is OC. Would this be a correct interpretation of this or is it if you drive onto school property the pistol has to be kept in the vehicle and I would be forced to park on the road and walk over?

Jeff:
People are just parking on side streets?  That wouldn't be school property nor a parking lot.

We would probably have to see a picture, or you can check to see where the schools property ends.  But if people are just parking on a road that neighbors the field it shouldn't be school property.

CV67PAT:
The parking lot is the place where the cars normally park. Once you leave that lot you are on the school property, as defined in the statute. You may drive onto school property if you are dropping off or picking up YOUR children with a CPL and the gun in your car. If you leave your car while in school property, you may not carry a concealed pistol. The play field, grass, etc is not a parking lot, even though some people park their cars there.

MSP #86 is not a legal document.

karudin:

--- Quote from: CV67PAT on May 04, 2014, 01:28:00 AM ---The parking lot is the place where the cars normally park. Once you leave that lot you are on the school property, as defined in . e statute. You may drive onto school property if you are dropping off or picking up YOUR ch. dren with a CPL and the gun in your car. If you leave your car while in school property, you may not carry a concealed pistol. The play field, grass, etc is not a parking lot, even though some people park their cars there.

MSP #86 is not a legal document.

--- End quote ---

I know MSP #86 is not a legal document but it has the laws that I needed to reference in it. Pat my question is though if I have an owb holster, when I get out I am not CC I am OC. So the only time i am CC is while in the vehicle. So going by the way it is written i wouldnt be breaking any laws 

Jeff - people park at the fields if there is space I had to park on the street due to no space.

TheQ:
A court might (on a good day) interpret the field is a parking lot, if it's being used (with the blessing of the school) for parking. Some buildings may not even have a fixed parking lot in smaller districts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version