Author Topic: OC at Tee-ball game  (Read 12043 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: OC at Tee-ball game
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 08:04:30 AM »
A close examination of the exception needs to be undertaken to preclude possible issues.

First is the phrase "...parent or legal guardian of a student..."
This doesn't include the grandparents, siblings, extended family members, or coaches, of the student.
Second is the phrase "...student of the school..."
If it's not your student's school, then they are not a "student of the school" that you are on driving around on school property.
Thirdly is the phrase "... if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the child from the school."
If a parent just drives on the school property to watch child's sports and then drive's away, a violation may have occurred.

Exempting the parking lots covers all of those. Really, the only added benefit is the areas that may not be parking lots, but then it only qualifies in very limited circumstances.

It would be great to drive my car through the front doors to the office. Hi, I'm here to pick up my child.

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »
Well I OC again last night at my daughters came but I didn't have any incidents. Apparently though, if facebook is to be believed, the police were called and said there was nothing that they could do. So I guess that is a win for me, local law enforcement knows the laws and isn't looking to harass people. The facebook post also mentions something about her friend saying the "loop hole" will be closed soon which made me chuckle because 1) its not a loop hole and 2) I haven't heard of any bills coming out that would do anything about OC on school property.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
Well I OC again last night at my daughters came but I didn't have any incidents. Apparently though, if facebook is to be believed, the police were called and said there was nothing that they could do. So I guess that is a win for me, local law enforcement knows the laws and isn't looking to harass people. The facebook post also mentions something about her friend saying the "loop hole" will be closed soon which made me chuckle because 1) its not a loop hole and 2) I haven't heard of any bills coming out that would do anything about OC on school property.
The "loophole" will be closed via the elimination of the cPFZ. That is the only legislative initiative affecting the "loophole" that I foresee occurring.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
The "loophole" will be closed via the elimination of the cPFZ. That is the only legislative initiative affecting the "loophole" that I foresee occurring.

We are talking about just eliminating them, and not doing anything to being able OC correct?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »
We are talking about just eliminating them, and not doing anything to being able OC correct?
While I don't have a seat at the table, it is my belief that the debacle experienced with Snyder over this will not be repeated. It may take a change in governor to accomplish, but that wouldn't be such a bad thing either.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update